Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilly97

Variables

8 posts in this topic

I have the following script to put the variable value into the search field of windows explorer

Global $file = FileOpen("LastBuild-4_0.txt")

; Check if file opened for reading OK then paste in search field
If $file = -1 Then
   MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
Else
   Global $line = FileReadLine($file, 2)
   ShellExecute("Explorer.exe", "N:\DailyBuild\ICE")
   Sleep(3000)
   ControlSend("ICE", "", "[CLASS:Search Box; INSTANCE:1]", $line)

the value of $line is "4.0.54.13303" (I confirmed it's pulling the right value), but all that gets entered in the search field in windows explorer is the last 3.

First, you're posting in the wrong forum.

Second, why are you trying to automate Windows Explorer? What are you hoping to accomplish? There might be an easier way.

Third, what version of Windows are you using, in Windows 7 the search box isn't named the way you have it named, and you're missing an EndIf

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Trying to search on a folder based on the value given to the folder.

Using windows 10

Trying to search on a folder based on the value given to the folder.

I know you're trying to do that, my question is why are you trying to do that? What are you looking to do? There must be an easier way than automating Explorer.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Copy a folder from a network location to the local desktop.

Use FileCopy or DirCopy, don't use Explorer.

Tried the script on Server 2008 and it pasted the value properly.

Thanks for your help.