I finally gave a look into DLLs and want to make use of them in Autoit.

I know that a DLL is basically a library with some code, that can be used by several other programs at the same time to get some advantages.

Yet, I need to know how they are properly used. Also it might be helpful to know what DLL is doing what task. Can you provide some resources?

Thanks!

@Wicked_Caty we have a wonderful Wiki which can, in conjunction with the help file, answer a lot of your questions:

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By water
      Internet Explorer is nearly dead, newer versions of Firefox can't any longer be automated using Stilgar's FF UDF.
      Hence more and more users (including me) need to look at automating Webbrowsers using WebDriver.
      That's why I have started to create a tutorial in the wiki.
      It should describe all necessary steps from intallation to usage.

I'm still collecting ideas for the tutorial - that's where you come into play.
      What do you expect to see in such a tutorial?
      Which browsers should be covered (Firefox, Chrome and Edge are settled)? Any questions for the FAQ? Which (high level) coding examples do you expect (like "How to attach to a running browser instance") ... Like to see your comments

ToDo-List:
      Add "Tools" section and add ChroPath plugin Done FAQ: "How to attach to a running browser instance" Explain the difference between iuiautomation, iaccessible, autoit, webdriver. Done. The AutoIt FAQ 40 will be extended. Detailed description of each function Example for "how to deal with downloading" Example for "how to deal with popups (alerts, print or save dialog) Example for "how to deal with multiple tabs"
    • By RAMzor
      Hello all!
      I got the Acroname Programmable USB Hub based on BrainStem platform. I will use it to manage ports and read current.
      They have development kit (BRAINSTEM DEVELOPMENT KIT) with examples for any languages like C#, C++, LabVIEW and python but no AutoIt.
      The kit include BrainStem2.dll (x32 and x64), BrainStem2_LabVIEW.dll, BrainStem2CLI.dll and many examples.
      Anyone used this dll and implemented it in AutoIt?
      Please share some example for Device Discovering, User LED Flashing or power enable/disable on port to start play with this HUB
      BrainStem Reference 

BrainStem2 lib+example.7z USB HUB User Manual s79-usbhub-3p_v1.10_0.pdf
    • By matwachich
      Hi guys!
      A pretty simple UDF to convert HTML to PDF using wkHTMLtoPDF.
      It uses the C API of the tool (DLL), so no external process, no ActiveX or COM sh*t.
      See the example, and the documentation of wkHTMLtoPDF.
      Cheers
      https://github.com/matwachich/wkhtmltopdf-au3
    • By Skysnake
      This is relevant
      From here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3454315/is-it-possible-to-pin-a-dll-in-memory-to-prevent-unloading
      I use several UDFs on the Forum to do various things.  Those UDFs work very well.
      Effectively the UDFs are DLL wrappers, that make it possible to access DLL functions easily without the long hard slog of DLLCall() every time.
      However, I have now run into the issue that multiple UDF DLLCalls are slow. Not mind numbingly slow, but slow enough to become noticeable with a large of repeated function calls.
      So I was wondering, is it possible to "load a DLL into memory" and leave it there for the duration of my script's lifetime, avoid repeated DLL on-disk reads with a persistent in memory DLL?
      From Microsoft
      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/dlls/about-dynamic-link-libraries
      Looks like what I want to do is: load-time dynamic linking,
      So next question, (a) how do I do this with AutoIt (b) How would this impact on standard AutoIt type DLL calls?

The point is speed.  Is there a different approach?
      Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
      Skysnake
    • By bladem2003
      Hello,
      i need help to translate the c code to autoit .
      I don't understand the callback function.

#include <windows.h> #include <stdio.h> // native IR Data by PAnsiChar typedef void CALLBACK CallBackPAnsiChar(char*, char*, char*, char*); typedef int (__stdcall *impInitPAnsiChar)(CallBackPAnsiChar); CALLBACK MyCallBackPAnsiChar(char* Protocol, char* Address, char* Command, char* Flags) { printf("\nIR Data received: Protocol: %s, Address: 0x%s, Command: 0x%s, Flags: 0x%s", Protocol, Address, Command, Flags); fflush(stdout); } int main(int argc, char **argv) { impInitPAnsiChar InitPAnsiChar = NULL; // Load DLL file HINSTANCE hinstLib = LoadLibrary(TEXT("USB_IR_Remote_Receiver.dll")); if (hinstLib == NULL) { printf("\nERROR: unable to load DLL\n"); return 1; } // Get function pointer InitPAnsiChar InitPAnsiChar = (impInitPAnsiChar)GetProcAddress(hinstLib, "InitPAnsiChar"); if (InitPAnsiChar == NULL) { printf("\nERROR: unable to find DLL function\n"); FreeLibrary(hinstLib); return 1; } if (InitPAnsiChar(*MyCallBackPAnsiChar)) { printf("\nInit DLL with InitPAnsiChar successfull"); } else { // Unload DLL file FreeLibrary(hinstLib); return 0; } while(1) { } //return 0; }