Sign in to follow this  
MK_2019

Access Global Variable inside a Function

Hello,

Am New to AutoIT, I Tried to search for Solution in the Forum, But could Not find.
Hence, Posting this Query.
I Have Different .au3 Files (Main.au3, File2.au3)
Am calling File2.au3 from Main.au3.
Am trying to increment the "$cell" value in Main.au3, so that, the value is captured in next cell of spreadsheet.
The Problem is, Even-though i have Declared Global Variable value (for $cell) in Main.au3,.. Local variable value (for $cell) From File2.au3 is Displayed in Spreadsheet... And $cell value is NOT getting Incremented.
Am Expecting Global Variable Value (for $cell) and increment in Main.au3.
Any Help is appreciated.

;~    <File2.au3>
;~.......... <File2.au3> ..........
    Local $cell = 1
    Local $Description ="TTT3"

Local $var = "C:\AutoIT_Excel_Report\Book3.xlsx"
        Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open (True)
        Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen ($oExcel, $var)

$range = _Excel_RangeWrite ($oWorkbook, Default, $Description, "A" &$cell)

_Excel_BookSave ($oWorkbook)
        Sleep (2000)
        _Excel_BookClose ($oWorkbook)
        Sleep(2000)
        _Excel_Close ($oExcel)

$cell +=1

;~    <Main.au3>    
;~.......... <Main.au3> ..........
    #include <File2.au3>

Global $cell = 4
    Global $Description = "Desc"

$sFilePath = "C:\xxx\xxx\File2.au3"

Func _Report($sFilePath, $sWorkingDir = "", $iShowFlag = @SW_SHOW, $iOptFlag = 0)
        Return Run('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & $sFilePath & '"', $sWorkingDir, $iShowFlag, $iOptFlag)
    EndFunc

If <Condition1> Then

<Action1....>
        _Report("C:\xxx\xxx\File2.au3")

EndIf

$cell +=1

If <Condition2> Then

<Action2....>
        _Report("C:\xxx\xxx\File2.au3")

EndIf
;~ .......... <Main.au3> ..........

Is the variable $cell declared local inside a function in script File2?

Also, when posting code, use the code block in the editor "<>" button, it makes things much easier to read.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Local $cell = 1

These variables you have declared in File2.au3 as Local are in fact Global. AutoIt  treats all variable declared outside a function as Global. There is no file scoping in AutoIt like some other languages. 

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

image.thumb.png.515edd03a5d8c585dfd52858b887857a.png

Thank You for Reply... Have Moved the scripts into a Function ( _File() in File2.au3 ).. And have declared variables as Local inside Function ( _File() )... But still issue Remain.... $cell value is still considered from local... Not getting incremented....

Is below Script correct?? Or am i missing something?? :(

;~    <File2.au3>

Func _File()
    Local $cell = 1

Sleep (2000)
        Sleep(2000)
        _Excel_Close ($oExcel)

EndFunc

_File ()

On 8/9/2019 at 12:38 PM, MK_2019 said:

Func _Report($sFilePath, $sWorkingDir = "", $iShowFlag = @SW_SHOW, $iOptFlag = 0)
        Return Run('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & $sFilePath & '"', $sWorkingDir, $iShowFlag, $iOptFlag)
    EndFunc

you run file2.au3 in a new process which have a totally separated memory . 

Hello Network_Guy....,  It would be appreciable, if you can share a script (for Reference) from which i could Run new process in totally seperate memory....

using Run() will run new process in totally separated memory and thats the reason for your problem with $cell . i cant rly get what are you trying to do with this script , but here is mini example for calling function from included au3 with shared global variable.

Main

#include<test.au3>

Global $var=0

for $i =0 to 2
    _Function()
    $var+=1
next

Include(test.au3)

#include-once

func _function()
MsgBox(0,"",$var)
EndFunc

Edited by Network_Guy

image.png.73df18ba555096942a879e9a105b9564.png

Hello Network_Guy.... You were Correct.., The Problem was "Return Run()"... it was creating a Separate memory...

Also, I changed Variable (in Function) to "Dim" from "Local"...

Below are the Modified Script  i was able to Run the Script and get desired Expected Result... 

Thank You and All in the Thread for your suggestions... 

******.......... <Main.au3> ..........******

#RequireAdmin

Global $cell = 6
    Global $Description ="Global"
    $sFilePath = "C:\xxx\xxx\file2.au3"
    #include <file2.au3>

;Func _Report($sFilePath, $sWorkingDir = "", $iShowFlag = @SW_SHOW, $iOptFlag = 0)
    ;    Return Run('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & $sFilePath & '"', $sWorkingDir, $iShowFlag, $iOptFlag)
    ;EndFunc

$cell +=1
    For $i =0 to 2
        $Description = "i"&$cell
        _File()
        $i +=1
    $cell +=1
    Next

For $r =0 to 2
        $Description = "r"&$cell
        _File()
        $r +=1
    $cell +=1
    Next

For $k =0 To 2
        $Description = "k"&$cell
        _File()
        $k +=1
    $cell +=1
    Next

******.......... <Main.au3> ..........******

******......... <file2.au3> ..........******

#RequireAdmin
;#include-once
#include <excel.au3>

_File()

Func _File()
    Sleep (2000)
    Dim $cell
    Dim $Description
        Local $var = "C:\xxx\Book3.xlsx"

Sleep (2000)
        Sleep(2000)
        _Excel_Close ($oExcel)
        Sleep (2000)

EndFunc

******.......... <file2.au3> ..........******

Edited by MK_2019

On 8/10/2019 at 11:34 PM, MK_2019 said:

And have declared variables as Local inside Function ( _File() )... But still issue Remain.... $cell value is still considered from local... Not getting incremented....

A local variable with the same name as the Global variable will cause the local version to be used inside the function. Why are you redeclaring the variable $cell inside the function if you want to use the global version of it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator