Wicked_Caty

Problem with FileCopy()

8 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I'm writing a small program for creating a backup. I want to do that by using FileCopy. Everything from drive C should be copied to drive D.

FileCopy("C:", "D:", $FC_OVERWRITE + $FC_CREATEPATH)

That doesn't do anything, though. I played a bit with the paths, but nothing does what I want. Sometimes only the folder of the program itself is copied, sometimes nothing is copied.

What am I doing wrong? What do I have to do that everything from C goes to D? Thanks!

Backup.au3

Edit: DirCopy does pretty much the same

Edited by Wicked_Caty
Added something...

Just now, willichan said:

Take a look at DirCopy().

I also tried it, but it does the same, namely nothing...

Did you specify the root path ( C:\ with the backslash ) or are you just using the drive letter only?

I think you should try to _FileListToArray() then you will have all folders under C:/ and then DirCopy() each folder.

Regards
Alien.

9 minutes ago, willichan said:

Did you specify the root path ( C:\ with the backslash ) or are you just using the drive letter only?

I tried it with "C", "C:", "C:\" and "C:\*", but none work

Try adding #RequireAdmin to the script.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

It may be a problem with the drive root, since it gets handled a little differently than other folders (Windows doesn't really view the root as a folder, but rather as a device).  You will probably need to go the route alien4u suggested.  Use FileCopy() for all of the files and DirCopy() for all of the folders.

You will most likely also need #RequireAdmin as BreManNH suggested, since much of what you are copying are system files, and potentially files owned by other users (depending on your setup).

Additional Note:
After a successful test run, you may want to check to see that hidden files and files with the system flag got copied as well.  They probably won't be, unless you have Windows configured to display hidden and system files.  If you need them copied, but they are not getting copied, you will need to use FileCopy() for files, then call a recursive copy function to handle folders.

Edited by willichan
clarification

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• rudi
      By rudi
      Hello.
      I'm too stupid to see my mistake:
      To investigate the internal "dictionary" of TIFF files I'd like to read in the files in binary mode and to check, if there are more than one pages "in" this TIFF.
      Notepad++, "View as Hex" is presenting the first bytes as "49 49 2a 20 08 20 20 20 12" for the TIF attached to this posting
      The "TIFF Header Format" is easy:
      Offset 00h, 2 Byte = Byte Order, "II"=intel, "MM"=motorola. (I = 0x49)
      --> II
      Offset 02h, 2 Byte = Version Nr.
      Offset 04h, 4 Byte = pointer to first IFD entry
      Description of TIFF header: https://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/faq.html#q3

Howto read and analyse the binary content correctly? This is my messy, not operational code:

$sampleTiff="H:\daten\tif\11\11\111111.TIF" $h=FileOpen($sampleTiff,16) $content=FileRead($h) ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $content = ' & $content & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console FileClose($h) $type=VarGetType($content) ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $type = ' & $type & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console $ToString=BinaryToString($content) ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $ToString = ' & $ToString & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & @CRLF) $content=StringTrimLeft($content,2) ; cut off the leading "0x" ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $content = ' & $content & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console for $i = 1 to 8 step 8 $next=StringMid($content,$i,2) ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $next = ' & $next & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console $Chr=BinaryToString($next) ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $Chr = ' & $Chr & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & "---" & @CRLF) Next Regards, Rudi.
      111111.TIF
    • fopetesl
      By fopetesl
      Struggling to get Filecopy() working
      MsgBox(0,"Moving file: ", $fLine) ; C:\AlmeterS3\AI74_No2.csv FileCopy( $fLine, "C:\AlmeterS3\S3_Database\") ; FileCopy( $fLine, $BatchDir & "\S3_Database\") If @error Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "ERROR!", "database write error " & @error) EndIf FileDelete( $fLine) doesn't copy only creates a file "C:\AlmeterS3\S3_Database" (actually AI74_No2.csv)
      Again my typo I should have added
      $FC_OVERWRITE + $FC_CREATEPATH since folder didn't actually exist.
    • Nareshm
      By Nareshm
      Hi All,
      I have excel file like this
      and i want to cut cell/text from excel to other software.

I have to cut the cell of B column one by one and past into other software
      If Winexists("No Data Found")
      then restore cuted cell and goto next/down side cell
      How to do it ?
    • usmiv4o
      By usmiv4o
      #cs ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- AutoIt Version: 3.2.4.3 Author: usmiv4o Script Function: AutoIt script to check if files in directory are changed. It is usefull for security contra-inteligense measures. Function Name: LoadTripwireDB() Description: Loads database (text file tripwire.txt) and compare files in /test folder for changes. compares Hash (MD5) checksums. If they are not the same starts Initial() Function Name: Initial() Description: Checks directory and makes index of files and their MD5 checksums in text file (tripwire.txt) Function Name: Hush() Description: Checks file and returns its MD5 checksum. Requirement(s): Windows XP Return Value(s): On Success - Returns true. Files are the same as before. On Failure - return false. Example: LoadTripwireDB() #ce ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- #include <Crypt.au3> #include <File.au3> #include <Array.au3> $sDir = @ScriptDir & "\Test" $sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\tripwire.txt" Func Hush(ByRef $sFile) $sRead = FileOpen( $sFile) $dHash = _Crypt_HashData($sRead, $CALG_MD5) ; Create a hash of the text entered. ConsoleWrite("Hash of file " & $sFile & " is " & $dHash & @CRLF) EndFunc ;ConsoleWrite("Files in Dir are " & $aScriptDir[0] & @CRLF) ;$sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\Examples.txt" ;_FileWriteFromArray($sFilePath, $aScriptDir, 1) ;_ArrayDisplay($aScriptDir, "1D display") Func Initial() $aScriptDir = _FileListToArray($sDir) for $i = 1 To UBound($aScriptDir) - 1 $dHash = _Crypt_HashData($i, $CALG_MD5) ;ConsoleWrite("File " & $aScriptDir[$i] & " is " & $dHash & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite($aScriptDir[$i] & ":" & $dHash & @CRLF) ;Hush($aScriptDir[$i]) ;FileWrite $hFileOpen = FileOpen($sFilePath, $FO_APPEND) If $hFileOpen = -1 Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "An error occurred when reading the file.") EndIf FileWrite($hFileOpen, $aScriptDir[$i] & ":" & $dHash & @CRLF) Next EndFunc Func Monitor() $aScriptDir = _FileListToArray($sDir) for $i = 1 To UBound($aScriptDir) - 1 Next EndFunc Func LoadTripwireDB() $comparison_ok = false $dArray = _FileListToArray($sDir) ;directory $dArray0 = UBound($dArray) - 1 $fArray = FileReadToArray($sFilePath) ;file $fArray0 = UBound($fArray) ;_ArrayDisplay($dArray, "files array") if $dArray0 = $fArray0 Then ; are file same as recorded in txt file? ;ConsoleWrite("files in monitoring dir: " & $dArray[0] & " = file recorded: " & $fArray0 & @CRLF & $fArray[0]& @CRLF) for $i = 1 To UBound($dArray) - 1 ;ConsoleWrite("i = " & $i & @CRLF) $dHash = _Crypt_HashData($i, $CALG_MD5) ;binary ;$dHash = BinaryToString($dHash) $ffhash = StringSplit( $fArray[$i-1],":") $fhash = $ffhash[2] ;ConsoleWrite("IsBinary $dHash " & IsBinary($dHash) & @CRLF) if $dHash = $fhash Then ;if compared hashes are equal ;ConsoleWrite($fhash & ":" & $dHash & " equal" & @CRLF) ;ConsoleWrite("File: " & $fhash & @CRLF & "Directory: " & $dHash & @CRLF & "equal: yes " & @CRLF) Else ;if compared hashes are not equal ;ConsoleWrite("File: " & $fhash & @CRLF & "Directory: " & $dHash & @CRLF & "equal: not " & @CRLF) ;MsgBox(0,"hash md5",$fhash & ":" & $dHash & " not equal") EndIf Next ;ConsoleWrite("hashes are equal" & @CRLF) $comparison_ok = true Else ConsoleWrite("number of files in monitoring dir are not same as recorded" & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("directory: " & $dArray[0] &":"& "files: " & UBound($fArray) - 1 & @CRLF) EndIf Return $comparison_ok EndFunc #main if LoadTripwireDB() = true Then ConsoleWrite(" hashes are equal " & @CRLF) ElseIf LoadTripwireDB() <> true Then ConsoleWrite(" hashes are not equal " & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite(" hashes are not equal " & @CRLF) Initial() EndIf  
      tripwire.au3
      tripwire.txt
    • Mag91
      By Mag91
      Hey Community,
      cause im too new in the Auto it world i will try it with the your help. hopefully.
      I woud like to know how i can handle my Problem.
      ----
      I have a Excel Data with 362 random numbers.
      For Example:
      1166642335374 1172899897343
      this numbers are a part of the filepath ...example
      D:\Projekte\1166_64233_5374
      as u can see its the first number of the Excel data. After the first 4 numbers it shoud make a "_" than another 5 "_"
      This is my first question. How can i handle this to make it Shell execute.

--------
      Second question:
      If i am in the path.
      For Example:
      D:\Projekte\1166_64233_5374
      the code shoud search for specific PDF Files.
      They are named like: 0050569E364B1ED79B900F73E62660EC.pdf
      the first 15 letters are always the same
      0050569E364B1ED
      when he found this data he has to copy it on a Folder on the Desktop.
      (There can also be 2 or 3 pdfs in one Folder with this letters)
      ----
      Please give me some help :-)