Fetching and Displaying Info on a Website

unity06

Hi guys and girls,

I have been using Autoit for some basic scripts to sort data and other daily tasks with great success.

However I am not a very skilled user.

I have a question about a problem I need to solve and will appreciate any help.

I have a website and on that site I need to have an input box where a user will put in some information such as "Red Flower".

Then I will need the website to download and process the source of a page including the input as part of the page address.

Once the page source is downloaded I will need to process the HTML and extract some data and display it on a new page which will open.

I understand that I will need more than Autoit or perhaps not Autoit at all to do this, but if someone can point me in the right direction of how to create such a script/website page I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks

Take a look at the IE functions in the help file (or the FF.au3 UDF if you prefer Firefox - that one is a bit harder to use).  You probably don't need the whole page.  Many of the functions let you get information by object within IE.  For example, you could get your "Red Flower" from targeting that specific input box.

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

Take a look at the IE functions in the help file (or the FF.au3 UDF if you prefer Firefox - that one is a bit harder to use).  You probably don't need the whole page.  Many of the functions let you get information by object within IE.  For example, you could get your "Red Flower" from targeting that specific input box.

I just read your reply and my original message. I think I didnt explain it very well. I need the whole process to run online. I think its called "server side" or something. Basically so my program runs on my website. Same as for example you go on google and you type Red Flower into a box and then it displays a load of results when you click search. I need something similar. But not sure how it is done.

Oh, so if I understand you correctly you want to create a server side solution in HTML.  I think this is probably not the best forum for that.  I will start you off by saying that you want to lookup form submission.  The "Red Flower" input box is likely passing that data back to the server with a "GET" or a "POST" as part of a form (which would be wrapped in <form></form> tags in the HTML.  After that, you need a server side script (PHP or something) to get that information and do something with it.    I recommend looking around http://www.w3schools.com/ for some examples of that.

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt