Proper way of incrementing an array's size by 1

TheDcoder

Hello :), I know about ReDim but I am confused :unsure:

Local $aArray[4] = [0, 1, 2, 3]

Func ExpandArray(ByRef $aArray)
    ; How?
EndFunc

Thanks in Advance, TD :)

AutoIt.4.Life Clubrooms - Life is like a Donut (secret key)

Spoiler

My contributions to the AutoIt Community

Some messages & Apologizes:

If I hurt you, Please accept my apologies, I never (regardless of the situation) mean to hurt anybody!!!

Also, I am very busy with my project so I will appear in the last row of the online list, if you want to contact me: Email@TheDcoder.xyz

Or you can have a nice chat with me in freenode, I use the same nick on freenode too!

3fHNZJ.gif

PLEASE JOIN ##AutoIt AND HELP THE IRC AUTOIT COMMUNITY!

TheDcoder

@Jos I can't understand what is this:

ReDim $aArray[subscript 1]...[subscript n]

Spoiler

If I hurt you, Please accept my apologies, I never (regardless of the situation) mean to hurt anybody!!!

Also, I am very busy with my project so I will appear in the last row of the online list, if you want to contact me: Email@TheDcoder.xyz

Or you can have a nice chat with me in freenode, I use the same nick on freenode too!

3fHNZJ.gif

TheDcoder

Sorry for posting this in GUI help section :(

Spoiler

3fHNZJ.gif

TheDcoder

I found out my answer :)

Local $aArray[4] = [0, 1, 2, 3]

Func ExpandArray(ByRef $aArray, $iExpandCount)
    ReDim $aArray[UBound($aArray) + ($iExpandCount - 1)]
EndFunc

• Like 1

Spoiler

3fHNZJ.gif

Jos

I knew you would, you just need a little push to sort it out by yourself in stead of always asking everything that looks difficult. ;)

Jos

Edited by Jos
  • Like 1

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions  - Beta files                                How to post scriptsource        Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

TheDcoder

Thanks! :)

Spoiler

3fHNZJ.gif

Melba23

TheDcoder,

If you do not know the final size of an array, incrementing it by one each time you add an element is not the best way to go as ReDim is a very slow function. Look at the final example in the Recursion tutorial in the Wiki and the "A little added extra" section below it to see how best you can manage this situation.

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

TheDcoder

@Melba23 Multiply it?

Spoiler

3fHNZJ.gif

Melba23

TheDcoder,

Did you read it the explanation?

ReDim is among the slowest of the AutoIt functions, so you want to limit its use as much as possible. If we were to increase the array size by just the one element each time [...], we would slow down the function enormously [...]. Instead of adding a single additional element we double the array in size if it is already full to make sure we get plenty of extra space. You will need to have a count variable available to do this - so why not in the [0] element as is the case for many AutoIt arrays? Just remember that if you want to use the array subsequently [...] you will need one final ReDim to get rid of any unused elements left over after the last increase in size.

So yes, you set a reasonable initial size and then multiply the array size by 2 each time you fill it - getting rid of any unused empty elements once you have got the array to the final size.  It really does work - give it a try.

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

TheDcoder

@Melba23 Will implement that Melba :)

Spoiler

3fHNZJ.gif

TheDcoder

I found this awesome function called _ArrayAdd which does the same thing as ExpandArray... I don't know about internal workings of it but It does the job :D (internal workings should be fine b/c its coded by AutoIt pros)

TD :)

Spoiler

3fHNZJ.gif

Melba23

TheDcoder,

If you look inside _ArrayAdd you will see that in essence it is almost the same as your function - and so it suffers the same problem (lots of slow ReDim calls) if you use it to add lots of single elements in a loop. As explained above, the best way to deal with an array of unknown final size increasing by one element at a time is a "large increase in size" algorithm such as the "doubling" one I used in the Recursion tutorial.

M23

Spoiler

czardas

I found this awesome function called _ArrayAdd which does the same thing as ExpandArray... I don't know about internal workings of it but It does the job :D (internal workings should be fine b/c its coded by AutoIt pros)

​Coded by Melba and working quite nicely too. You should calculate the size of the array you need before creating it if that is possible. Otherwise there are various approaches you could adopt depending on the situation. I differ slightly with Melba on one thing though: doubling the size of an array is not always recommended, especially when dealing with large arrays. Sometimes it's better to make an educated guess at the maximum size when using ReDim. Doubling is a good idea in certain circumstances as is the case with the example Melba mentioned.

Edited by czardas

TheDcoder

@Melba23 I see... ReDim works fine for me in this case (ReDim take 0.01 ms to expand an array by 1 with 200 elements :P). So I will stick to _ArrayAdd because I need to expand an array only ~10 times :P

Spoiler

3fHNZJ.gif

jchd

So it's OK in this case. Otherwise, I'd say an expansion factor of ~1.5 is mostly correct in a large number of cases. Doubling the size just seems a little bit too much in my limited experience.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

TheDcoder

@jchfd Yeah, 2x seems too much

Spoiler

3fHNZJ.gif

jchd

Here are the first 20 iterations for geometric progressions by 1.5 and 2, both starting at 1:

1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 18, 27, 41, 62, 93, 140, 210, 315, 473, 710, 1065, 1598, 2397, 3596, ...
1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768, 65536, 131072, 262144, 524288, ...

As always the success of a strategy depends on your precise context.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

TheDcoder

An array with 524288 elements (all empty) would take 3.4 MB of RAM

Spoiler

3fHNZJ.gif