RegEx Question on BASE64 certificate string

rudi

Go to solution Solved by jchd,

Hello,

meanwhile I realized, that base64 encoded  certificates never ever will have a "\x0A" within the valid characters forming the certificate information, so it should be safe to simply kick all occurrences showing up between "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- " and "-----END CERTIFICATE-----"

But what I would like to know is, what regex to use to eliminate a certain substring from a given string showing up after 64 characters, repeatedly as often as it might occur?

(?:\\x0a)(.{64})(?:\\x0a) .....

And what would be the appropriate replacement string to give back everything except the "kicked" \xA0 (line feeds)? 

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----\x0AMIIGujCCBaKgAwIBAgITWgAA+jp9Hn80U4lGVwAAAAD6OjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQsF\x0AADBfMRYwFAYKCZImiZPyLGQBGRYGaW50ZXJuMRgwFgYKCZImiZPyLGQBGRYIZ29l\x0A
<snip>
BgEEAYI3FAIDoBgMFm1lY0BhZC5nb2VwZmVydC5pbnRlcm6BFU0uRWNrYXJkdEBn\x0Ab2VwZmVydC5kZTANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQsFAAOCAQEAbEFtOCNryTkAdrzvz7pegQk+\x0A1hnYpAjrrYu4gYf6RhJG/SplYgLwkNk76L2YcYM7gT42J+moe4uV9Q/plmn1IKHM\x0AsFpU0nbddpOqAms8XgreZy6fEZtG2iCjUS76AMK2cqXxOQ2cfts2YAh+EyuGL+8C\x0AelrQihdZ89GHS72lWanSFSddKaS/+vFynK0+lmM+IaoSU83t+UURqOMx130lpGkB\x0AlzxJTi76NA0Nk+/M+YIjjHQJne/Io+mqlhEuv1wINpPQCUNWcg16wpwuH6fi5DMV\x0AXIEi3085i5CIC85AFbMqK5sNdP7C6FAobEUn+89Yb/gO0BhmXexugCvtQNLThQ==\x0A-----END CERTIFICATE-----\x0A

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

• Solution

Can't you just use StringReplace($s, "\x0A", "") ???

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

You probably can do the equivalent of:

Local $s = _
    "blah ... blah" & @LF & _
    "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----\x0A" & _
    "MIIGujCCBaKgAwIBAgITWgAA+jp9Hn80U4lGVwAAAAD6OjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQsF\x0A" & _
    "ADBfMRYwFAYKCZImiZPyLGQBGRYGaW50ZXJuMRgwFgYKCZImiZPyLGQBGRYIZ29l\x0A" & _
    "BgEEAYI3FAIDoBgMFm1lY0BhZC5nb2VwZmVydC5pbnRlcm6BFU0uRWNrYXJkdEBn\x0A" & _
    "b2VwZmVydC5kZTANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQsFAAOCAQEAbEFtOCNryTkAdrzvz7pegQk+\x0A" & _
    "1hnYpAjrrYu4gYf6RhJG/SplYgLwkNk76L2YcYM7gT42J+moe4uV9Q/plmn1IKHM\x0A" & _
    "sFpU0nbddpOqAms8XgreZy6fEZtG2iCjUS76AMK2cqXxOQ2cfts2YAh+EyuGL+8C\x0A" & _
    "elrQihdZ89GHS72lWanSFSddKaS/+vFynK0+lmM+IaoSU83t+UURqOMx130lpGkB\x0A" & _
    "lzxJTi76NA0Nk+/M+YIjjHQJne/Io+mqlhEuv1wINpPQCUNWcg16wpwuH6fi5DMV\x0A" & _
    "XIEi3085i5CIC85AFbMqK5sNdP7C6FAobEUn+89Yb/gO0BhmXexugCvtQNLThQ==\x0A" & _
    "-----END CERTIFICATE-----\x0A" & @LF & _
    "blah ... blah" & @LF

Local $t = StringRegExpReplace($s, "\\x0A", Chr(0x0A))

ConsoleWrite($t)

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

17 hours ago, rudi said:

But what I would like to know is, what regex to use to eliminate a certain substring from a given string showing up after 64 characters, repeatedly as often as it might occur?

The question here is: Do you mean that the substring is already known to you but may only be matched after 64 characters and not when it occurs within the first 64 characters?
Or do you mean that you first want to see which string appears after 64 characters and then replace it accordingly?

The first would be possible in a pattern:

\A.{64}(*SKIP)(*FAIL)|\\x0A

The second, however, rather not.
So you would really have to proceed in two steps here.
So first extract and store in a variable (in nginx I think I used map or set for this) and then reuse this variable in the replacement pattern.

17 hours ago, rudi said:

And what would be the appropriate replacement string to give back everything except the "kicked" \xA0 (line feeds)? 

The replacement string would be easy as jchd showed.
The opposite - just matching what doesn't is \\x0a - is a bit more complicated:

(?s)((?<findnot>\\x0A)(*SKIP)(*FAIL)|(?>.+?(?=\g<findnot>|\Z)))

Edited by AspirinJunkie

@jchd that's what I realized as well: The substring "\x0A" does never show up within the value data of a certificate.

This is a task from a work colleague, this is how he solved it now (without regex).

But the question is still interesting: Is it possible to remove a substring at certain positions (here: all 64 characters) of the given string by regex, if it appears?

The certificate strings to be processed do not all have /x0A = linefeeds in the string.

Tomorrow I'll take a closer look to the suggestion of @AspirinJunkie, thanks for all replies.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!