Can you update the bios version before the OS loads?

We've been using alot of Autoit latley to configure are image for the Dell computers for our school district. My question is, can you have a script check the bios version of the computer. If its not the right version when the machine is booting up before it even starts the OS, use Dell's updating tool which is an .exe, have it run it. When it has successfully updated the bios have it do a restart then start loading the image that was created for that machine. We are using Zenworks, if anyone is familiar with Zenworks that would be great, I think I might be able to tell the machines that theres work waiting for them, but if the ones that have the right bios, is there a way to speed up things to where if it is the right bios dont run the script to save time on the pre imaging process. These dell machines do have PXE and wake on lan capabilities they are Dell GX520 computers.

We've been using alot of Autoit latley to configure are image for the Dell computers for our school district. My question is, can you have a script check the bios version of the computer. If its not the right version when the machine is booting up before it even starts the OS, use Dell's updating tool which is an .exe, have it run it. When it has successfully updated the bios have it do a restart then start loading the image that was created for that machine. We are using Zenworks, if anyone is familiar with Zenworks that would be great, I think I might be able to tell the machines that theres work waiting for them, but if the ones that have the right bios, is there a way to speed up things to where if it is the right bios dont run the script to save time on the pre imaging process. These dell machines do have PXE and wake on lan capabilities they are Dell GX520 computers.

Hey we use the GX620 at my disctict (simmilar im sure) but about your question...

Can it detect what the bios version is?- Possibly, there are often registry settings HKLM/Hardware branch that contian such information (WMI might have this also) but as for restarting and loading an update before the OS laods thats probably not possible with autoit becuase most of it's comamnds are WIN32 API or dependent upon them so they need window to work.

Is bumpin this post legal sure made its way to the bottom real quick after 15 minutes of posting.

Found this online..

A. When Windows starts, the OS loads information about the main computer BIOS and video BIOS and stores the following information under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System registry subkey:

* SystemBiosDate

* SystemBiosVersion

* VideoBiosDate

* VideoBiosVersion

On my Dell latitude laptop the SystemBiosVersion key value =

"DELL - 27d3051d Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05". That does seem useful.

The company that I work for use Dell computers, I create ths vbs script that will give you the basic computer information like Computer model, service tag, BIOS version, etc... May be some body can convert to AutoIt script.

I couldn't add it as vbs so when download it don't forget to renamed to SysInfo.vbs

Edited by Danny35d
AutoIt Scripts:NetPrinter - Network Printer UtilityRobocopyGUI - GUI interface for M$ robocopy command line

Those are some good suggestions but again im needing to update the bios before an OS even loads, Im using Zenworks, if anyone is familiar with that you can have work waiting for a machine to do up on a server and can execute it before anything loads useing PXE boot. For instance we can tell a computer on next boot to start imaging it with the image I specify. So ... the solution cant have anything to do with anything that starts at the OS level, it must start before the OS.

I tryed updating the BIOS on an old computer, in the middle of it a message appeared:

"Fatal system error, please restart you computer and try again."

I did and my computer didn't even turn on! Good thing it was an old one!

http://www.autoitking.co.nr Site is DOWN | My deviantART | No Topic Topic - Don't do it!-------------------- UDF's/Scripts:AutoIt: [BenEditor 3.6] [_ShutDown()]PHP: [CommentScript]Web Based AutoIt: [MemStats] [HTML to AU3] [User LogIn and SignUp script]

It's possible to view the Bios version after Windows starts, but using AutoIt to update the Bios is probably not possible. You have to flash the Bios from the Dos prompt, and this must be done before Windows loads. AutoIt will not run outside of Windows. Your best bet will be to create a Bios flashing startup disk, but AutoIt isn't going to work for that.

Maybe you could make a script to determine if the Bios is not the correct version after starting windows, then have the script restart in MS-Dos mode. Then the user will need to insert the startup disk. Or, you could have the Bios startup disk info on the C:\ drive and extract it from MS-Dos, but you wouldn't be able to use AutoIt for that either. Just a couple of ideas.

If any of this information is incorrect, feel free to correct me. :D

Nomad :D

Those are some good suggestions but again im needing to update the bios before an OS even loads

@Dan25 There is any reason why you cannot updated the BIOS after the OS is install. The reason that I ask is because you can have your process to load the image need it for that computer, install all the applications and as a last process have AutoIt script to check BIOS version and run the BIOS update if is need it.
AutoIt Scripts:NetPrinter - Network Printer UtilityRobocopyGUI - GUI interface for M$ robocopy command line