[Solved] ArrayInsert and overwrite

Myicq

I am currently doing a project involving keeping some parameters in an internal 2d array. I am reading part of that to and from an ini file.

As part of the reading I need to put the variables from the ini file into the 2D array. I have found _arrayinsert(), but that creates additional lines.

Bascially I would like something as this:

Original array:

[1]  a1  a2  a3  a4
[2]  b1  b2  b3  b4
[3]  c1  c2  c3  c4

And reading setting for "2" being    d1  d2  d3  d4   I should now have

[1]  a1  a2  a3  a4
[2]  d1  d2  d3  d4
[3]  c1  c2  c3  c4

Is there a built-in UDF or similar to do something like that already ? Or did I missing something real obvious ?

I have rolled my own code, which works. But of course it could be improved.

; function to insert and OVERWRITE data in a 2d array..
; so we can insert data and NOT create new rows..
Func _array_insert2d_overwrite(byref $sourceArray, $where, $dataarray)
    ; do we have arrays at all
    if not IsArray($sourceArray) then
        return 3
    EndIf

if not IsArray($dataarray) then
        return 4
    EndIf

; check if sizes are OK
    if UBound($sourceArray,2) < UBound($dataarray) then   ; ,2 is for number of COLUMNS
        return 2
    EndIf

if UBound($sourceArray) < $where then       ; this is ROWS
        return 1                                ; that row does not exist
    EndIf

; we should be OK to do action now.
    for $i = 0 to UBound($dataarray)-1
        $sourceArray[$where][$i] = $dataarray[$i]
    Next
EndFunc

Thanks for all comments, happy to learn from you all !

Edited by Myicq
solved marking

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.

Just overwrite the contents of the row of the array, no need to use any of the array functions for this at all. A simple loop would suffice.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Just overwrite the contents of the row of the array, no need to use any of the array functions for this at all. A simple loop would suffice.

I agree this is the best solution, It looks like hes already doing that in his function.  As far as improvements to his function, Its best practice to only have one single 'return' in a function.  So to fix, use a '$return' variable (and of course make sure your function still flows properly).

Edited by TouchOdeath

Here's a solution that drops items if not enough columns are available, or stops overwriting if too many columns exist. Perhaps it's an idea to play around with.

#include <Array.au3>

Local $aArray = [['a1','a2','a3','a4'],['b1','b2','b3','b4'],['c1','c2','c3','c4']]
_ArrayDisplay($aArray, 'before')

Local $aRow = ['d1','d2','d3','d4','d5'], $iRowNum = 1
_RowOverwrite($aArray, $aRow, $iRowNum)
_ArrayDisplay($aArray, 'after')

Func _RowOverwrite(ByRef $aArray, $aRow, $iRowNum)
    If Not (IsArray($aArray) And IsArray($aRow) And IsInt($iRowNum)) Then Return SetError(1) ; one param is not an array, or $iRowNum is not an integer
    If UBound($aArray, 0) <> 2 Or UBound($aRow, 0) <> 1 Then Return SetError(2) ; one array dimension did not match
    If $iRowNum > UBound($aArray) -1 Then Return SetError(3) ; out of bounds row number

Local $iItems = UBound($aRow), $iCols = UBound($aArray, 2)
    If $iItems > $iCols Then $iItems = $iCols

For $i = 0 To $iItems - 1
        $aArray[$iRowNum][$i] = $aRow[$i]
    Next
EndFunc

Edited by czardas