Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JustinM

Open Chrome with "Chrome://Settings"

4 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am having a hard time getting chrome to work with my autoit script. 

Basically I need to open chrome and set the homepage. I am using the following code below to get it done.

If FileExists("C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\Chrome.exe") Then
    _RunDos("Start chrome.exe --new-window 127.0.0.1")
    Sleep(2500)
    WinWait("http://127.0.0.1/ is not available - Google Chrome")
    Send("!{e}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{UP}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{UP}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{UP}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{ENTER}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{TAB 4}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{ENTER}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{TAB}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("www.websitehere.com")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{ENTER}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{TAB 2}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send("{ENTER}")
    Sleep(500)
    Send ("!{F4}")
    Sleep(1000)
EndIf

It works about 90% of the time, and the other 10% the script randomly freezes -- my assumption is it's getting held up on the "WinWait("http://127.0.0.1/ is not available - Google Chrome")" . The reason I open it up with 127.0.0.1 is because I want to control what window will open so I know what to wait for. 

Reason for posting this topic  -- Is there better way of setting the homepage in chrome? Or how can I open chrome straight into the settings page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



If the PC your trying to set the homepage on is in a domain, you can use Chrome policy settings.  You can set them with an ADM/ADMX template with Group Policy, or use registry settings.  For more info, read here.  If you want to use the registry, try this function.  The PC has to be a member of a domain for Chrome to honor these settings.  

Func _SetHomepageGoogleChrome($sHomepage)

    Local $s64Bit = ""
    Local $sWow6432Node = ""
    Local $sChromePathX86 = EnvGet("PROGRAMFILES(X86)") & "\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
    
    If @OSArch = "X64" Then 
        $s64Bit = "64"
        If FileExists($sChromePathX86) Then $sWow6432Node = "Wow6432Node\"
    EndIf
    
    Local Const $sRegKeyGoogleChrome = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" & $s64Bit & "\SOFTWARE\" & $sWow6432Node & "Policies\Google\Chrome"

    RegWrite($sRegKeyGoogleChrome, "HomepageLocation", "REG_SZ", $sHomepage)
    If @error Then Return SetError(1, @error, False)
    RegWrite($sRegKeyGoogleChrome & "\RestoreOnStartupURLs", "1", "REG_SZ", $sHomepage)
    If @error Then Return SetError(2, @error, False)

    Return True
EndFunc   ;==>_SetHomepageGoogleChrome

 

Adam

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam, this script will not be used for computers in domains. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then you will need to use the master_preferences file.  Have a look at Default user preferences.  

 

Adam

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0