Sign in to follow this  
Abdulla060

adding elements to 3d arrays

Abdulla060

i have a 3d array that is [10][20][6] for now lets assume that its [3][3][3] so it looks something like this 

[[[1,2,3],[1,2,3],[1,2,3]],
 [[1,2,3],[1,2,3],[1,2,3]],
 [[1,2,3],[1,2,3],[1,2,3]]]

i need to add another 1d  array to the position [2][3] ( i hope its clear) so it becomes like this 

[[[1,2,3],[1,2,3],[1,2,3]],
 [[1,2,3],[1,2,3],[1,2,3]],
 [[1,2,3],[1,2,3],[1,2,3],[4,5,6]]]

and i have no idea how :) 

TheXman
Posted (edited)

The first thing you would need to do is redim the array because it would no longer fit in a [3][3][3] array.  It would have to be at least [3][4][3].

[
    [
        [1,2,3],
        [1,2,3],
        [1,2,3]
    ],
    [
        [1,2,3],
        [1,2,3],
        [1,2,3]
    ],
    [
        [1,2,3],
        [1,2,3],
        [1,2,3],
        [4,5,6]
    ]
 ]

Edited by TheXman
Corrected typo in array structure

Whoever said that there's no such thing as a dumb question, probably asked a lot of DUMB questions.  Dumb questions are ones that you can easily find the answer to on your own.

TheXman
Posted (edited)
#include <Array.au3>

example()

;==========================================================================
;
;==========================================================================
Func example()

Local $aArray[3][3][3] = _
        [ _
            [ _
                [1,2,3], _
                [1,2,3], _
                [1,2,3] _
            ], _
            [ _
                [1,2,3], _
                [1,2,3], _
                [1,2,3] _
            ], _
            [ _
                [1,2,3], _
                [1,2,3], _
                [1,2,3] _
            ] _
         ]

; Increase the 2nd dimension
    ReDim $aArray[3][4][3]

; Add [4,5,6] to [2][3]
    $aArray[2][3][0] = 4
    $aArray[2][3][1] = 5
    $aArray[2][3][2] = 6

; Show that [4,5,6] was  successfully added to [2][3]
    Local $aTemp[0]
    _ArrayAdd($aTemp, $aArray[2][3][0])
    _ArrayAdd($aTemp, $aArray[2][3][1])
    _ArrayAdd($aTemp, $aArray[2][3][2])
    _ArrayDisplay($atemp)

EndFunc

Edited by TheXman
Fixed a typo

Whoever said that there's no such thing as a dumb question, probably asked a lot of DUMB questions.  Dumb questions are ones that you can easily find the answer to on your own.

Abdulla060
Posted (edited)

thank you very much for your reply but i decided to just turn the last level of arrays into strings so i ended with a 2d array which is much easier to work with, however now i have a new question how do append data to to each column in a [3][3] array if i use the _arrayadd it will add the data to to the right columns but it will create a new row for each new value

Edited by Abdulla060
changed the question

TheXman
Posted (edited)

Edited by TheXman
Question was changed so answer was to a different question

TheXman
Posted (edited)

Edited by TheXman
Question was changed so answer was to a different question

Abdulla060
8 minutes ago, TheXman said:
#include <Array.au3>

example1()

Func example1()

Local $aArray[3][3] = [ [1,1,1], [1,0,0], [1,0,0] ]

_ArrayDisplay($aArray, "Example1")

EndFunc

ok that was a dump question from my end xD sorry about that 

now one last thing and everything is clear for me. how do i append data to a column (without selecting the row basically add data to the first empty cell in a column)

TheXman

Maybe it would be easier if I had a better understanding of what you are trying to achieve because your question, as it relates to arrays, does not make much sense to me.  Adding rows is much more common than dynamically adding columns.  It is easy enough to do but I think there's probably a better solution.

Abdulla060
39 minutes ago, TheXman said:

Maybe it would be easier if I had a better understanding of what you are trying to achieve because your question, as it relates to arrays, does not make much sense to me.  Adding rows is much more common than dynamically adding columns.  It is easy enough to do but I think there's probably a better solution.

i have a script that pulls data from a json file and add them to the 3d array from earlier (which is now 2d) im just trying to keep everything in one array rather than defining 10 of them, i want to put the data into each array and make the first element of each array an index of how many things are in each array 

local $array1[3] = [3 ,'a', 'b', 'c']
local $array2[3] = [3 ,'a', 'b', 'c']
Local $array3[3] = [3 ,'a', 'b', 'c']
Local $allarrays[3] = [$array1, $array2, $array3]

what i want is this but using a single 2d array

TheXman

Why move the data from JSON into an array?  The JSON data can, most likely, be processed just as easily in its native format as it can be in an array.  It it sounds like it would be much more efficient to process it as JSON since there are already methods/functions to give you the counts of JSON objects and JSON array items.

Abdulla060

because i need to edit that data and sort them before i can use it, if not for that then yes using it from the json file would be much more efficient

Abdulla060

i give up i'm just going to make 10 arrays :(

iamtheky
Posted (edited)

if you have the entire string you can just declare it in a 2D fashion

#include<array.au3>

local $array = [[3 ,'a', 'b', 'c'],[6 ,'a', 'b', 'c','d','e','f'],[4 ,'a', 'b', 'c','d']]

_ArrayDisplay($array)

also, i would add things to it with something like this:

#include<array.au3>

local $array = [[3 ,'a', 'b', 'c'],[6 ,'a', 'b', 'c','d','e','f'],[4 ,'a', 'b', 'c','d']]
_ArrayDisplay($array , 'base')

local $aAdd = [7 ,'a', 'b', 'c','d','e','f','g']

If ubound($aAdd) > ubound($array , 2) Then ReDim $array[ubound($array)][ubound($aAdd)]

_ArrayAdd($array , _ArrayToString($aAdd) , 0 , "|")
_ArrayDisplay($array)

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)