Running PowerShell CMD from Autoit

DrLarch

I'm trying to run this powershell command from Autoit and can't figure out how to pull it off:

Get-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online | Where-Object { $_.PackageName -match "xbox" } | ForEach-Object { Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online -AllUsers -PackageName $_.PackageName }

I've been trying to run it many different ways including:

$sCMD = 'Get-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online | Where-Object { $_.PackageName -match "xbox" } | ForEach-Object { Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online -AllUsers -PackageName $_.PackageName }'
RunWait(@comspec & ' /c powershell.exe -nologo -executionpolicy bypass -noprofile -Command "&' & $sCMD & '"')

The problem is that it seems I'm missing something in how to escape or double the quotes. I've tried doubling the quotes in many different ways, but the end result always produces a syntax error in powershell. I could just run powershell first, then paste and run the command, then close the powershell window, but that's clunky. I'm trying to do it either via parameter (as above) or in one line like this:

RunWait(@comspec & ' /c powershell.exe -nologo -executionpolicy bypass -noprofile -Command "&Get-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online | Where-Object { $_.PackageName -match "xbox" } | ForEach-Object { Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online -AllUsers -PackageName $_.PackageName }"')

Well I guess I get to answer my own question. I found a hint in this thread regarding changing the double quotes to single and vice versa.

This seems to work:

$sPSCmd = "Get-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online | Where-Object { $_.PackageName -match 'xbox' } | ForEach-Object { Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online -AllUsers -PackageName $_.PackageName }"
RunWait(@comspec & ' /c powershell.exe -nologo -executionpolicy bypass -WindowStyle hidden -noprofile -command "&' & $sPSCmd & '"')

No idea why flopping the quotes on the variable to double and the inner quotes to single fixes this... I swear I've been working for over an hour on this.

Single/double quotes in PowerShell have different rules, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/about/about_quoting_rules?view=powershell-7.1  Cmd also has rules which can conflict with PowerShell command unless escaped, PowerShell commands that have a mix of double/single quotes can be more difficult, usually requires trial and error to get the correct syntax.

Many languages including AutoIt tackle the single/double quotes in strings by starting a string with either a ' or " to handle easier the difference

Predict output of below and you will understand better (although me does't understand the full logical explanation either)

$var1="''''''"
$var2='""""""'
$var3=""""""""
$var4=''''''''
; $var5='"'"'"'"'  ; Interesting edge case  ==> Error in expression
; $var6="'"'"'"'"  ; Interesting edge case  ==> Error in expression

consolewrite("test1: <" & $var1 & ">" & @CRLF)
consolewrite("test2: <" & $var2 & ">" & @CRLF)
consolewrite("test3: <" & $var3 & ">" & @CRLF)
consolewrite("test4: <" & $var4 & ">" & @CRLF)
consolewrite("test5: <" & $var5 & ">" & @CRLF)
consolewrite("test6: <" & $var6 & ">" & @CRLF)

and in powershell the character to escape the quote is the backtic ` opposed to many languages using the / as an escape character.

Edited by junkew
Logic is that 2 "" within the string the " is used as an escape character. So first " starts the string and "" then actually means add 1 "