Mungo

GUICtrlSetTip - balloon tip corners change if multi-line text is used in tip

3 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I have noticed that tip text, displayed as balloon tips ($TIP_BALLOON (1)), display very different corners under Windows 10 depending on the text consisting of a single or has multiple lines (line break with @LF or @CR).

Could that be a bug?

I recently moved to Windows 10 and used 7 before. On an old screenshot (under Win 7) I can see that multiple-lines-tip-texts still had rounded corners (even less round than for a single line).

I did not use Win 8 or 8.1 so I do not know how multi-line tip texts are rendered there.

I use single and multiple lines and now have inconsistent rendering for tip texts within the same GUI - not very nice ;-). I like the ‘balloon’ style but how to make them consistently sharp or round cornered?
Thanks

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    GUICreate("GUI control tip with/without line break", 400, 200)

; Balloon tip with rounded corners
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Label - tip text NO line break (Balloon tip with rounded corners)", 10, 20)
    GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Tip text (NO line break)", "Title",1 ,1)

; Balloon tip with corners not rounded
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Label - Tip text WITH line break (Balloon tip with corners not rounded)", 10, 100)
    GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Tip text ..." & @LF & "(WITH line break)", "Title", 1, 1)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

; Loop until the user exits.
    While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

tip_txt_01.png

tip_txt_02.png

Edited by Mungo

Mungo,

When I run that script on my Win7 machine I notice significantly less rounded corners on the multi-line tip when compared to the single line version. So I can only surmise that this is a Windows "feature" rather then anything to do with AutoIt.

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Melba23,

Thanks!

Yes, I guess it must be a Windows 10 ‘feature’ ;) to go more in line with the more squarish, flat and sharp edged design of Windows 10 ... however, I thought that they would have skipped the round corners altogether.

Mungo