Delete users from the local admin group

• Developers

EDIT: it would be better to run SciTE at Administrator level and then run the script to be able to see the consolewrite output!  

Ok, so you can conclude it isn't process then...   So guess we need the next level debugging step. ;)

#RequireAdmin
#include <Array.au3>
#include <StringConstants.au3>

$sKeepNames = "(pxadmin|domain admins|desktop admin)"

; RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c net localgroup administrators>C:\Windows\Updates\LocaAdminGroupMembers.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)

Local $oGroup, $aUsers[1] = [""]
$oGroup = ObjGet("WinNT://" & @ComputerName & "/Administrators,group")
If IsObj($oGroup) Then
    For $member In $oGroup.Members
        _ArrayAdd($aUsers, StringRight($member.adsPath, (StringLen($member.adsPath) - 8)))
    Next
EndIf

$aUsers[0] = UBound($aUsers) - 1
;_ArrayDisplay($aUsers)

For $i = 1 To $aUsers[0]
    ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $aUsers[0] = ' & $aUsers[0] & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
    If Not StringRegExp($aUsers[$i], "(?i)" & $sKeepNames) Then ;<-- Added case-insensitive "(?i)"
        $sUser = StringTrimLeft($aUsers[$i], StringInStr($aUsers[$i], "/", 0, -1))
        ;RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c' & ' "' & 'net localgroup Administrators ' & $sUser & ' /delete' & '"', "", @SW_HIDE)
        RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c net localgroup Administrators "' & $sUser & '" /delete', "", @SW_HIDE)
        ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : cmd = ' & @ComSpec & ' /c net localgroup Administrators "' & $sUser & '" /delete' & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
    Else
        ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : Skipped ' & $aUsers[0] & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
    EndIf
Next

What does this give.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\Stuff\Scripts\AutoIT\RemoveAdmin\RemAdmin.au3" /UserParams    
+>08:54:01 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.17.224.935.0 SciTE v.3.7.3.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64  Environment(Language:0409)  CodePage:0  utf8.auto.check:4
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Users\usaaxf18\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper   SCITE_USERHOME => C:\Users\usaaxf18\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE 
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.2)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3  input:C:\Stuff\Scripts\AutoIT\RemoveAdmin\RemAdmin.au3
+>08:54:01 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.2):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "C:\Stuff\Scripts\AutoIT\RemoveAdmin\RemAdmin.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
@@ Debug(21) : $aUsers[0] = 4
@@ Debug(28) : Skipped 4
+>08:54:09 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>08:54:09 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 8.688

• Developers

i see I made a mistake...  that should of course have been  $aUsers[$i] in the debug statement to show the exact names found.

#RequireAdmin
#include <Array.au3>

$sKeepNames = "(pxadmin|domain admins|desktop admin)"

; RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c net localgroup administrators>C:\Windows\Updates\LocaAdminGroupMembers.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)

If IsObj($oGroup) Then
        _ArrayAdd($aUsers, StringRight($member.adsPath, (StringLen($member.adsPath) - 8)))
    Next
EndIf

;_ArrayDisplay($aUsers)

For $i = 1 To $aUsers[0]
    ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $aUsers[$i] = ' & $aUsers[$i] & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
    If Not StringRegExp($aUsers[$i], "(?i)" & $sKeepNames) Then ;<-- Added case-insensitive "(?i)"
        ;RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c' & ' "' & 'net localgroup Administrators ' & $sUser & ' /delete' & '"', "", @SW_HIDE)
        RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c net localgroup Administrators "' & $sUser & '" /delete', "", @SW_HIDE)
        ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : cmd = ' & @ComSpec & ' /c net localgroup Administrators "' & $sUser & '" /delete' & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
    Else
        ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : Skipped ' & $aUsers[$i] & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
    EndIf
Next

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Ah not worries Jos, thanks again for your help.

Here is the output:

@@ Debug(21) : $aUsers[$i] = DOMAIN-USA/USADANFAUGNOA21/PXAdmin
@@ Debug(28) : Skipped DOMAIN-USA/USADANFAUGNOA21/PXAdmin
@@ Debug(21) : $aUsers[$i] = DOMAIN-USA/Domain Admins
@@ Debug(28) : Skipped DOMAIN-USA/Domain Admins
@@ Debug(21) : $aUsers[$i] = DOMAIN-USA/Desktop Admin
@@ Debug(28) : Skipped DOMAIN-USA/Desktop Admin
@@ Debug(21) : $aUsers[$i] = DOMAIN-USA/PDIDesktop Admin
@@ Debug(28) : Skipped DOMAIN-USA/PDIDesktop Admin

• Developers

Ok ... couple of things here after some debugging:

The $sKeepNames  needs the total name for the group including the domain, similar to what is returend by the WMI call.
The RexgEx test is the wrong way around making it fail at the wrong times.

This should be close:

#RequireAdmin
#include <Array.au3>

$sKeepNames = "(pxadmin|DOMAIN-USA/domain admins|DOMAIN-USA/desktop admin)"

If IsObj($oGroup) Then
    Next
EndIf

;_ArrayDisplay($aUsers)

For $i = 1 To $aUsers[0]
    ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $aUsers[$i] = ' & $aUsers[$i] & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
    If Not StringRegExp($sKeepNames, "(?i)" & $aUsers[$i]) Then ;<-- Added case-insensitive "(?i)"
    Else
        ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : Skipped ' & $aUsers[$i] & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
    EndIf
Next

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

@Jos

We are getting closer however it keeps trying to delete a local user "pxadmin" which is the build in administrator account renamed which cannot be deleted.  So it's really not an issue because that account cannot be deleted however if we can avoid that script from trying to delete that account it would be nice.  The other domain groups seem to be removed! Thank you.

SciTE output snippet:

@@ Debug(21) : $aUsers[$i] = DOMAIN-USA/USADANFAUGNOA21/PXAdmin
@@ Debug(26) : cmd = C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c net localgroup Administrators "PXAdmin" /delete
>Error code: 0

• Developers

Just put the whole string you get from the array into the $sKeepNames variable and separate them with a vertical-bar character.

$sKeepNames = "(DOMAIN-USA/USADANFAUGNOA21/PXAdmin|DOMAIN-USA/domain admins|DOMAIN-USA/desktop admin)"

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

close but guess this should be closer:

$sKeepNames = "(DOMAIN-USA/" & @ComputerName & "/pxadmin|PxAdmin|PXAdmin|DOMAIN-USA/pdidesktop admin)"

Aren't you using SciTE with it's syntaxcolor/highlighting as that helps to see where a literal string ends.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

You're welcome, but ...

Just now, antmar904 said:

now the fun part of dissecting to try and better understand exactly what it's doing.

.. I think you are really brave running stuff made by others without first understanding it. ;) 
I prefer to do it normally the other way around before actually running it.

Enjoy,
Jos 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

@Jos

Thanks again for your help on this however I have some domain groups that have a "_" in the name that aren't being removed from the local admin group even when the group is not in the exception list ($sKeepsNames variable).

Exp:  group name is "pds_plantdesign_desktop_admin"

#RequireAdmin
#include <Array.au3>

$sKeepNames = "(DOMAIN-USA/" & @ComputerName & "/pxadmin)"

;RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c net localgroup administrators>C:\Windows\Updates\LocaAdminGroupMembers.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)

If IsObj($oGroup) Then
    Next
EndIf

;_ArrayDisplay($aUsers)

For $i = 1 To $aUsers[0]
    If Not StringRegExp($sKeepNames, "(?i)" & $aUsers[$i]) Then ;<-- Added case-insensitive "(?i)"
    Else
    EndIf
Next

Capture.JPG

Edited by antmar904

• Developers

You need to provide a little info and maybe bring it back to something simple that shows your issue.
This simple excerpt of your script returns a 0 for me which means it is not in the $sKeepNames list:

$sKeepNames = "(DOMAIN-USA/" & @ComputerName & "/pxadmin)"
$testname = "DOMAIN-USA/pds_plantdesign_desktop_admin"
ConsoleWrite('! StringRegExp($sKeepNames, "(?i)" & $testname) = ' & StringRegExp($sKeepNames, "(?i)" & $testname) & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console

Assume you changed the $sKeepNames before posting as it looks strange having a domain and @Compurename concatenated. ;)

Either way, update the simple test script to something that actually goes wrong ( return a 1 when it shouldn't) so we can test.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I'm getting error code 0 but the group still remains.

@@ Debug(21) : $aUsers[$i] = DOMAIN-USA/PDS_PlantDesign_Desktop_Admin
@@ Debug(26) : cmd = C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c net localgroup Administrators "PDS_PlantDesign_Desktop_Admin" /delete

Ill test your script in a little bit, have to run out.

We have the domain and computer name truncated because that is a local account we want to keep and that is what is returned by the array.

#RequireAdmin
#include <Array.au3>

$sKeepNames = "(DOMAIN-USA/" & @ComputerName & "/pxadmin)" ;<--- Local account.

;RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c net localgroup administrators>C:\Windows\Updates\LocaAdminGroupMembers.txt", "", @SW_HIDE)

If IsObj($oGroup) Then
    Next
EndIf

_ArrayDisplay($aUsers)

For $i = 1 To $aUsers[0]
    Else
    EndIf
Next

Edited by antmar904

• Developers
8 minutes ago, antmar904 said:

@@ Debug(21) : $aUsers[$i] = DOMAIN-USA/PDS_PlantDesign_Desktop_Admin
@@ Debug(26) : cmd = C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c net localgroup Administrators "PDS_PlantDesign_Desktop_Admin" /delete

Without the domain prefix in the Net command?

8 minutes ago, antmar904 said:

We have the domain and computer name truncated because the is a local account we want to keep and that is what is returned by the array.

Don't understand this, but do understand that the formed literal string is wrong in that statement... eg when the hostname is ABC it will look like:

$sKeepNames = "(DOMAIN-USA/ABC/pxadmin)" ;<--- Local admin account.

This doesn't look right ....agree?

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

yes, it works for other groups without "_" and just spaces.

This works:

@@ Debug(21) : $aUsers[$i] = DOMAIN-USA/ihisdskadm
@@ Debug(26) : cmd = C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c net localgroup Administrators "ihisdskadm" /delete

• Developers

Sorry was still updating the previous post... :)

Anyways, i still think the domainname should be included in the commandline or not? 
Did you try these manually yourself from the commandline:?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c net localgroup Administrators "PDS_PlantDesign_Desktop_Admin" /delete 
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c net localgroup Administrators "DOMAIN\PDS_PlantDesign_Desktop_Admin" /delete

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

1 hour ago, Jos said:

Without the domain prefix in the Net command?

Don't understand this, but do understand that the formed literal string is wrong in that statement... eg when the hostname is ABC it will look like:

$sKeepNames = "(DOMAIN-USA/ABC/pxadmin)" ;<--- Local admin account.

This doesn't look right ....agree?

Jos

This is what's returned in the Array:

Capture.JPG