fileread issue (I think)

Hello all

A programme I wrote for the organisation for which I work has been in use for a number of years with no issue.  One of the things that it does is allow for attachments to be selected (Word docs, Excel sheets, etc) which it then writes away as a BLOB in MySQL.

This was all working fine until recently, when suddenly, on the odd occasion, Word would advise that the file was corrupt on retrieval of the BLOB from MySQL.

Upon further examination it appears that the issue is not with the retrieval of the data from MySQL, but reading in the data from the disk by AutoIT.   It seems that on occasions that AutoIT will only read half the file.  

I have no idea why this is, as the whole function is very simple.   I have included a sanitised vesion of it below in the hope that someone can tell me where to look next, as this one has me beat (again).  😋

I have put some comments in to show what I have done to try and solve the problem, but am getting no closer to the truth.  @error is the strangest one - it should return -1 when it reaches end of file but is returning zero. 

Func _AttachAttachment()
   local $file,$chars,$fsize
   If $RFC_Retrieved = False Then
      msgbox(0,"Error","Must have a RFC active first")
   Else
      $file=FileOpenDialog("Attach to RFC",".","All (*.*)",1)
      ; Check if file opened for reading OK
      If $file = -1 Then
         MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
         Exit
      EndIf
;     FileClose($file)      These two lines are my attempt to open the file in binary mode. Made no difference
;     FileOpen($file,16)
      ; Read in the File
      $fsize = FileGetSize($file)
ConsoleWrite("File size is " & $fsize & @CRLF)  ; the size comes back as what it say in Windows properties
;     $chars = FileRead($file,$fsize)           ; I was using this, then tried the line following this. It didn't help
$chars = FileRead($file)                        ; This is showing a figure $chars/2 - 1    I don't understand this
ConsoleWrite("Number of chars read is " & @extended & " error code is " & @error & @crlf)   ; @error is coming back with 0.  I don't understand this as I thought it would be -1
      FileClose($file)
      EndIf
   EndIf
EndFunc

Thanks in advance for looking at this

Clark

Edited by Clark

• Developers

When using FileOpen(), a filehandle is returned which you need to use to read the file, NOT the filename!
Check the helpfile for an example.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

27 minutes ago, Jos said:

When using FileOpen(), a filehandle is returned which you need to use to read the file, NOT the filename!
Check the helpfile for an example.

Jos

Isn't that what I have done?  $file is the return value (presumably a filehand) from FileOpenDialogue, which I then use in FileRead.   (Or am I misinterpreting what you are saying)

1 minute ago, Subz said:

FileOpenDialogue only returns the path of the chosen file.

Right!  I will take the path and pass it to FileOpen and then use the handle in FileRead and see if that works.

Strange my code very worked at all, really!  😂

You can use either the handle or the filename, however your code included FileClose() which is only for "filehandle", you shouldn't mix the two.  According to the helpfile, using filehandle should be quicker parsing larger files than just using "filename".  WIth regards to your statement about @error returning 0, this is correct behaviour, if you look at the return value for FileRead, a failure will return a non-zero.  The -1 you're referring to is a failure reading a file where it has no content, so only returns the eof.

Thanks for everyone's help.   The problem is fixed.

Fixed code is as follows:

$file=FileOpenDialog("Attach to RFC",".","All (*.*)",1)
      $filehnd=FileOpen($file,16)
      ; Check if file opened for reading OK
      If $filehnd = -1 Then
         MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
         Exit
      EndIf
      ; Read in the File
      $fsize = FileGetSize($file)
      $chars = FileRead($filehnd)
      FileClose($filehnd)

The FileGetSize call not being needed in fact.

Thanks again

Clark