Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt 1.2

(2 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

I wrote an introductory text for new programmers to learn how to code using AutoIt.   It follows along with the help file for the most part – but provides additional context and attempts to connect all the information in a cohesive way for someone without any programming experience.  I find the help file to be an AMAZING resource and the text I wrote in no way reflects any opinion to the contrary.  Rather, it was created from the perspective of someone who struggled early on with the most basic concepts and thought that a hand-holding guide could be useful.  I was also inspired by code.org who is trying to encourage people to learn to code.  I thought – what better way than to use free tools that you can download at any time with access to an amazing community?  If only there was a guide to walk people through it …

Full discussion about the file can be found here: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/174205-introductory-learn-to-program-text-using-au3/

What's New in Version 1.2

Released

*UPDATED VERSION* Gutted images to reflect use of MsgBox constants instead of empty string.  Incorporated numerous edits from forum members.  Added appendix containing all code samples.

I wrote an introductory text for new programmers to learn how to code using AutoIt.   It follows along with the help file for the most part – but provides additional context and attempts to connect all the information in a cohesive way for someone without any programming experience.  I find the help file to be an AMAZING resource and the text I wrote in no way reflects any opinion to the contrary.  Rather, it was created from the perspective of someone who struggled early on with the most basic concepts and thought that a hand-holding guide could be useful.  I was also inspired by code.org who is trying to encourage people to learn to code.  I thought – what better way than to use frees tools that you can download at any time with access to an amazing community?  If only there was a guide to walk people through it …

6 people like this

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

TheDcoder

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Awesome Book! Worth reading if you have 0 experience in programming! Keep up the good work jfish! :thumbsup:

2 people like this

Share this review

Link to review
0uwe

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

I like it,a'm just started with autoit,so a get al de information a can get.This a good beginning usefull i find. Thanks Jfish

1 person likes this

Share this review

Link to review
  • Similar Content

• Muhammad_Awais_Sharif
      StringIsDigit Does not work properly
      By Muhammad_Awais_Sharif
      Why this code does not work ?
      $tmp = "1111" If StringIsDigit($tmp) == True Then MsgBox(0,"",StringIsDigit($tmp) == "1") EndIf and this one works 
      $tmp = "1111" If StringIsDigit($tmp) == "1" Then MsgBox(0,"",StringIsDigit($tmp) == "1") EndIf  
    • jmstubiera
      Toggle a form state
      By jmstubiera
      Hello team,
      Any ideas on how I can have a combo box change it's guistate. Below is my code:
      $comboBox = GUICtrlCreateCombo("-- Select Type --", 280, 104, 145, 25, BitOR($CBS_DROPDOWN, $CBS_AUTOHSCROLL, $WS_DISABLED)) GUICtrlSetData(-1, "One|Two|Three|Four") So basically, once I click on a button, the $combo box's state will change from being disabled to being active again.

Thanks in advance.
    • TheDcoder
      Tutorial: Complete walkthrough for joining AutoIt's IRC Channel using a desktop client
      By TheDcoder
      Hello Guys! . I have been busy with my exams... They are finished now, so summer holidays!
      I am been working very hard to bring back the reputation for AutoIt in IRC, I recently made a unofficial channel for AutoIt at freenode (freenode is a very popular IRC Network for FOSS [Free and Open Source Software]). You can check this topic if you want:

Introduction
      This tutorial will guide you from start to finish covering each and every small step (no matter how small to make it more IRC newbie friendly) so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of IRC and the IRC Community. Please read the whole post for better understanding.
      Ok, lets begin our IRC adventure!
      Installing HexChat
      You might wonder why do you need HexChat, why not use the free and no installation needed online IRC client? Well, most online clients might be quick and easy to setup but don't offer much option and power, moreover they even show your IP in the public!
      For the above reason, we are using a neat desktop client called HexChat! (Its FOSS too!)
      Here are the steps you need to follow:
      1. As you might have expected, you need to download the installer first. Here is the link to the download page: http://hexchat.github.io/downloads.html. You need to select the best option for you, here are some pointers:

2. After downloading the installer, install it... Here is a small video which I made to help you :

Configuring HexChat
      This is the most important step in our journey, Configuration. After launching HexChat, it will prompt you to configure it, simply follow these steps:
      1. This is the initial window, find "freenode" in the "Networks" List:

2. Select it and click "Favour" (optional but recommended).
      3. Change the values in the input boxes as you wish (I have set mine in the screenshot).
      4. Click edit and you will be prompted by a screen, click the "Autojoin channels" and add "##AutoIt" to it.

5. Click "Close"
      6. Click "Connect" in the previous window and wait for it to automatically connect to ##AutoIt .
      7. Vola! You are done! You can now chat like blah blah blah.....

Some extra optional work
      1. Type "/msg NickServ REGISTER <any password> <your email address>"
      2. Verify your email
      3. Open network manager by doing Ctrl + S
      4. Find freenode in the network list and click edit
      5. Enter your password and click "Close"
      6. Click on the "freenode" tab and enter this command: "/stats p". You will get a list of active staff members:

7. Type "/query <nickname of the staff member> <message>"
      Replace <message> with a message asking for a "cloak", something like this would do the trick: "Hello, I want a cloak for account"
      8. Wait for the staff member to give you the cloak.
      That's it! You are done!
      End comments by the author of this tutorial
      I am glad that you are still reading until the end , You have just made a BIG contribution to freenode ##AutoIt IRC Community! Thank you very much for that

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, FEEL FREE TO PM ME HERE OR /msg TheDcoder <message> ON IRC.
    • FMS
      XML search get change settings.
      By FMS
      Hello ,
      I've the following problem and hope somebody can push me in the right direction or have a good example on how to do it.
      The problem is :I want to search / select / change /check a XML setting in a XML file.
      The example XML file is as following :
      <Configuration> <Categories> <Category Name="default"> <SubCategories> <SubCategory Name="defaultsettings"> <Settings> <Setting Name="machinename" TypeName="System.String" Value="defaultname" /> <Setting Name="cpuspeed" TypeName="System.String" Value="false" /> <Setting Name="cmptemp" TypeName="System.String" Value="false" /> <Setting Name="cmpspeed_set" TypeName="System.String" Value="" /> <Setting Name="cmptemp_set" TypeName="System.String" Value="" /> </Settings> </SubCategory> </SubCategories> </Category> <Category Name="settings"> <SubCategories> <SubCategory Name="comp1"> <Settings> <Setting Name="machinename" TypeName="System.String" Value="comp1" /> <Setting Name="cpuspeed" TypeName="System.String" Value="true" /> <Setting Name="cmptemp" TypeName="System.String" Value="false" /> <Setting Name="cmpspeed_set" TypeName="System.String" Value="12" /> <Setting Name="cmptemp_set" TypeName="System.String" Value="" /> </Settings> </SubCategory> <SubCategory Name="comp2"> <Settings> <Setting Name="machinename" TypeName="System.String" Value="comp2" /> <Setting Name="cpuspeed" TypeName="System.String" Value="false" /> <Setting Name="cmptemp" TypeName="System.String" Value="true" /> <Setting Name="cmpspeed_set" TypeName="System.String" Value="" /> <Setting Name="cmptemp_set" TypeName="System.String" Value="9" /> </Settings> </SubCategory> </SubCategories> </Category> </Categories> </Configuration> In this XML file I want to :
      -search if subcategory whit the name "comp3" exists
      -if exist change of setting "cpuspeed" value to false
      -if not exist make a new subcategory "comp3" whit the default settings from subcategory "default settings"
      what i have this far is :
      Func xml_test1() Dim $return[0] Local $file = @ScriptDir & "\test.xml" FileOpen($file, $FO_READ) _FileReadToArray($file,$return) FileClose($file) msg("",$return[28]) msg("",$return[29]) EndFunc func xml_test2() Local $file = @ScriptDir & "\test.xml" Local $oXML = ObjCreate("Microsoft.XMLDOM") ;~ $oXML.load("D:\___BUILDS___\___SRMT___\test.xml") $oXML.load($file) $oOther= $oXML.SelectSingleNode("//Configuration/Categories/Category/SubCategories/SubCategory/Settings/Setting") ; or //other ConsoleWrite("$oOther.text=[" & $oOther.text & "]" & @CRLF) EndFunc i know it is not enough what I'm trying to do but I'm realy stuk in what to do next.
      I've searched in the XML.udf but could not find in the examples what to do what i want to do.
      The things what i found are about <settings>false</settings> writing style of XML and not the way I've the XML.
      (or I'm reading it wrong)
      Is there somebody who can help me on mine way or has a good example script?
      Thanks in advanced

• Valnurat
      Read of an AD attribute of Octet String syntax
      By Valnurat
      How do you read AD attribute: thumbnailPhoto and show the picture? It is a syntax of octet string.
      I have no code for this.