RunAs script example not working

jaja714

I cannot get the RunAs example (from f1) working ... RunAs fails (@error=1) every time!

#include <AutoItConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    ; Change the username and password to the appropriate values for your system.
    Local $sUserName = "myUsername"
    Local $sPassword = "myPassword"

; Run Notepad with the window maximized. Notepad is run under the user previously specified.
    Local $iPID = RunAs($sUserName, @ComputerName, $sPassword, $RUN_LOGON_NOPROFILE, "notepad.exe", "", @SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED)

; Wait 10 seconds for the Notepad window to appear.
    WinWait("[CLASS:Notepad]", "", 10)

; Wait for 2 seconds.
    Sleep(2000)

; Close the Notepad process using the PID returned by RunAs.
    ProcessClose($iPID)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

So you have been around since 2009 and cannot figure out why a simple RunAs example doesn't work?  This ought to be interesting.  :)

Can I assume that you at least used a valid username and password when you ran the example?  Because when I use a valid username and password, the example script executes without any issues.  But when I use invalid credentials, the RunAs() function fails with an @error = 1.

Ha ... I did use valid username and password!  I actually used @username for the username.

I guess I'm not quite sure of the interplay between RunAs and RequireAdmin.  I am hoping that validating credentials on @computername would not require admin.

Also, this is the first time I am scripting on my work laptop.  I was hoping to authenticate locally (domain=@computername) so that I don't have to require being behind the firewall.  Do you think I have to prefix the username with the domain name ("domain\@username") or something?

I'm sure you read the remarks section for the RunAs command.  It has several prerequisites for the RunAs  function to be able to execute without an error.

39 minutes ago, jaja714 said:

I was hoping to authenticate locally (domain=@computername) so that I don't have to require being behind the firewall.  Do you think I have to prefix the username with the domain name ("domain\@username") or something?

This depends on whether you need to use a local or domain account.  If you want to see what the @Username macro resolves to, just use a consolewrite or msgbox to view the value.

39 minutes ago, jaja714 said:

I guess I'm not quite sure of the interplay between RunAs and RequireAdmin.

The easiest way to see the difference between using RunAs and #RequireAdmin is to first read the help file and then, if necessary, create a simple script with each and see the difference in how they execute.

Edited by TheXman

Ahah!   logon_flag (p4) must be:

$RUN_LOGON_NETWORK (2) - Network credentials only.

Also, "domain\" prefix is optional, it works with or without it, in my case at least.

$pid = 0
    For $ii = 1 to 4
        ConsoleWrite($ii&@TAB&RunAs(          @UserName, @ComputerName, $sPassword, $ii, @SystemDir & '\calc.exe', @DesktopDir, @SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED)&@CRLF)
        ConsoleWrite($ii&@TAB&RunAs('domain\'&@UserName, @ComputerName, $sPassword, $ii, @SystemDir & '\calc.exe', @DesktopDir, @SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED)&@CRLF)
    Next

Edited by jaja714
network

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this again ... having problems ... here is some test code below:

#RequireAdmin                       ; is this really needed?
#include <AutoItConstants.au3>

$realPass = ''                      ; <== type your real working password here
$x = RunAs(@UserName, @ComputerName, $realPass, $RUN_LOGON_NETWORK, @ComSpec & " /c  echo checking password...", @TempDir, @SW_HIDE)
ConsoleWrite('REAL' & @TAB & @error & @TAB & $x & @CRLF)

$failPass = 'failfailfailfail'      ; this password should fail
$x = RunAs(@UserName, @ComputerName, $failPass, $RUN_LOGON_NETWORK, @ComSpec & " /c  echo checking password...", @TempDir, @SW_HIDE)
ConsoleWrite('FAIL' & @TAB & @error & @TAB & $x & @CRLF)

(a) is #Require Admin really needed?  It is not in the RunAs help.

(b) When I run this, it should FAIL on the second example, but it doesn't.  I get this:

>Running:(3.3.14.5):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3_x64.exe "C:\Tools\AutoIt\test.au3"    
+>Setting Hotkeys...--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
REAL    0   17588
FAIL    0   18700
+>18:49:49 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>18:49:49 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.

For anyone having the same issues, the best solution I could find is this:

#include <Process.au3>

ConsoleWrite('real' & @TAB & _RunDos('net use \\%userdnsdomain% /user:%userdomain%\%username% ' & 'realpass') & @CRLF)  ; type your real working password here
ConsoleWrite('fail' & @TAB & _RunDos('net use \\%userdnsdomain% /user:%userdomain%\%username% ' & 'fAiLpAsS') & @CRLF)  ; this password should fail

Exit

• 3 months later...

Well, now even this doesn't work anymore.  Why is all this a moving target? 

>Running:(3.3.14.5):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3_x64.exe "C:\Users\jeff.x.allen\git\idaa_tools\AutoIt\temp.au3"    
+>Setting Hotkeys...--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
real    2
fail    2
+>10:38:45 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>10:38:45 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.