Chinese vs. Chinese

Go to solution Solved by guaikahenguai,

Posted (edited)

Can Chinese (Simplified) be categorized the same as Chinese (Traditional) because it's Chinese ?

I read that one is used in China while the other in Taiwan but if you were to write software and need to identify globally if is Chinese or not, would that be enough ?

In Spanish there are a bunch of classifications but any Spanish speaker can understand each others writing. Can that be said of Chinese ?

Then there is zh-Latn ( "dào shān xué hǎi" ) that I haven't seen in the windows APIs.

Thanks

Edited by argumentum
more

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

how unique many characters does Chinese have?

That is why the Great Compendium of Chinese Characters has 54,678 characters, the Dictionary of Chinese Variant Form has 106,230 characters, and a modern dictionary has up to 20,000 characters. All Chinese characters are logograms or logographs; that is, they each represent words.

how unique many characters does simplified Chinese have?

In August 2009, China began collecting public comments for a revised list of simplified characters; the resulting Table of General Standard Chinese Characters lists 8,105 characters, including a few revised forms, and was implemented for official use by China's State Council on 5 June 2013.

good luck.

14 minutes ago, Somerset said:

good luck

Nah. I'm putting together a new page for @KBLayout, @MUILang, @OSLang and had excluded languages with strong variations ( Traditional vs Simplified or Cyrillic vs Latin, etc. ) but I decided to add an asterisks (*) next to the language because after all, it is that language, and is better to have an answer, than just return "other" because  the example is for the language group alone.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• Solution
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, argumentum said:

In Spanish there are a bunch of classifications but any Spanish speaker can understand each others writing. Can that be said of Chinese ?

Yes, there is no reading barrier between Chinese(Simplified) and Chinese(Traditional). 

Except for the different fonts and the different usage of some phrases, it is still understandable.

Edited by guaikahenguai

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, argumentum said:

Then there is zh-Latn ( "dào shān xué hǎi" ) that I haven't seen in the windows APIs.

zh-Latn ( "dào shān xué hǎi" ) is Chinese phonetic alphabets,Chinese Pinyin

"It is used to teach Standard Chinese, normally written with Chinese characters, to students already familiar with the Latin alphabet."

Only for learning Chinese.

Example1:

"dào shān xué hǎi"

Chinese(Simplified):刀山血海

Chinese(Traditional):刀山血海

Example2:

zhōng huá rén mín gòng hé guó

Chinese(Simplified):中华人民共和国

Chinese(Traditional):中華人民共和國

Example3:

My name:guài kā hěn guài

Chinese(Simplified):怪咖很怪

Chinese(Traditional):怪咖很怪

Edited by guaikahenguai

13 hours ago, argumentum said:

Nah. I'm putting together a new page for @KBLayout, @MUILang, @OSLang and had excluded languages with strong variations ( Traditional vs Simplified or Cyrillic vs Latin, etc. ) but I decided to add an asterisks (*) next to the language because after all, it is that language, and is better to have an answer, than just return "other" because  the example is for the language group alone.

Chinese(Simplified) OS:

zh-cn.thumb.jpg.c35ed02a1bece588ce9128fbfa157431.jpg

Chinese(Traditional) OS:

zh-tw.thumb.jpg.e5570e92c370253c32908f0a6c97423b.jpg