Help with FileInstall()

neevar

Hi guys,

I'm almost done with my updated required programs installer for my workplace.

I faced a roadblock right after combining the fileinstall function to the program.

I've zipped up all my program installers into a file called programs.7z (2.47GB)

Compiling takes quite some time but it results in failure.

Below is the error message i get in the console area in scite editor

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /ShowGui /in "D:\AutoIT\15_0_DF\RPI_15.0 v 3.au3"
+>14:35:46 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.14.801.2025.0 SciTE v.3.4.4.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_7/Service Pack 1  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0409)
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper   SCITE_USERHOME => C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE 
-> No changes made..
>Running:(3.3.12.0):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\aut2exe\aut2exe_x64.exe  /in "D:\AutoIT\15_0_DF\RPI_15.0 v 3.au3" /out "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\Aut2exe\~AU3fxumijc.exe" /nopack /comp 0
+>14:43:20 Aut2exe.exe ended.C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\Aut2exe\~AU3fxumijc.exe. rc:0
>14:43:20 Performing the Program Resource Update steps:
!>14:43:28 Error: Failed to enumerate RT_MANIFEST resources, using defaults.
...>Setting Program ExecutionLevel Manifest information to requireAdministrator
...>Setting Program Compatibility Manifest information to Windows8.1
UpdateResources other: $result[0] = 0 - LastError:87:The parameter is incorrect.
...>Updating Program Manifest information.
!>14:43:28 Error: EndUpdateResource: Returncode = 0 - LastError:87:The parameter is incorrect.rc:2
!>14:43:28 Error: Program Resource updating Failed. The output program will not contain the Resource updates!rc:2
+>14:46:11 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 625.6

The compiling is halted with an error message similar to the line "UpdateResources other: $result[0] = 0 - LastError:87:The parameter is incorrect."

I have the option to either continue or exit.

But clicking continue doesn't help as the final exe file gives me an error: "This is not a valid Win32 application"

I took the fileinstall codes out into a new file and tried (to see if something else was causing the problem) and i still get the above error.

I went another step and split the files to chunks of 700MB using 7z. 

I was able to compile the program successful with programs.7z.001 and programs.7z.002. If i remember correctly, i tried adding programs.7z.003 and compiled the program and it was successful.

programs.7z.004 causes the application to fail with the above error message.

My question is, is there a max file size for an exe file? or perhaps for FileInstall function?

below is my code meant for the fileinstall

#include <File.au3>

Global Const $RPI_WORKINGDIR = _TempFile() ; Generates a temp folder directory name to use later on

DirCreate($RPI_WORKINGDIR)
;FileSetAttrib($RPI_WORKINGDIR, '+H')

FileInstall('.\7zip\7za.exe', $RPI_WORKINGDIR & '\7za.exe')
FileInstall('.\7zip\7za.dll', $RPI_WORKINGDIR & '\7za.dll')
FileInstall('.\7zip\7zxa.dll', $RPI_WORKINGDIR & '\7zxa.dll')

FileInstall('.\programs.7z', $RPI_WORKINGDIR & '\programs.7z')

#cs
FileInstall('.\programs.7z.001', $RPI_WORKINGDIR & '\programs.7z.001')
FileInstall('.\programs.7z.002', $RPI_WORKINGDIR & '\programs.7z.002')
FileInstall('.\programs.7z.003', $RPI_WORKINGDIR & '\programs.7z.003')
FileInstall('.\programs.7z.004', $RPI_WORKINGDIR & '\programs.7z.004')
#ce

MsgBox(1, "Program working", "Program is working. This is just a test message box")
Exit

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. :)

also, is there any other method that i can use to hide my installer files or prevent anyone from extracting it? like a container in which only my script can access and use the files and install from there?

I hope i make sense...

EDIT: Solved it. The max a file size can go is 2GB. when i reduced the files, was able to compile. This has something to do with windows compiling limit and stuff.

Edited by neevar

_TempFIle doesn't return a folder name, it creates a temporary file, and returns that file's path and file name. You're using it wrong.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator