GUI: mouse to focus on a control?

Update: Download the latest version here.

As my first stab at GUI scripting, I'm trying to write a simple graphical interface for Grep for Windows. I have a basic GUI, but I'm stuck on one point and nothing I've tried so far works. The sticking point is that while the Tab key works to move focus from one input control to the next, clicking the mouse on any but the first input does nothing. This seems like a basic feature of GUI functionality that should work out of the box (like Tab), but clearly I'm missing something. I tried (among many other things) Melba23's technique in the post below, but this doesn't do what I'm after -- getting the left click to set the insertion point for user input. Would greatly appreciate a pointer or two. 😉

Here's my code so far:

; Grep for Windows -- GUI [CLD]

#include <AutoItConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", -2)

#cs
FileInstall("X:\nix\search1.ico", @TempDir & "\search1.ico")
FileInstall("X:\nix\grep.exe", @TempDir & "\grep.exe")
FileInstall("X:\nix\sed.exe", @TempDir & "\sed.exe")
FileInstall("X:\nix\libiconv2.dll", @TempDir & "\libiconv2.dll")
FileInstall("X:\nix\libintl3.dll", @TempDir & "\libintl3.dll")
FileInstall("X:\nix\pcre3.dll", @TempDir & "\pcre3.dll")
FileInstall("X:\nix\regex2.dll", @TempDir & "\regex2.dll")
#ce

; $sDefFs = @ScriptDir & "\.txt"
$sOut = ""
$iX = 20
$iY = 20
$hgGGrep = GUICreate("Grep for Windows: Simple TeXT search", 600, 600)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hgGGrep)

; Obtain value of control: GUICtrlRead()
; left, top, width,   height
; $iX,  $iY, $iX + n, $iY + m

; $hgIco = GUICtrlCreateIcon(@ScriptDir & "\search1.ico", $iX, $iY, 10)
$hgGL0 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Enter a string or regular expression" & @CRLF & "(space between words means ""OR"")", $iX + 50, $iY, 250, 30)

$hgSch = GUICtrlCreateInput("", $iX + 50, $iY + 40, 325, 20, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT, -1)

$hgXyZ = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("cAsE-sEnSiTiVe", $iX + 50, $iY + 65, -1, -1)

$hgExe = GUICtrlCreateButton("Search", 400, $iY + 40, -1, -1)

$hgFL1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Filespec",      $iX +  50, $iY + 100, 250, 20)
$hgFs1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("d:\path\*.txt", $iX + 110, $iY + 100, 250, 20, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT, -1)
$hgFL2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Filespec",      $iX +  50, $iY + 120, 250, 20)
$hgFs2 = GUICtrlCreateInput("",              $iX + 110, $iY + 120, 250, 20, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT, -1)
$hgFL3 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Filespec",      $iX +  50, $iY + 140, 250, 20)
$hgFs3 = GUICtrlCreateInput("",              $iX + 110, $iY + 140, 250, 20, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT,-1)

$hgOut = GUICtrlCreateEdit($sOut, 25, 190, 550, 400, $ES_LEFT, -1)

GUICtrlSetState($hgSch, $GUI_FOCUS)

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() 

Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch

WEnd

;

#cs
_WinAPI_SetFocus(ControlGetHandle("Grep for Windows", "", $hgSch))
_WinAPI_SetFocus(ControlGetHandle("Grep for Windows", "", $hgFs1))
_WinAPI_SetFocus(ControlGetHandle("Grep for Windows", "", $hgFs2))
_WinAPI_SetFocus(ControlGetHandle("Grep for Windows", "", $hgFs3))
#ce

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CarlD
Added download link

Hi CarlD

Your 3 Label controls got a too large width that overlaps the 3 Input controls on the same line.
Just reduce each Label control width, for example from 250 to 50, then you can select the 3 Input controls with your mouse

$hgFL1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Filespec",      $iX +  50, $iY + 100, 50, 20)
$hgFs1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("d:\path\*.txt", $iX + 110, $iY + 100, 250, 20, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT, -1)

$hgFL2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Filespec",      $iX +  50, $iY + 120, 50, 20)
$hgFs2 = GUICtrlCreateInput("",              $iX + 110, $iY + 120, 250, 20, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT, -1)

$hgFL3 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Filespec",      $iX +  50, $iY + 140, 50, 20)
$hgFs3 = GUICtrlCreateInput("",              $iX + 110, $iY + 140, 250, 20, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT,-1)

$hgOut = GUICtrlCreateEdit($sOut, 25, 190, 550, 400, $ES_LEFT, -1)

Also, concerning the $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_* styles, Melba23 explained something interesting here :
https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/122105-gui_ss_default_input/?do=findComment&comment=847583

It shows that you don't need to use the $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT variable in your Input control style, because it's the default and you're not adding any new style to it.

On the contrary, as you're adding a new style to your Edit control, then you should keep its default $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_EDIT and add to it your new style, using the BitOr() function.

Also, -1 is not required as extended style as it's the default, which brings us here :

$hgFL1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Filespec",      $iX +  50, $iY + 100, 50, 20)
$hgFs1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("d:\path\*.txt", $iX + 110, $iY + 100, 250, 20)

$hgFL2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Filespec",      $iX +  50, $iY + 120, 50, 20)
$hgFs2 = GUICtrlCreateInput("",              $iX + 110, $iY + 120, 250, 20)

$hgFL3 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Filespec",      $iX +  50, $iY + 140, 50, 20)
$hgFs3 = GUICtrlCreateInput("",              $iX + 110, $iY + 140, 250, 20)

$hgOut = GUICtrlCreateEdit($sOut, 25, 190, 550, 400, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_EDIT, $ES_LEFT))

Good luck :)

Edited by pixelsearch
4 hours ago, pixelsearch said:

Your 3 Label controls got a too large width that overlaps the 3 Input controls on the same line.

Just reduce each Label control width, for example from 250 to 50, then you can select the 3 Input controls with your mouse

That's it! Problem solved. Thank you, @pixelsearch!

4 hours ago, pixelsearch said:

Also, concerning the $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_* styles, Melba23 explained something interesting here :
https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/122105-gui_ss_default_input/?do=findComment&comment=847583

It shows that you don't need to use the $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT variable in your Input control style, because it's the default and you're not adding any new style to it.

On the contrary, as you're adding a new style to your Edit control, then you should keep its default $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_EDIT and add to it your new style, using the BitOr() function.

Also, -1 is not required as extended style as it's the default, which brings us here :

[...]

Noted, thank you. Some of these parameters are just placeholders, as I'm still learning my way. I just started this yesterday!

Your help is much appreciated! 😀

Well, I've got pretty far with this in the last week, I think. Grep for Windows is lightning fast for text search, and my script wraps a simple GUI around it. You can read search results in the Edit window, or export them to a text editor or to Word (rich text). The EXEcutable is attached (GGREP.ZIP). The source code is accessible via the Settings button. Thanks again to @pixelsearch for getting me over the initial hump. 🤓

You can download the latest version here.

Edited by CarlD
Added download link

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mo0C0w
      Hey guys!
      I just started working with the GUI yesterday and it has only brought more fun to the Autoit adventure  
      Basically I have a GUI windows that opens and based on the selection of the combo box the button will do something different. This specific scenario I am talking about the Client Update Verification  combo selection. When selected and the button is pressed my second gui window opens. As of now if I only paste comp1 or comp2 by itself it works correctly, but if I paste both, it has a fit.
      What would the correct way to do this be? Any help or examples, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance

#include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <ComboConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <Client_List.au3> #Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=c:\users\dnoble\pictures\plexiibox v4.kxf Global $Form1_1 = GUICreate("Plexii", 336, 419, 1548, 586) GUISetBkColor(0xFFFFFF) Global $Pic1 = GUICtrlCreatePic("C:\Users\dnoble\Pictures\plexii.jpg", 41, 0, 252, 268, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_PIC,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) Global $Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Select Test", 125, 280, 95, 24) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif") Global $Combo2 = GUICtrlCreateCombo("Select Test", 39, 312, 257, 25, BitOR($CBS_DROPDOWN,$CBS_AUTOHSCROLL)) GUICtrlSetData(-1, "Client Update Verification|Bids") GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif") Global $Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Proceed", 111, 352, 129, 33) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif") GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) #EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ### While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit Case $Button1 If GUICtrlRead($Combo2) = "Client Update Verification" Then _Form2() ;clientupdateverification() EndSwitch WEnd Func _Form2() #Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=c:\users\dnoble\pictures\plexiiboxclientupdate verification.kxf $Form1_1 = GUICreate("Plexii", 336, 521, 866, 454) GUISetBkColor(0xFFFFFF) $Edit1 = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 57, 72, 241, 345) GUICtrlSetData(-1, "Edit1") $Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Execute", 95, 440, 145, 41) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif") GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) #EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ### While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit Case $Button1 If GUICtrlRead($Edit1) = "comp1" Then comp1() If GUICtrlRead($Edit1) = "comp2" Then comp2() EndSwitch WEnd EndFunc  

• By XGamerGuide
      I'm trying to assign a faint text in the background to an input field that disappears after the input has started. This should have a certain color such as gray.
    • By Bruceway
      Hi All, 
      I am trying to mark out the middle square of this Magnify Routine "window on right" (stolen from M23 - Thanks) - I assume the DllCall is overwriting the boxes. But wherever I try and redraw, they won't stay on the Magnify Window. Can anyone advise, bet way to keep boxes around the middle square.
      Please be kind with my code, it is ripped from a MUCH bigger exe.
      The "half" transparent window, is for dragging to where you want it, and the buttons are for more precise placement.
      #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <WinAPI.au3> Global $hMag_GUI, $hMagDC, $hDeskDC, $hPen, $oObj, $aWinPos[2], $iLast_Mouse_X = 0, $iLast_Mouse_Y = 0 Global $pWindowCaptureX, $pWindowCaptureY Global $pWindowMagWinX, $pWindowMagWinY #Region - GUI3 ; *** Grabber/Picker Window Global $hGUI3 = GUICreate("Capture", 150, 150, $pWindowCaptureX, $pWindowCaptureY, $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW) Global $Pic1 = GUICtrlCreatePic("", 70, 40, 10, 10, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_PIC,$WS_BORDER)) Global $hButtonUp = GUICtrlCreateButton("U", 65, 60, 20, 20) Global $hButtonDown = GUICtrlCreateButton("D", 65, 100, 20, 20) Global $hButtonLeft = GUICtrlCreateButton("L", 40, 80, 20, 20) Global $hButtonRight = GUICtrlCreateButton("R", 90, 80, 20, 20) Global $hButtonOK = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", 60, 80, 30, 20) #EndRegion - GUI3 #Region - GUI4 Global $hGUI4 = GUICreate("MagWin", 250, 250, 325, 195) Global $hButtonMOK = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", 45, 140, 30, 20) Global $hButtonMUp = GUICtrlCreateButton("U", 50, 120, 20, 20) Global $hButtonMDown = GUICtrlCreateButton("D", 50, 160, 20, 20) Global $hButtonMLeft = GUICtrlCreateButton("L", 25, 140, 20, 20) Global $hButtonMRight = GUICtrlCreateButton("R", 75, 140, 20, 20) Global $hLabelWindow = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Window", 5, 185, 44, 15) Global $hLabelWindowText = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 60, 185, 176, 15) Global $hLabelCheck = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Check", 5, 205, 44, 15) Global $hLabelCheckText = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 60, 205, 176, 15) Global $hLabelScreen = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Screen", 5, 225, 44, 15) Global $hLabelScreenText = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 60, 225, 176, 15) #EndRegion - GUI4 ;GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $hGUI1) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI3) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI4) WinSetTrans($hGUI3, "", 100) $hMag_GUI = WinGetHandle("MagWin") ; Get device context for Mag GUI $hMagDC = _WinAPI_GetDC($hMag_GUI) If @error Then Exit ; Get device context for desktop $hDeskDC = _WinAPI_GetDC(0) If @error Then _WinAPI_ReleaseDC($hMag_GUI, $hMagDC) Exit EndIf ; Create pen $hPen = _WinAPI_CreatePen($PS_SOLID, 5, 0x7E7E7E) $oObj = _WinAPI_SelectObject($hMagDC, $hPen) ; Loop until the user exits. ; *** Static Window While 1 ; Reset position Local $aWinPos = WinGetPos("Capture") If $aWinPos[0] <> $iLast_Mouse_X Or $aWinPos[1] <> $iLast_Mouse_Y Then ; Redraw Mag GUI _FOEA_Loupe($aWinPos) ;~ Local $TWPx = $aWinPos[0]+81 ;+81 Top Left Corner; +85 Middle ;~ Local $TWPy = $aWinPos[1]+75 ;+75 Top Left Corner; +80 Middle ;~ ;*** WINDOW COORDS = x+81 & y+75 (top left of picker square) GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $hGUI3) Local $output1 = PixelCheckSum($aWinPos[0]+81, $aWinPos[1]+75, $aWinPos[0]+91, $aWinPos[1]+85) Local $output2 = PixelCheckSum($aWinPos[0]+73, $aWinPos[1]+66, $aWinPos[0]+83, $aWinPos[1]+76) If $aWinPos[0] < 1440 Then GUICtrlSetData($hLabelWindowText, $aWinPos[0]+81 & "(" & $aWinPos[0]+81+1440 &")," & $aWinPos[1]+75 & " : " & $output1) GUICtrlSetData($hLabelCheckText, $aWinPos[0]+73 & "(" & $aWinPos[0]+73+1440 & ")," & $aWinPos[1]+66 & " : " & $output2) GUICtrlSetData($hLabelScreenText, "W: " & $aWinPos[0]+73 & "(" & $aWinPos[0]+73+1440 &")," & $aWinPos[1]+66 & " C: " & $aWinPos[0]+81 & "," & $aWinPos[1]+75) Else GUICtrlSetData($hLabelWindowText, $aWinPos[0]+81-1440 & "(" & $aWinPos[0]+81 &")," & $aWinPos[1]+75 & " : " & $output1) GUICtrlSetData($hLabelCheckText, $aWinPos[0]+89-1440 & "(" & $aWinPos[0]+89 &")," & $aWinPos[1]+84 & " : " & $output2) GUICtrlSetData($hLabelScreenText, "W: " & $aWinPos[0]+73-1440 & "(" & $aWinPos[0]+73 & ")," & $aWinPos[1]+66 & " C: " & $aWinPos[0]+81 & "," & $aWinPos[1]+75) ;GUICtrlSetData($hLabel2, $aWinPos[1]+75) EndIf GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI3) $iLast_Mouse_X = $aWinPos[0] $iLast_Mouse_Y = $aWinPos[1] $pWindowCaptureX = $aWinPos[0] $pWindowCaptureY = $aWinPos[1] ; *** Box ; Tried it here - doesn't work ;~ Global $Graphic = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(176, 55, 2, 20) ;~ Global $Graphic = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(194, 55, 2, 20) ;~ Global $Graphic = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(176, 55, 20, 2) ;~ Global $Graphic = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(176, 73, 20, 2) ;~ Global $Graphic = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(0, 0, 1, 1) EndIf Switch GUIGetMsg() Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Local $aWinPos = WinGetPos("MagWin") $pWindowMagWinX = $aWinPos[0] $pWindowMagWinY = $aWinPos[1] ;GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $hGUI3) GUIDelete($hGUI3) ; Clear up Mag GUI _WinAPI_SelectObject($hMagDC, $oObj) _WinAPI_DeleteObject($hPen) _WinAPI_ReleaseDC(0, $hDeskDC) _WinAPI_ReleaseDC($hMag_GUI, $hMagDC) ;GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $hMag_G GUIDelete($hGUI4) GUIDelete($hMag_GUI) ExitLoop Case $hButtonMOK GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $hGUI3) Local $aWinPos = WinGetPos("Capture") Local $TWPx = $aWinPos[0]+81 ;+81 Top Left Corner; +85 Middle Local $TWPy = $aWinPos[1]+75 ;+75 Top Left Corner; +80 Middle ;*** WINDOW COORDS = x+81 & y+75 (top left of picker square) If $aWinPos[0] > 1440 Then $aWinPos[0] = $aWinPos[0]-1440 $TWPx = $TWPx-1440 EndIf Local $output0 = PixelCheckSum($TWPx-8, $TWPy-9, $TWPx-8+10, $TWPy+1) ;_FOEA_WinAPI_DrawRect(LRChecksum($TWPx-8), $TWPy-9, LRChecksum($TWPx-8)+10, $TWPy+1, 0xFFFFFF, 50) MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Results ", _ "Window Coords" & @CRLF & _ $TWPx & "(" & $TWPx+1440 & "), " & $TWPy & @CRLF & _ "Checksum0: " & $output0 & @CRLF) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI3) WinActivate($hGUI3, "Capture") Case $hButtonMUp _FOEA_ButtonMUp() Case $hButtonMDown _FOEA_ButtonMDown() Case $hButtonMRight _FOEA_ButtonMRight() Case $hButtonMLeft _FOEA_ButtonMLeft() EndSwitch WEnd Func _FOEA_Loupe($aWinPos) Local $iX, $iY DllCall("gdi32.dll", "int", "StretchBlt", _ "int", $hMagDC, "int", 10, "int", 10, "int", 110, "int", 110, _ "int", $hDeskDC, "int", $aWinPos[0]+68, "int", $aWinPos[1]+61, "int", 20, "int", 20, _ "long", $SRCCOPY) DllCall("gdi32.dll", "int", "StretchBlt", _ "int", $hMagDC, "int", 130, "int", 10, "int", 110, "int", 110, _ "int", $hDeskDC, "int", $aWinPos[0]+70, "int", $aWinPos[1]+63, "int", 7, "int", 7, _ "long", $SRCCOPY) ; Appears initially - then disappears... Global $Graph1 = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(170, 57, 8, 16, $SS_WHITERECT) Global $Graph2 = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(170, 73, 31, 8, $SS_WHITERECT) Global $Graph3 = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(193, 57, 8, 16, $SS_WHITERECT) Global $Graph4 = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(170, 49, 31, 8, $SS_WHITERECT) ; This apears to be needed to stop the Magnify window moving Global $Graph5 = GUICtrlCreateGraphic(0, 0, 1, 1) ;Tried this too - no difference GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $Graph1) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $Graph2) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $Graph3) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $Graph4) EndFunc ;==>Loupe Func _FOEA_ButtonMUp() Local $aWinPos = WinGetPos("Capture") WinMove($hGUI3, "Capture", $aWinPos[0], $aWinPos[1]-1) EndFunc Func _FOEA_ButtonMDown() Local $aWinPos = WinGetPos("Capture") WinMove($hGUI3, "Capture", $aWinPos[0], $aWinPos[1]+1) EndFunc Func _FOEA_ButtonMRight() Local $aWinPos = WinGetPos("Capture") WinMove($hGUI3, "Capture", $aWinPos[0]+1, $aWinPos[1]) EndFunc Func _FOEA_ButtonMLeft() Local $aWinPos = WinGetPos("Capture") WinMove($hGUI3, "Capture", $aWinPos[0]-1, $aWinPos[1]) EndFunc  
    • By XGamerGuide
      I'm trying to display a GIF. However, the GUI should not be visible. Here is an attempt that doesn't work:
      $sGIF = "MyGIF.gif" #Include <IE.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <WINAPI.au3> #include <SendMessage.au3> Global Const $SC_DRAGMOVE = 0xF012 HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Exit") $hGui = GUICreate("Test", 400, 300, -1, -1, $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_LAYERED) GUISetBkColor(0xABCDEF) $oIE = _IECreateEmbedded() GUICtrlCreateObj($oIE, 10, 10, 380, 280) _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes($hGUI, 0xABCDEF, 250) _IENavigate($oIE, $sGIF) GUISetState() While 1 Switch GUIGetMsg() Case $GUI_EVENT_PRIMARYDOWN _SendMessage($hGUI, $WM_SYSCOMMAND, $SC_DRAGMOVE, 0) EndSwitch WEnd Func _Exit() Exit  
    • By endtro
      I have a weird problem with a ToolTip function.
      It seems that I can't reliably remove a tooltip from the screen if I originally created it by setting a tooltip text via variable, not a straight up string.

Here's a simple script that I used for testing:

After I remade the script into this, it started working just fine (stopped working after I fixed the array comparison):

Basic idea of the script:
      You press F1 and a tooltip with some useful info shows up by the mouse cursor. It follows the cursor around until you press F1 again, then it copies the info to the clipboard and hides the tooltip.

It almost seems like if I created a tooltip using a variable to set the text, then ToolTip("") most of the times just repeats the previous use of ToolTip function. If you try to add Sleep(1000) before ToolTip("") in the first draft of the script, you'll see what i mean (if it works the same for everyone, that is).

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?