Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qwert

Need assist to preserve JPG image quality

1 post in this topic

#1 ·  Posted

I'm scaling (down) a JPG and want to preserve the greatest possible quality level that's available in the original image.   This means—I think—that I need to write the downsized image with Quality = 100%.  (I'll mention that the original image is from a camera that uses a default quality setting of 90%, so it already has some level of compression.)

msdn explains it this way:

“To specify the compression level when you save a JPEG image, initialize an EncoderParameters object and pass the address of that object to the Save method of the Image class.”

I've looked at the following code from the GDI+ UDF and it seems to be passing the quality level from the original image ($sEncoder).  So, if I don't intervene, it seems it will be requesting a JPG quality of 90%, which would further compress the image.  Indeed, that's what seems to happen, because my written result is always smaller than what is produced by a 3rd party package that has quality set to 100% 

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Author ........: Paul Campbell (PaulIA)
; Modified.......: Gary Frost
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _GDIPlus_ImageSaveToFile($hImage, $sFileName)
    Local $sExt = __GDIPlus_ExtractFileExt($sFileName)
    Local $sCLSID = _GDIPlus_EncodersGetCLSID($sExt)
    If $sCLSID = "" Then Return SetError(-1, 0, False)

Local $bRet = _GDIPlus_ImageSaveToFileEx($hImage, $sFileName, $sCLSID, 0)
    Return SetError(@error, @extended, $bRet)
EndFunc   ;==>_GDIPlus_ImageSaveToFile

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Author ........: Paul Campbell (PaulIA)
; Modified.......: Gary Frost, jpm
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _GDIPlus_ImageSaveToFileEx($hImage, $sFileName, $sEncoder, $tParams = 0)
    Local $tGUID = _WinAPI_GUIDFromString($sEncoder)
    Local $aResult = DllCall($__g_hGDIPDll, "int", "GdipSaveImageToFile", "handle", $hImage, "wstr", $sFileName, "struct*", $tGUID, "struct*", $tParams)
    If @error Then Return SetError(@error, @extended, False)
    If $aResult[0] Then Return SetError(10, $aResult[0], False)

Return True
EndFunc   ;==>_GDIPlus_ImageSaveToFileEx

All this is a good bit beyond my experience level with GDI+ and I will appreciate hearing from someone with knowledge of these considerations.

Thanks in advance.