Selecting value in multi-selection check box

jasontj

Go to solution Solved by Danp2,

Hello.  I am attempting to select a value in a Chrome browser from a check box that allows multiple selections, and also allows searching for values.  This is a list of states, and also different regions in the states.  However, I only want to select the top level state name.  I am currently doing this with XPATH.  First I select the field to drop down the list based on XPATH, and then I select the actual value based on XPATH.  This does not work consistently.   I am certain I've got the XPATHs correct, but sometimes I get this error:

_WD_FindElement ==> Success [0] : Parameters:   Strategy=xpath   Selector=/html/body/div[22]/div[2]/ul/li[100]/div/div[2]   StartNodeID=Default   Multiple=Default   ShadowRoot=Default
__WD_Post ==> Element interaction issue [14] : HTTP status = 400

My question is, is there a way to select this value based on the text name in the list?

Inserted is the HTML and also my code that I am currently using:

<label id="frmSearch:j_idt248" class="ui-outputlabel ui-widget psc-field-label" for="frmSearch:scmRegion">Region</label></div>
<div class="ui-panelgrid-cell ui-grid-col-11 pcl-form-grid-col"><div id="frmSearch:pnlRegion" class="psc-max-width-380" style="width: 100%;">

<div id="frmSearch:scmRegion" class="ui-selectcheckboxmenu-multiple ui-selectcheckboxmenu ui-widget ui-state-default ui-corner-all pcl-selectonemenu" style="width: 280px;" role="combobox" aria-haspopup="listbox" aria-expanded="false">

<div class="ui-helper-hidden-accessible"><input id="frmSearch:scmRegion_focus" name="frmSearch:scmRegion_focus" type="text" readonly="readonly" role="combobox" aria-hidden="true" /></div>

<div class="ui-helper-hidden"><input id="frmSearch:scmRegion:0" name="frmSearch:scmRegion" type="checkbox" value="01" data-escaped="true" />
<label for="frmSearch:scmRegion:11">Alabama</label><input id="frmSearch:scmRegion:12" name="frmSearch:scmRegion" type="checkbox" value="alm" data-escaped="true" />

<label for="frmSearch:scmRegion:12">Alabama Middle</label><input id="frmSearch:scmRegion:13" name="frmSearch:scmRegion" type="checkbox" value="aln" data-escaped="true" />

<label for="frmSearch:scmRegion:13">Alabama Northern</label><input id="frmSearch:scmRegion:14" name="frmSearch:scmRegion" type="checkbox" value="als" data-escaped="true" />

$FedNum = "22"  ; this value is read from a file because the website changes often.. but I won't need this if I can select by name instead

; next 2 lines will drop down the section list
    $sElement = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, "/html/body/div[10]/div/div[3]/form[1]/div[1]/fieldset[2]/div/div/div/div[8]/div[2]/div/div[1]/ul")
    _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $sElement, 'click')        

if $SearchArea = "* FED * - AL (Middle)" Then
        $areaSelected = "12"
    endif
    ; this continues for all 50 states and other areas like PR and Guam.

$areaSelectedPath = "/html/body/div[" & $FedNum & "]/div[2]/ul/li[" & $areaSelected & "]/div/div[2]"
    $sElement = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, $areaSelectedPath)

; next 2 lines will close the selection list
    $sElement = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, "/html/body/div[10]/div/div[3]/form[1]/div[1]/fieldset[2]/div/div/div/div[8]/div[2]/div/div[1]/ul")

image.png.500db99c5faacc21602a7b7b8c11a35f.png

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this issue.

Jason

image.png

You are attempting to automate an advanced control, which appears to be part of the PrimeFaces framework. I haven't delved into it, but they may have APIs that you could use to perform the selection. Otherwise, you could use jQuery selectors.

Hint: it appears to me that you are not clicking on the correct element because the click event is attached to the label element, not the li element

Thanks @Danp2  The element that I get the XPATH from is this:

<div class="ui-chkbox-box ui-widget ui-corner-all ui-state-default"><span class="ui-chkbox-icon ui-icon ui-icon-blank"></span></div>

There is also this element, which I have not attempted anything with:

<li class="ui-selectcheckboxmenu-item ui-selectcheckboxmenu-list-item ui-corner-all ui-selectcheckboxmenu-unchecked" data-item-value="al">

<div class="ui-chkbox ui-widget"><div class="ui-helper-hidden-accessible"><input type="checkbox" id="640b4fba-4758-4780-abd8-292f7be74512"></div><div class="ui-chkbox-box ui-widget ui-corner-all ui-state-default"><span class="ui-chkbox-icon ui-icon ui-icon-blank"></span></div></div><label for="640b4fba-4758-4780-abd8-292f7be74512">Alabama</label></li>

Would either of these help me to select a value by the state name or abbreviation?  This one is "AL" for "Alabama". 

I haven't used jQuery selectors before, but I will research those.

@Danp2, you are the man once again!  That solution worked perfectly.  I cannot thank you enough for your help on this.  It saved me hours or time, and also helped consolidate my code down to just a few lines of code.  I had a few lines for each state, but now I parse off the 2 letters and select the state with 1 line of code for all areas.

Thanks!!!!!!

; line below will select area    
    _WD_ExecuteScript($sSession, "PrimeFaces.getWidgetById('frmSearch:scmRegion').selectValue('" & StringLower($areaSel) & "')")