Group elements from mysql query

I want to group elements from a mysql query, but the way I'm thinking of going about it seems inefficient and I'm checking if there is a better way.

I'm querying a table column with skus that have one letter, 1 to 3 digits, a dash (which we'll call the prefix), and then 7 digits. So it can look like A3-0000000, C12-2323323 or J143-7829312. I want to get the count of each of the prefixes (A3, C12, J143, etc.). Let's assume I don't know the prefixes or how many different ones there are.

My thinking on how to do this is:

1/ Query the database and sort all the sku.  (before someone says I should do this all in the query, I have no idea how to do that if it's possible)

2/ loop through the array with a stringsplit to get just the prefixes.

3/ remove the duplicates (this will now be my prefix array).

4/ loop through the original array with the prefix array with an _arraysearch to get the count of the skus with each prefix.

5/ put that count next to the prefix in the prefix array (multi-d array).

Is this the best way to go about this?

A better way? Yes: SQL itself!

Given a table like this:

CREATE TABLE "SKUs"("SKU" CHAR);

loaded with sample data:

SKU
A3-0000000
C12-2323323
J143-7829312
B54-5487451
A3-4875962
C12-1234567
C12-7654321
F40-7894560
A3-7894562
A3-4561238

just run the following query:

select SUBSTR (sku, 1, INSTR (sku, '-') - 1) "Prefix", count(*) "Counter" from skus group by prefix order by prefix;

and you get this:

Prefix    count(*)
A3    4
B54    1
C12    3
F40    1
J143    1

I used SQLite string functions, I've f*ckall idea how they translate into MySQL dialect.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)