Can't get script to execute program

I am using this line

Run ( @ProgramFilesDir & "\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe",@SW_MAXIMIZE)

It won't work with firefox, however, if I replace the same spots with internet explorer and iexplore.exe it launches internet explorer.  Any ideas as to why it won't work with firefox?

Is there a better command to use instead of this one?

-JimJam5x

• Developers

That won't work when you run it with AutoIt3.exe and requires autoit3_64.exe! 
When you have the full SciTE4AutoIt3 installed you could use the directive:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=y

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Alright Thanks! I'll give that a try.  For future knowledge, is there a reason the same line works with internet explorer with the "same" directory and code. 

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

Run ( @ProgramFilesDir & "\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe",@SW_MAXIMIZE)

• Developers

Guess that is also available in a 32bit version in  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer" ...right? ;)

@ProgramFilesDir =  "C:\Program Files (x86)" in x86 mode
@ProgramFilesDir =  "C:\Program Files" in x64 mode

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

This compiled script:

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile_x64=TestFF.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=y
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

$pid = Run(@ProgramFilesDir & "\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe","",@SW_MAXIMIZE)
MsgBox(0,"PID",$pid,5)

works for me. In script mode (x86 compatible) it does also. But in first try the Directives aren't set.

Edited by AutoBert

33 minutes ago, Jos said:

That won't work when you run it with AutoIt3.exe and requires autoit3_64.exe! 
When you have the full SciTE4AutoIt3 installed you could use the directive:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=y

Jos

I have uninstalled the old editor and downloaded the full version.  How do I use this directive? 

I also tried "function run" that I found on autoitscript.com but still no success, not sure if it doesn't work for the same reasons as above.  Could also be writing the line wrong.

run ( "firefox.exe" , "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox")

54 minutes ago, AutoBert said:

This compiled script:

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile_x64=TestFF.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=y
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

$pid = Run(@ProgramFilesDir & "\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe","",@SW_MAXIMIZE)
MsgBox(0,"PID",$pid,5)

works for me. In script mode (x86 compatible) it does also. But in first try the Directives aren't set.

This worked! I see the #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=y that Jos suggested above.  Seems that could have potentially been my problem.

Thank you everyone for the help, been working on this for about 3 hours now, glad to have it working.

-JimJam5x

• Developers

Just put in the line as I posted at the top. The SciTE4AutoIt3 helpfile is your friend for more details! ( F1 with the cursor on the directive)

The Run() syntax is wrong from the start! Again open the helpfile (f1 on run) to see what is wrong!

Run ( "program" [, "workingdir" [, show_flag [, opt_flag]]] )

Parameters

program The full path of the program (EXE, BAT, COM, or PIF) to run (see remarks).
workingdir [optional] The working directory. Blank ("") uses the current working directory. This is not the path to the program.
show_flag [optional] The "show" flag of the executed program:
    @SW_HIDE = Hidden window (or Default keyword)
    @SW_MINIMIZE = Minimized window
    @SW_MAXIMIZE = Maximized window
opt_flag

[optional] Controls various options related to how the parent and child process interact.
    $STDIN_CHILD (0x1) = Provide a handle to the child's STDIN stream
    $STDOUT_CHILD (0x2) = Provide a handle to the child's STDOUT stream
    $STDERR_CHILD (0x4) = Provide a handle to the child's STDERR stream
    $STDERR_MERGED (0x8) = Provides the same handle for STDOUT and STDERR. Implies both $STDOUT_CHILD and $STDERR_CHILD.
    $STDIO_INHERIT_PARENT (0x10) = Provide the child with the parent's STDIO streams. This flag can not be combined with any other STDIO flag. This flag is only useful when the parent is compiled as a Console application.
    $RUN_CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE (0x10000) = The child console process should be created with it's own window instead of using the parent's window. This flag is only useful when the parent is compiled as a Console application.

Constants are defined in AutoItConstants.au3.

So the first example is missing the Workdir parameter and the last one is missing the full path in the first parameter.

EDIT: See you got it fixed .... also the parameters. ;)

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

23 hours ago, JimJam5x said:

Return value? Didn't know I needed a return value since it works with iexplorer.  Beginner at all this by the way (first script that I have created) so that could be the problem.

I see you have it working, but I'll just comment:  You don't need a return value, or should I say, the Run command returns a value whether you use it or not.  But looking at the return value while you're debugging (for example in a message box or console write) can sometimes help you figure out why it isn't working.