caspermurphy

_FindInFile() search for a string

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

First I will apologise. I was not sure if I should post a new topic or reply to the original topic that was posted four years ago. 

I haven’t used autoit in quite some time and I was not really great at it back then so I am really rusty now.

I was reading this post https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/132159-_findinfile-search-for-a-string-within-files-located-in-a-specific-directory/?page=1

It appears  to do what I would like, which is to look in a folder that contains several hundred files for a particular string in each file and return those results.  But I am not sure exactly where I need to put certain declarations in it.

Directory is o:/RFP

The files are word docx documents

String to find is: BR_Field_Auditor_Inventory_Threshold

Ideally I would like the input to read from a file and then place the “found” string along with the name of the document in another file. I see that guinnes has provide a link that will help me with that. I just wanted to state what my intentions are so as not yup leave anything out.  

The only thing I mustard so far was that this    $sSearch = ' /c:' & $sSearch  may need to be changed to:        $sSearch = ' /O:' & $sSearch  I  see leading space between the quotes ‘ /c: does that matter?

I know I must declare $sFilePath and $sSearch but I am not seeing or understanding where.

I have been using thishttps://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/85567-find-string-in-files/ for finding a couple of strings from time to time but now I need something that will find multiple strings within multiple files.

Sorry again for asking probably a very basic question. 

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

John

Something like this?

#Include <Array.au3>
#Include <Constants.au3>

$sSearch = "BR_Field_Auditor_Inventory_Threshold"
$sFilePath = "O:\RFP"
$sMask = "*.docx"
$sResultsFile = @ScriptDir & "\Results.txt"

$aFiles = _FindInFile($sSearch, $sFilePath, $sMask)
;_ArrayDisplay($aFiles) ;Uncomment to see results

If FileExists($sResultsFile) Then FileDelete($sResultsFile)
$hFile = FileOpen($sResultsFile,  $FO_APPEND)
FileWrite($hFile, "Scan Compiled On: " & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & "/" & @YEAR & @CRLF)
FileWrite($hFile, "Result Files Containing String: " & $sSearch & @CRLF & @CRLF)

For $i = 1 to $aFiles[0]
    FileWrite($hFile, $aFiles[$i] & @CRLF)
Next

FileClose($hFile)

Func _FindInFile($sSearch, $sFilePath, $sMask = '*', $fRecursive = True, $fLiteral = Default, $fCaseSensitive = Default, $fDetail = Default)
    Local $sCaseSensitive = $fCaseSensitive ? '' : '/i', $sDetail = $fDetail ? '/n' : '/m', $sRecursive = ($fRecursive Or $fRecursive = Default) ? '/s' : ''
    If $fLiteral Then
        $sSearch = ' /c:' & $sSearch
    EndIf
    If $sMask = Default Then
        $sMask = '*'
    EndIf

$sFilePath = StringRegExpReplace($sFilePath, '[\\/]+$', '') & '\'
    Local Const $aMask = StringSplit($sMask, ';')
    Local $iPID = 0, $sOutput = ''
    For $i = 1 To $aMask[0]
        $iPID = Run(@ComSpec & ' /c ' & 'findstr ' & $sCaseSensitive & ' ' & $sDetail & ' ' & $sRecursive & ' "' & $sSearch & '" "' & $sFilePath & $aMask[$i] & '"', @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE, $STDOUT_CHILD)
        ProcessWaitClose($iPID)
        $sOutput &= StdoutRead($iPID)
    Next
    Return StringSplit(StringStripWS(StringStripCR($sOutput), BitOR($STR_STRIPLEADING, $STR_STRIPTRAILING)), @LF)
EndFunc   ;==>_FindInFile

1 person likes this

Hi ViciousXUSMC,

it always help to declare the variables....:'(

I also was running an older version of autoit, helps if I had the latest version.

Thank you for help and the code.

John