Backing up files via RunAsSet

VeeDub

Hi,

I am writing a script to backup files using rsync. During testing I discovered that the user I was logged on as (and thus the context of the script) didn't have access to all the files that I was trying to backup. Therefore I decided to call rsync via runasset so that the rsync process would be running under a user who is a member of the Backup Operators group.

I then ran into a few issues using RunAsSet, which I have subsequently resolved, but the rsync process still doesn't have access to all the files on the data volume.

I have some done some further investigation and it turns out that this is by design, being a member of the Backup Operators group doesn't automatically provide you with full access to the file system. You can't for example make yourself a member of the Backup Operators group and then xcopy a whole data volume. As I understand it, to get access to an entire volume, you need to be a member of the Backup Operators group and then you need to backup the target data by using the Backup API.

This is where I am starting to get a little unclear on what is involved. I have been searching on Google, and while I have found some references to backup products that make use of the "Backup API" I haven't found much detail on how I can use it myself (something like the AutoIt function help for instance).

Also, would I be right in assuming that provided I can eventually find some useful doc on the Backup API, to actually use this via AutoIt I would need to include a User Defined Function to "communicate" with the Backup API?

All of the above has made my script a lot more complicated than I had originally anticipated, I wonder if there might be some utility that I could call to "open the filesystem for reading" before calling rsync. That would make things a lot easier B)

Appreciate suggestions on options to consider.

TIA,

VW

The only thing I can suggest is try using RoboCopy instead. I used RoboCopy at work to do backup from the local computer or a remote computer. Take a look at this Webpage Download

Hi Danny,

That's a good idea, funnily enough since I made this post I was talking to a mate and that thought crossed my mind too. Robocopy definitely is an option, but if it doesn't work, then I'll be faced with the same issue.

Cheers,

VW