Leo1906

RegWrite does not work properly

4 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Hello guys,

I'm having a problem right here ..

I was trying to create a few Registry Values using autoit, but it seems to me that Autoit can't write those values to this specific part of the registry ..
Here is the code I'm trying to run:

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\test\command", "", "REG_SZ", "C:\test\convert.exe %1 geojson|convert")

I'm definitly sure that the path is correct. Script is runned with Admin Rights. Everything's fine here.
It's possible to read other values stored by Windows in this directory:

MsgBox(0, 0, RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.burn", "Description"))

But you can't edit those using Autoit. I don't know what this is. In my eyes it's an Autoit Bug or something like that ...
Possible solution for me is to write a ".reg" file and run it afterwards, but this is an unclean method I don't really want to use ..

Any suggestions on this?

Edit: the OS is Windows 7 x64 German Language btw ..

Edited by Leo1906

You probably are running this with the 32bit version of Autoit3, which would result you update the Wow6432Node branch of the hive.: 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node \Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\test\command
Just check there to see if you can find your update.

Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Damn .. Yeah you're right :D

So I need to add a check on @OSArch and set the compile options to x64 I guess?
Or I make an x64 and an x32 Version of the program compiling it with the corresponding options ..

You can access the 64-bit registry from a 32 bit script by adding "64" to the registry path.  Look under remarks in the help file for accessing the 64-bit registry.  

Local $s64Bit = ""
If @OSArch = "X64" Then $s64Bit = "64"
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" & $s64Bit & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\test\command", "", "REG_SZ", "C:\test\convert.exe %1 geojson|convert")

Adam

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Simpel
      By Simpel
      Hi,
      I wondered why negative integers I wrote into registry (e.g. negative x-coordinates of a gui if using two monitors and the right one is the main one) wouldn't return right when reading. Now I know: it is saved as an unsigned integer (without algebraic sign). So here is a snippet that is changing unsigned to signed integer:
      Global Const $g_sRegKey = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\" & @ScriptName ; path to registry RegWrite($g_sRegKey, "Value", "REG_DWORD", -2147483647) ; write some negative integer into registry; -2147483647 highest possible negative integer , 2147483648 highest possible positive integer if talking of 32bit Local $sValue = RegRead($g_sRegKey, "Value") ; read out registry ConsoleWrite("Value: " & $sValue & @CRLF) ; show real value in console Local $sResult = _SignedInteger($sValue) ; change to signed value ConsoleWrite("Result: " & $sResult & @CRLF) ; and show it in console Func _SignedInteger($iUnsignedInteger) Local $iSignedInteger If $iUnsignedInteger > (2^31) Then ; then it means a negative integer $iSignedInteger = $iUnsignedInteger - (2^32) Else $iSignedInteger = $iUnsignedInteger EndIf Return $iSignedInteger EndFunc It took me some time to find out the problem and so I hope I can help somebody with this.
      Regards, Conrad
    • damon
      By damon
      I am having an issue with windows 10 and regwrite.  when i run my script it acts as though it has updated the registry but when i view the registry it has not updated the keys.  I added error checking to the script but it is not showing errors.  now if i remove #requireadmin i will get error 1 - unable to open requested key.
      her is my code.

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> #include <Process.au3> ; Declared Variables Global $userName = "user" Global $userPassword = "Ktesting" Global $autologin = "1" Global $notification = "0" Global $balloon = "0" If @OSArch = "X64" Then Global $HKLM = "HKLM64" Else Global $HKLM = "HKLM" EndIf ; Looks for switch on program start If $CmdLine[0] > 0 Then ; looks for switch on startup If $CmdLine[1] = "/boot" Then BootMachine() Else MachineInstallation() EndIf ; Setup Kiosk for first time Func MachineInstallation() #RequireAdmin MsgBox (1, "Installation", "Starting Install") ; Add Program to Run registry Key RegWrite ($HKLM & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "DL Kiosk", "REG_SZ", "c:\temp\DL Testing Kiosk\dl testing kiosk.exe /boot") If @error Then MsgBox (1, "error", @error) EndIf ; Add Automatic Logon Registry Key RegWrite ($HKLM & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "AutoAdminLogon", "REG_SZ", $autologin) If @error Then MsgBox (1, "error", @error) EndIf RegWrite ($HKLM & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "DefaultUserName", "REG_SZ", $userName) If @error Then MsgBox (1, "error", @error) EndIf RegWrite ($HKLM & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "DefaultPassword", "REG_SZ", $userPassword) If @error Then MsgBox (1, "error", @error) EndIf ; Pop Ups and Notification Center Registry RegWrite ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer", "DisableNotificationCenter", "REG_SZ", $notification) If @error Then MsgBox (1, "error", @error) EndIf RegWrite ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced", "EnableBalloonTips", $balloon) If @error Then MsgBox (1, "error", @error) EndIf MsgBox (1, "Installation", "Install completed") EndFunc Exit  
      EDIT:
      i think i figured out my problem.  I was missing the space between Windows and NT.  user error, sorry.  
    • GreenSparks
      By GreenSparks
      Hi!
      I post here because i was wonderring if someone in this forum could help me with my script.
      What i'm trying to do, is to basically install a new keyboard layout in Windows and activate it. I want to acheive by the registry or the command line, but not with the autoit automation tools, i don't find it stable...
      Thanks for your help and have a good day!
    • Cirusnb
      By Cirusnb
      Hi all, first post here ever, I'm working on a project, Helpdesk type tool.   I'm trying to set the State (Checked, Unchecked) of check boxes, and Or button, (a Toggle). this would be set by determining the Value of Certain Reg keys,    here is my phone below. $PC_select_data is the Computer Name so you could replace it with "@Computer".  
      I looked and looked and couldn't find whats wrong. 
      I'm new to Autoit somewhat. 
      I may be complicating things by assigning Arrays for my controls, but I think this will work. 
      the first part is fine, I get a Computer from a list (that I got from AD with Water's Awesome UDF)
      please not I'm using onevent also, well. the UDF OnEventA that allows upto 4 ByVal or Ref's 
      I get the Value $PC_selected_data
      return the value to the Function
       I send a test Key with Regread, if I can't read it I launch sc.exe to run Remote Reg.
      Then I read 5 values from the Remote Reg.   I assigned a Array of those Values and Also Assigned a Array of my CheckBoxes also.
      Now my logic, if the Value of the REG key is "" (blank)   then UnCheck all the check boxes, else, Check them. Now, to make this more efficient, I put the Controls in an Array, of the Same Lenth. now here is the think, I run my script, it runs fine, finds the value, and Un-checks all of the check boxes, now if I go change one of the REG values, it does not Check them. because of the Logic for the For Loop.   I would have figured that If the first value of the Array $Run_as_MSIscheck =  somevalue that it would see that as a "ELSE" and Check the box. Since the For loop contains the If - then- Else, but I Understand that it only runs the first Block, IF the condition is True.  So I guess Am I totally off track? 

Func Check_PC_status($PC_select_Data) local $pingPC local $regtemp = "" local $x = "" local $Run_as_MSIcheck,$Run_as_CMDcheck,$Run_as_BATCheck,$Run_as_REGcheck local $RUNas_chks[4] = [$MSI_runAs_chk,$CMD_runAs_chk,$BAT_runAs_chk,$REG_runAs_chk] local $runAS_function_check[4] = [$Run_as_MSIcheck,$Run_as_CMDcheck,$Run_as_BATCheck,$Run_as_REGcheck] ;~ @error: ;~ 1 = Host is offline ;~ 2 = Host is unreachable ;~ 3 = Bad destination ;~ 4 = Other errors ;Sends Ping to pc to see if its live or not. $pingPC = ping($PC_select_Data,2000) ;if Ping has returned a good value, NOT 0. check current status of the following lines in registry. checkes for RunAS for CMD/MSI/BAT and Remote REG keys. checks for SMS prompt control. if $pingPC Then ;tries to read a key from the registry, and returns its value, if its blank, $regtemp = RegRead("\\" & $PC_select_Data & "\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Client\Client Components\Remote Control", "Permission Required") ConsoleWrite("Sending test Key, is set to: " & $regtemp & @CRLF) ;~error: 3 = Bad destination if @error = 3 or $regtemp = "" Then ConsoleWrite("Unable to determine status of remote registry!!!" & @CRLF & "Trying to start Remote Registry.... via Service Control Manager" & @CRLF ) RunWait(@SystemDir & '\sc.exe \\' & $PC_select_Data & ' start RemoteRegistry',"","") if Not @error then ConsoleWrite("Remote Registry loaded" & @CRLF & @CRLF) EndIf EndIf TCPStartup() $IPadd = TCPNameToIP ($PC_select_Data) ConsoleWrite($IPadd & @CRLF) TCPShutdown() ConsoleWrite("ping Success: " & $pingPC & "ms" & @CRLF) $Sccm_PROMPTcheck = RegRead("\\" & $PC_select_Data & "\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Client\Client Components\Remote Control", "Permission Required") $Run_as_MSIcheck = RegRead("\\" & $PC_select_Data & "\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas\command", "") ; MSI access Check $Run_as_CMDcheck = RegRead("\\" & $PC_select_Data & "\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\runas\command", "") ; CMS access Check $Run_as_BATCheck = RegRead("\\" & $PC_select_Data & "\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\runas\command", "") ; BAT access Check $Run_as_REGcheck = RegRead("\\" & $PC_select_Data & "\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\runas\command", "") ; REG access Check ConsoleWrite("SMS Client status: " & $Sccm_Promptcheck & @CRLF & "MSI RunAS Status: " & $Run_as_MSIcheck & @CRLF & "CMD RunAs Status: " & $Run_as_CMDcheck & @CRLF & "BAT RunAs Status: " & $Run_as_BATCheck & @CRLF & "REG RunAs Status: " & $Run_as_REGcheck & @CRLF & @CRLF) for $x = 0 to UBound($runAS_function_check) -1 ConsoleWrite("Count: " & $x & @CRLF) if $runAS_function_check[$x] = "" Then $test1 = guictrlread($RUNas_chks[$x]) ConsoleWrite("B4 " & $test1 & @CRLF) GUICtrlSetState($RUNas_chks[$x],$GUI_UNCHECKED) $test2 = guictrlread($RUNas_chks[$x]) ConsoleWrite("After " & $test2 & @CRLF) Else GUICtrlSetState($RUNas_chks[$x],$GUI_CHECKED) EndIf Next Else ConsoleWrite($PC_select_Data & " is Not reachable" & @CRLF & @CRLF) EndIf Endfunc any help is appreciated. 
    • ur
      By ur
      I have a registry value in which the name is having \ and when I am trying to delete the registry,it is failing because of \.
      The registry is given below.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{2D46B6DC-2207-486B-B523-A557E6D54B47}] "Version"="9,0,8112,16421" "Locale"="*" "C:\\ProgramData\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\"="C:\\ProgramData\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\" Can you please suggest how to delete the last value.