Questions on Comments and Code in Known Working Code - (Moved)

Good morning.

The following is a script that I've used in the past to read in values from an array to copy files to a specific network folder.  The script is designed to maintain the folder hierarchy of the files that are to be copied.

A regular and knowledgeable user of AutoIT helped me to create this script, and it worked perfectly when it was first run in production.

I recently re-wrote parts of the script to accommodate a new source of files and an updated network location.  I cannot, however, get the script to run.

I am hopeful that someone could take a look at this script and provide feedback as to why it isn't working.  Is a problem with the comments?  Possibly a permissions issue?

Thank you all for your time.

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AutoIt Version: 3.3.16.1

Author:         XXXXX XXXXX
    Script Function:

This script is intended to resend XXXXXXXXXX files to XXXXXXXXXX for ingestion.  The files to be sent are to be retrieved from a .csv file.
#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Begin Code
#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Debug.au3>
Global $aRetArray[1][2]
$sFilePath = "X:\Auto IT\XXXXXXXXXX.csv"
_FileReadToArray($sFilePath, $aRetArray, Default, ",")
;MsgBox(0,"Status","Here's one row" & $aRetArray[1162][1])
_DebugArrayDisplay($aRetArray, "XXXXXXXXXX XX Array")
$start = 1
$max = $aRetArray[0][0]
;$start = 2
;$max = 2
$good = 0
$bad = 0
$missing = 0
For $g = $start To $max
    $findx = FileExists($aRetArray[$g][0])
    If $findx <> 1 Then
        $missing = $missing + 1
        MsgBox(0, "missing", "row: " & $g & "   " & $aRetArray[$g][0])
    Else ; ready to copythrn
        If 0 > 0 Then
            $confirm = FileCopy($aRetArray[$g][0], $aRetArray[$g][1], 9) ; 9 is 1 overwrite and 8 create path
            ;  MsgBox(0,"Status","confirm row: " & $g & "   " & $confirm)
            If $confirm = 1 Then ; 1 mean success
                $good = $good + 1
            Else
                $bad = $bad + 1
            EndIf
        EndIf ; IMPOSS
    EndIf ; findx check
Next
MsgBox(0, "Status: total max = " & $max, "total good = " & $good & @CRLF & "total bad = " & $bad & @CRLF & "total missing: " & $missing)
Exit
FileCopy($aRetArray[1][2], "X:\xxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxx xxxxxx-xxxxxx xxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx\XXXXXXXXXX", 8)

Edited by Jos
added codebox & Tidied source

• Developers

Moved to the appropriate AutoIt General Help and Support forum, as the Developer General Discussion forum very clearly states:

General development and scripting discussions.

Do not create AutoIt-related topics here, use the AutoIt General Help and Support or AutoIt Technical Discussion forums.

Moderation Team

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers
13 minutes ago, kmaxie said:

I recently re-wrote parts of the script to accommodate a new source of files and an updated network location.  I cannot, however, get the script to run.

I am hopeful that someone could take a look at this script and provide feedback as to why it isn't working.  Is a problem with the comments?  Possibly a permissions issue?

Care to share what isn't working and what you have changed, as else we will be stabbing in the dark?  

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Good morning,

My apologies for my delay in responding and my lack of clarity in my original post.

I was tasked to copy files listed in a .csv to a different network-based folder for zipping and transport through (S)FTP.

The files in the .csv are in several, different locations, and copying and pasting them by hand would have taken significant time.

I created the .csv that is to be read into the FILECOPY function.  The .csv contains the original location of the files and their intended destination.

It is important that the copied files have a certain folder hierarchy for continuity purposes.  The intended folder structure (hierarchy) is listed in the second column of the .csv.  The original file locations are in the first column of the .csv.

The script, after I edited, stopped at popping up the array.  It would not copy the files from their source locations to their destinations.

Sorry for posting in the wrong location in this forum.

Thank you for responding, Jos.

No, I would like the script to copy the existing file to a new location.  What is preventing the script, in its current iteration, from doing this?

• Developers

Well you added an if 0>0 then test which i assume you understand will never be true?

So what about you properly review your own code and try to understand what you have coded first?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Okay.  I am willing to do that.

What is the approach to troubleshooting this?  I should also note that I was not the principal architect of this code.  Its original author has departed, and I may not have enough time to figure this out (as much as I'd like to do so).

Is it possible that PowerShell may be more appropriate for the task?

2 hours ago, kmaxie said:

Is it possible that PowerShell may be more appropriate for the task?

You can write it in any language you choose but if you have no idea and have no time, your options are limited to hire some one who already knows how.

I would, if were you, share a chunk of the csv file with some made up data, the original code and what you need changed.
Am sure someone here will write it for you. Just ask.

Edit: by made up data don't mean x\xxx\xxx-xxx !!!

Edited by argumentum
xxxx

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• Developers
9 hours ago, kmaxie said:

What is the approach to troubleshooting this?

Did you actually understand the comments I made about the "if" never being true, so hence never running that portion of code? 
So start explaining why it is there!

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Good evening.

I hope all is well.

I am hugely appreciative of all your feedback, Jos.  I was able to solve my issue with PowerShell.  I will be checking in periodically because my organization regularly uses AutoIt.  Again, thank you for your assistance.

K..