(Poll) What features do you wish you had in AutoIt?

Feature Poll  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What features do you wish you had in AutoIt? (multiple choice - choose all features that you would like to see)

• Cross-platform support
    • Multi-threading
    • Compiliation to machine or byte code
    • Modular programs (compiled files will only contain required modules like Networking etc. instead of everything)
    • Other (Please mention which by posting)

8 minutes ago, JockoDundee said:

Although, that’s actually not my call :)

And also not my call unfortunately :(

I'll try to make it as modular as possible so that every executable is unique, perhaps don't include networking code at all for programs which don't need it.

Other than that, we all just hope to god (or dog, your choice) that those AV companies don't add generic signature checking to prejudice to the scanning process.

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

2 minutes ago, TheDcoder said:

And also not my call unfortunately :(

I'll try to make it as modular as possible so that every executable is unique, perhaps don't include networking code at all for programs which don't need it.

Other than that, we all just hope to god (or dog, your choice) that those AV companies don't add generic signature checking to prejudice to the scanning process.

I understand the why and the how it happens - I can't understand how they can essentially cripple an entire platform (due to laziness) and there is nothing to be done about it. How difficult would it be to make the available certificate services easier and more accessible? If I sign my apps they can leave me alone...

Just throwing that out there

11 hours ago, Earthshine said:

im out of the thread. I used to use it in our installer distros.

[...] we can't use it because all our clients were complaining about virus stuff all the time, so it's use got voted out. We can still use it to test our GUIs and such and internal use.

I reacted with :'(, because AutoIt had to be voted out as a tool for your distros.

However, it's nice to hear that you only left this particular thread, not the forum in general :).

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

On 10/12/2021 at 3:26 AM, JockoDundee said:

Can you name a commercial Windows GUI app created after the year 2000 that didn’t have MT?

No I can't ... chiefly because I am no good with remembering names ... or numbers.

2000 sounds a bit early to me, so there would still be plenty though that didn't, back then.

I forget when I built my beast of a desktop PC, but alas it was about two years before dual core processors became all the rage, and that PC died not long after, and I had a fantastic setup for AutoIt on that PC, which to this day I have never replicated. AutoIt first became available, scripting only, around 2002 or 2003 I seem to recall. And I was big into doing GUI coding with AutoIt on that PC. I also joined the forum here in 2004, which was probably around a year after I'd started using AutoIt. Initially I'd belonged to some AutoIt group on Yahoo or something, and cancelled it due to email abuse.

Anyway, I reckon you have to add at least 5 years to 2000, maybe a few more. I'll take a stab and say many started supporting MT in around 2006, maybe a bit later. I don't recall any requests for MT at the forum, even in that year.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

13 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

AutoIt is good for quick and easy automation, which is exactly what it's made for.

Correction .... one of the things it is made for. :P 

Was that a deliberate omission because you have such a hard time with GUIs, as you never forget to tell me? :muttley:

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Getting back to the original question... in line complete array declaration... like this:

Local $aArray[5]
$aArray = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

This gets annoying quickly with large arrays. It's so easy to explain, but likely isn't there for a good reason.

All my code provided is Public Domain... but it may not work. ;) Use it, change it, break it, whatever you want.

Spoiler

My Humble Contributions:
Personal Function Documentation - A personal HelpFile for your functions
Acro.au3 UDF - Automating Acrobat Pro
ToDo Finder - Find #ToDo: lines in your scripts
UI-SimpleWrappers UDF - Use UI Automation more Simply-er
KeePass UDF - Automate KeePass, a password manager
InputBoxes - Simple Input boxes for various variable types

1 hour ago, seadoggie01 said:

It's so easy to explain, but likely isn't there for a good reason.

Don't think so, probably no one bothered to implement it due to low demand. This is one of the features that will be included in ECI :)

Edited by TheDcoder

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

ECI is gonna be a real Swiss Army Knife ... just you wait and see.

I've put in a request for a Stapler, as I don't need the Comb. ;)

Spoiler

userbar.png

1 minute ago, TheSaint said:

I've put in a request for a Stapler, as I don't need the Comb. ;)

As in, you're bald and like paper? I don't think I understand this

All my code provided is Public Domain... but it may not work. ;) Use it, change it, break it, whatever you want.

Spoiler

My Humble Contributions:
Personal Function Documentation - A personal HelpFile for your functions
Acro.au3 UDF - Automating Acrobat Pro
ToDo Finder - Find #ToDo: lines in your scripts
UI-SimpleWrappers UDF - Use UI Automation more Simply-er
KeePass UDF - Automate KeePass, a password manager
InputBoxes - Simple Input boxes for various variable types

2 minutes ago, seadoggie01 said:

As in, you're bald and like paper? I don't think I understand this

It's not meant to be understood, just appreciated. ;) 

But in case you were wondering .... yes I would find more use for a stapler, than a comb ... even in this so-called paperless society ... my ass. :) 

P.S. I also need some bloody way to attach the paper pirate hat to my head. :lmao:

Spoiler

userbar.png

I'm also trying to cultivate a staple diet ... which helps with what Musashi just suggested. :muttley:

Spoiler

userbar.png

4 minutes ago, Musashi said:

There is one particular place where every human being would hate to live in a paperless society :lol:.

Oops, have you forgotten about TheDcoder and co?

Or were you heading in a nosy direction instead ... tissue everyone?

And you can't have a proper BBQ without paper towels.

Spoiler

userbar.png