Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt 1.2

(2 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

I wrote an introductory text for new programmers to learn how to code using AutoIt.   It follows along with the help file for the most part – but provides additional context and attempts to connect all the information in a cohesive way for someone without any programming experience.  I find the help file to be an AMAZING resource and the text I wrote in no way reflects any opinion to the contrary.  Rather, it was created from the perspective of someone who struggled early on with the most basic concepts and thought that a hand-holding guide could be useful.  I was also inspired by code.org who is trying to encourage people to learn to code.  I thought – what better way than to use free tools that you can download at any time with access to an amazing community?  If only there was a guide to walk people through it …

Full discussion about the file can be found here: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/174205-introductory-learn-to-program-text-using-au3/

What's New in Version 1.2

Released

*UPDATED VERSION* Gutted images to reflect use of MsgBox constants instead of empty string.  Incorporated numerous edits from forum members.  Added appendix containing all code samples.

I wrote an introductory text for new programmers to learn how to code using AutoIt.   It follows along with the help file for the most part – but provides additional context and attempts to connect all the information in a cohesive way for someone without any programming experience.  I find the help file to be an AMAZING resource and the text I wrote in no way reflects any opinion to the contrary.  Rather, it was created from the perspective of someone who struggled early on with the most basic concepts and thought that a hand-holding guide could be useful.  I was also inspired by code.org who is trying to encourage people to learn to code.  I thought – what better way than to use frees tools that you can download at any time with access to an amazing community?  If only there was a guide to walk people through it …

10 people like this

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

TheDcoder

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Awesome Book! Worth reading if you have 0 experience in programming! Keep up the good work jfish! :thumbsup:

2 people like this

Share this review

Link to review
0uwe

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

I like it,a'm just started with autoit,so a get al de information a can get.This a good beginning usefull i find. Thanks Jfish

1 person likes this

Share this review

Link to review
  • Similar Content

• sree161
      By sree161
      Hi,
      i have a code which generates two numeric outputs.i have to save them in excel.
      Is there any way to export them to specific cells in excel???
    • TotalAuto
      By TotalAuto
      Howdy All
      I've gone around and around in circles wasting hours trying to fix this problem to no avail so I thought I would try posting for help given there are some real smart people in this forum.
      Background
      I have 5 separate .au3 scripts that all do different basic tasks. For example:
      1.au3 = opens Chrome browser to obtain information from a specific website then closes
      2.au3 = opens an Excel workbook to run a macro then saves and closes
      3.au3 = Open two seperate workbooks and transfers data from one to the other then saves and closes
      4.au3 = .......etc
      5.au3 = .......etc
      These 5 separate scripts, doing completely different tasks, need to each run once per day at 5 different designated times within a day and then close. For example:
      1.au3 = 10am
      2.au3 = 12pm
      3.au3 = 2pm
      4.au3 = 4pm
      5.au3 = 5pm
      Problem
      I can not get these different scripts to reliably run at their designated times. When I manually run these scripts individually by using 'Go F5' they work perfectly. If I convert these scripts to an .exe and manually run each one they work about 98% of time.
      How can I schedule these different .au3 files or associated .exe files to reliably run each day at different times?
      Attempts To Fix The Issue
      1. I have tried converting each .au3 script into their own .exe file and use Window's Task Scheduler to run these .exe files at their designated time but the success rate  of running each .exe in full, to completion, without error is very low at about 30%. Things that commonly go wrong include a browser not opening but movement still continues on the desk top. Other times things just do not happen at all.
      2. I have Windows 7 64 bit and have tried creating and running both (x86) and (x64) .exe files but again reliability problems exist;
      3. I have also tried moving each .exe file to the My Documents folder as I read someone that keeping your files on your desktop ties your files to individual Windows user profiles which can cause AutoIt operating errors. Not sure if this is correct but thought I would try it anyway. It did not fix my issue.
      4. I installed a program called AlwaysUp which supposedly always reliably runs in the background and will reliably execute your AutoIt script or .exe files. Still have significant reliability issues.
      Therefore, can someone please provide advice on how I can get my 5 different .au3 files to run at 5 designated times through the day, every day, without fail? Overtime I will be creating more and more different .au3 files to run certain tasks throughout the day and do not want to create one large AutoIt file that continually runs and attempts to do all the different tasks itself.
      Any help is very appreciated.
      Thanks
      Dan

• hugomito
      By hugomito
      Hi all,
      I built an AutoIt application that interacts with several other applications/software. Now, it's turn to interfact with Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS).
      Does anyone has a blog, demo, script to share?
      Thanks!
    • WiorDi37
      By WiorDi37
      Hello, Everyone!
      I want when clicking the exit button the window will close. If content changes upon exit the program will automatically choose not save.
      Look forward to the help, thanks.
      #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <AutoItConstants.au3> $GUI = GUICreate("Form1", 220, 119, 192, 124, $WS_SYSMENU) GUISetFont(10, 400, 0, "Tahoma") GUICtrlCreateGroup("Chuẩn bị trình chiếu", 16, 16, 185, 65) $ok_Button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Ok", 32, 48, 75, 25) $exit_Button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Exit", 112, 48, 75, 25) GUICtrlCreateGroup("", -99, -99, 1, 1) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $ok_Button ShellExecute(@MyDocumentsDir&'\Dich-thuat\Short-Document.pdf', "", "", Default, @SW_MAXIMIZE) WinWaitActive("Data and Computer Communications (Eighth Edition) - Google Chrome") ShellExecute(@MyDocumentsDir&'\Dich-thuat\Document.rtf', "", "", Default, @SW_MAXIMIZE) WinWaitActive("Document.rtf [Compatibility Mode] - Word") ShellExecute(@MyDocumentsDir&'\Dich-thuat\Presentation1.pptx', "", "", Default, @SW_MAXIMIZE) WinWaitActive("Presentation1.pptx - PowerPoint") MouseClick("left", 1381, 886, 1) Sleep(2000) MsgBox(64, "Thông báo", "Đã chuẩn bị xong") Case $exit_Button WinClose("Presentation1.pptx - PowerPoint") ;I need help handling this place Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit EndSwitch WEnd  

• badcoder123
      By badcoder123
      Hey everyone,
      I've been messing around with some new things and adlibs look extremely useful/interesting, however, I can't seem to get it to work.. Here's what I have
      HotKeySet("{F1}", "_Exit") $qCount = 1 Global $_Timer AdlibRegister($_Timer, 1000) AdlibUnRegister($_Timer) While 1 SoundPlay(@WindowsDir & "\media\tada.wav", 1) $qCount += 1 ToolTip('"Tada" has been played ' & $qCount & " times",200,200) WEnd Func _Timer() Local Static $iCount += 1 ConsoleWrite($iCount) If $iCount = 20 Then ConsoleWrite("iCount is at " & $iCount) EndFunc Func _Exit() Exit EndFunc Basically I want it to call the _Timer function but it doesn't seem to work :/ any ideas?