Sign in to follow this  
aleph01

Difficulties deleting entire contents of a directory

Hi forum!

The library where I work redirects all public My Documents and items to be burned to CD into a directory, C:CD.  We've been using a .vbs script to delete the contents successfully until Windows 8.  I need a script to simply delete the entire contents, files and folders within that CD directory.

FileDelete ("C:CD") deletes the files but leaves any subfolders a patron may have created.

I've tried

DirRemove ("C:\CD\", 1)
Sleep (1000)
DirCreate ("C:\CD\")

but the CD directory either isn't created, or is not accessible due to our patron profile restrictions.  This is true even if I use another script to run the intended script as an administrator (using RunAs).

I created another directory in which I created a CD directory to use in this way

DirCopy ("C:cdSourceCD", "C:CD", 1)

but I still get the same results.

Am I overlooking the ideal command for this or is there a better approach?

Thanks for any input.

_aleph_

Meds.  They're not just for breakfast anymore. :'(

Try adding #RequireAdmin to the script, if the user is an admin you need the correct permissions to delete a folder from the root of the C: drive.

Easier way to do it, don't use the root of the C: drive to store the folder any longer, since Vista+ has restricted access to deleting/adding folders in that location it's no longer a good idea to do this.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I would use first do a FileDelete(<directory> & "*.*") to get rid of all the files. Then I would do a _FileListToArrayRec, create an array of the folders, and delete wth recursion.

Edit: Missed the root of C: reference. If that is the case, then I would also add #RequireAdmin as BrewManNH suggests.

Edited by JLogan3o13

I was unaware of restrictions on the root of C:.  I actually do have #RequireAdmin, it seems my copy and past skills are weak today >_< .  I guess we'll go with FileDelete until I get a chance to check out _FileListToArrayRec.  Thanks for the help.  I may be back if _FileListToArrayRec boggles my mind - I'm not the sharpest at working with arrays.

Thanks again,

_aleph_

JLogan3o13,

I had a little trouble figuring how to reference the array elements, and I know it probably doesn't look like much to you, but I'm very happy with myself for figuring this out.  Thanks for the  _FileListToArrayRec tip.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#RequireAdmin

FileDelete ("C:\CD\*.*")
Sleep (1000)

Local $aArray = _FileListToArrayRec("C:\CD\", "*", $FLTAR_FOLDERS, $FLTAR_RECUR, $FLTAR_SORT)
;    _ArrayDisplay($aArray, "Sorted tree")

If @error Then Exit

For $FLDR = 1 to $aArray[0]
    DirRemove ("C:\CD\" & $aArray[$FLDR], 1)
Next

Sorry,

I spoke too soon.  While I am happy to have worked out how to reference the array, this works wonderfully on my system, but not on the public computers - the subfolders remain.  It must be a permissions thing.  Can someone think of any way I might be able to get this to work where I need it (on the public machines?)

Thanks,

_aleph_

What you have looks good. One suggestion I would offer, if you set the last parameter ($iReturnPath) to $FLTAR_FULLPATH, you can do something like this in your For loop:

For $i = 1 to $aArray[0]
    DirRemove ($aArray[$i], 1)
Next

Other than that, it looks great.

Sorry to flip-flop on ya'll so much.  I went back to using a RunAs script to start my Delete script and it's now working on the patron machines.  So, our computer reservation software couldn't call .vbs scripts, so we had it call a .bat file to start the .vbs.  Now we're in a mixed  environment, so calling the .bat file isn't going away soon, as it works great on the XP systems.  But on the Windows 8 systems, we have a .bat file calling an Autoit.exe calling another Autoit.exe.  This is how documentation becomes so important.

Thanks, all.

_aleph_