UNIQUE STRING GENERATOR

cppman

"You're quite the idiot, aren't you? You infer a lot, assume a lot and know very little about a subject you're attempting to argue about. Why don't you piss off?"

First of all. Why the hell would you make an assumption that he knows very little about the subject he is "trying" to argue about? oooh, i get it. Thats the new way we welcome people to the autoit forums. Sorry, i did'nt know that.

Another thing. Microsoft's GUID contains dashes/hyphens. Mine does not. That will definately make a difference, on whether mine will generate the same string as theres. So that argument should be done with.

Now thirdly, if you've seen the string my guid generator GENERATES, then im sure you can tell that it is not. Im sure you can imply from my quote, "It generates a string around 38 characters(it will not always be 38)". That right there should give it away instanty that it is not a Microsoft GUID.

"The OSF-specified algorithm used by Microsoft for generating new GUIDs has been widely criticized. In these (V1) GUIDs, the user's network card MAC address was used as a base for the last group of GUID digits, which meant, for example, that a document could be tracked back to the computer that created it. This privacy hole was used when locating the creator of the Melissa worm.

V1 GUIDs which contain a MAC address can be identified by the digit "1" in the first position of the third group of digits, for example {2f1e4fc0-81fd-11da-9156-00036a0f876a}. GUIDs using the later algorithm, which has a random suffix have a "4" in the same position, for example {38a52be4-9352-453e-af97-5c3b448652f0}."

Another thing,

Why would someone need something in the first place if they don't know what it does? or how to use it for that matter? thats pointless.

And my globally unique identifier does, generate a globally unique id.

im done arguing. I can't change the title of the post, so there is nothing more i can do.

I agree that it may be of confusion to people, but, what my code does is fulfils the description of a globally unique identifier. and nothin more, nothing less.

later.

@manadar > who? lol

--- im done arguing --- if people want to use my globally unique identifier generator, fine. if not, thats fine tooo.

Edited by CHRIS95219

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Valik you think your so smart don't you? Well if your so smart than why you been using AutoIt for few years? I am seriusly if you are as smart as you infere than learn a real a language. I ain't no programing pro, I'm just a 16 year old kid. But the big part about me is, I started programming just a little under 2 years ago. I started with C++ as my first language and I got the basics down in a few days (school got in way would have been faster). All the C++ pros were amazed at how fast and good I learned it. After a while of C++, PHP, and other such languages I tried C# out. And now I mastered both C++ and C# with other languages as well.

Well all in all I am a very skilled programer and very inteligent. And that is purely going by what my peers say, including the pros who have REAL programing experience and REAL jobs in programming. Well enough of my life story time to teach you a little lesson Valik.

If your so smart than why not peacefully correct these nice people's mistakes? Why are you so rude and stupid (and being a dumbass) about all of this. The pros were never this way to me even when I was a complete noob who one night randomly decided to learn computer programming (wich by the way I knew just enough to use my computer). My bet is your a 10 year old kid who used google to look up all the information you gave.

Now think about what a GUID is and what a GUID is used for. If you don't know what there used for these are some examples: Managed Programs, DirectX (input, dplay, etc). The list goes on and on all the way till custom uses. Now lets think of the garantee Microsoft gives on these. If I remember correctly (wich I'm sure I do) it goe somthing like this: "A GUID is a randomly generated ID. There will be no other GUID that is exactly the same any were in the world." Now lets expand on that: "There will be no 2 same GUID's in the life time of GUID's. The one expeption is if you purposely set up the enviroment to create 2 of the same GUID's". There does that sound more accurate? Good.

Now how about a home made algo hmm? Is it possible that that the algo my friend Chris made and the algo Microsoft uses could at some point intersect and create 2 of the same? Well yes that is very entirely possible. So now with that said is it possible that these GUIDS will be unique to them selves (not counting microsofts GUID's)? Absolutly! Now lets think of the purpose of these home brued GUIDs. There purpose is to have control over how the GUID is made, as long as you don't use this for crucial things such as directx or that you will be fine. They would be good for IDing people or the such were a GUID is needed to ID someone.

Now lets think about what this argument is about. First it was about the uniquness of the GUID, I belive I settled that argument. Than I read somthing about the name, well I covered that as well. Well sadly I didn't read all the posts, I don't have time but I think I solved this argument for now.

Oh ya a few more things, Microsoft did NOT patent the GUID so the standards are not and will not be enforced. And Second I do NOT use AutoIt, I do not intend to ever use it. I perfer C# wich is a real language that you can get a real job in and it gives alot more control sence it is a real language. If you have any other questions ask Chris, I will never use these forums again otherwise, I just don't like to see dumbasses pretend there "real" programmers (Valik).

Disclaimer: This post is aimed at and intended to make Valik look like a dumbass. There may be spelling errors or other errors of the sort, I am not a good speller and that is that.

Edited by Rune Hunter

Normally I don't get interfer in these pissing contests, but if your going to talk about something/someone then you need to check the depth of the water before jumping in head first.

Meaing research first.

Do you know what language AutoIt is written in?

Do you know Valik's role in the above?

As a "real world" programmer (since before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye) I know what I'm talking about.

I've forgotten more in C#/C++ then you'll probably ever learn.

If you decide to question my credentials, just check out the Home Page (where I work) in my personal information.

AutoIt is a hobby for me, but I take any programming very seriously hobby or not.

That being said I know Valik knows what he's talking about.

My 2 cents worth.

Gary

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Hey Guys cool off...

Chris maybe u could have used some name like mine as uniqueid generator...instead of GUID.... :D.. anyways its your wish...but excellent work.. i am using it right now...

Valik maybe u must take an Anger Management course or maybe scrapping is a technique to release ur anger (part of therapy?)...Please dont start shouting at me...i just watched Adam Sandlers Anger Management and couldnt stop laughing..... :wacko:

Goosfraba

-Bala

Edited by Balachander K

A real programmer does not get mad when someone is wrong. Maybe he is to you but a real programer does not get mad when correcting someone. You'll never get a job that way, you won't get far in life, and your not gonna make any good friends that way. I'm a real programmer cause I don't yell at people when there wrong, I correct them in an orderly fashion. I teach people C++/C# and everyone says I am very nice when doing that and very good. So maybe you should rethink your definition of a real programmer, cause I don't want to be accociated with people like that. I know my previus post wasn't to nice but he was the person who wasn't nice first, you have to keep people in line by being mean somtimes.

To me personaly it isn't how much you know, but how you use your knowlege.

I'm not sure how many of you actaully even read my whole post but it's up to you now. This is just like Game Maker wich I left and found I was much better off leaving it, you'll all learn that some day to.

"but if your going to talk about something/someone"

hmm... im not trying to argue.....

but.. its okay for valik to call people an idiot? especially someone that is new to the AutoIt forums? but nobody is aloud to say something back to him, in this case, someone called him a dumbass.(lol).

i find that very frustrating. People say things, and don't expect anyone to say anything back. I cannot stand that at all!

@BalachanderK -

lmao!, i can't stop laughing.. thats hilarious. "Please dont start shouting at me". btw, thats a FUNNY FUNNY movie! :D

Im not going to argue(until another chance for it to startup, and for me to defend myself comes up).

@RuneHunter -

Yes. I Agree. You have helped me out ALOT! with c++, c#, and just the computer in general, and very kindly answered any questions i had... ty :wacko:

@Valik -

"You're quite the idiot, aren't you? You infer a lot, assume a lot and know very little about a subject you're attempting to argue about. Why don't you piss off?" wow. Did that build up your self esteem? How much more rude can you make that sentence? Is it possible for you to "EVER" be slightly more polite and respectful? mabye, "um.. do you know what ur talking about?" pherhaps?

------

Edited by CHRIS95219

Wow valic,

We're a bit hypocritical here aren't we?

"You assume..." Isn't that exactly what your doing?

And, if telling me to "piss off." Is the way you show how good these standards are... I think you need to hit the little x icon and go read some books.

BLaters,

~~TheCreator~~

I think we all agree that its not Microsoft's way of doing things. The main reason I think why there are so many problems, is bebecause of the arogant little ass, who has to complain about every script posted. You put up a script, and he sends out an ISO standard that you didn't conform with. You post a topic, and he runs it through a grammar check, and starts yelling about that. I think Valic is just a poor lonely sole, who has to much time on his hands, and has found a really annoying way to occupy it.

Laters,

~~TheCreator~~

Wow looks like valic just got his ass handed to him, all-in-one. Nice going! BTW, sorry for the post in the middle. jaws isn't reading the forms properly. But, its still ther. :-)q

So Valik you think your so smart don't you? Well if your so smart than why you been using AutoIt for few years? I am seriusly if you are as smart as you infere than learn a real a language. I ain't no programing pro, I'm just a 16 year old kid. But the big part about me is, I started programming just a little under 2 years ago. I started with C++ as my first language and I got the basics down in a few days (school got in way would have been faster). All the C++ pros were amazed at how fast and good I learned it. After a while of C++, PHP, and other such languages I tried C# out. And now I mastered both C++ and C# with other languages as well.

Well all in all I am a very skilled programer and very inteligent. And that is purely going by what my peers say, including the pros who have REAL programing experience and REAL jobs in programming. Well enough of my life story time to teach you a little lesson Valik.

If your so smart than why not peacefully correct these nice people's mistakes? Why are you so rude and stupid (and being a dumbass) about all of this. The pros were never this way to me even when I was a complete noob who one night randomly decided to learn computer programming (wich by the way I knew just enough to use my computer). My bet is your a 10 year old kid who used google to look up all the information you gave.

Now think about what a GUID is and what a GUID is used for. If you don't know what there used for these are some examples: Managed Programs, DirectX (input, dplay, etc). The list goes on and on all the way till custom uses. Now lets think of the garantee Microsoft gives on these. If I remember correctly (wich I'm sure I do) it goe somthing like this: "A GUID is a randomly generated ID. There will be no other GUID that is exactly the same any were in the world." Now lets expand on that: "There will be no 2 same GUID's in the life time of GUID's. The one expeption is if you purposely set up the enviroment to create 2 of the same GUID's". There does that sound more accurate? Good.

Now how about a home made algo hmm? Is it possible that that the algo my friend Chris made and the algo Microsoft uses could at some point intersect and create 2 of the same? Well yes that is very entirely possible. So now with that said is it possible that these GUIDS will be unique to them selves (not counting microsofts GUID's)? Absolutly! Now lets think of the purpose of these home brued GUIDs. There purpose is to have control over how the GUID is made, as long as you don't use this for crucial things such as directx or that you will be fine. They would be good for IDing people or the such were a GUID is needed to ID someone.

Now lets think about what this argument is about. First it was about the uniquness of the GUID, I belive I settled that argument. Than I read somthing about the name, well I covered that as well. Well sadly I didn't read all the posts, I don't have time but I think I solved this argument for now.

Oh ya a few more things, Microsoft did NOT patent the GUID so the standards are not and will not be enforced. And Second I do NOT use AutoIt, I do not intend to ever use it. I perfer C# wich is a real language that you can get a real job in and it gives alot more control sence it is a real language. If you have any other questions ask Chris, I will never use these forums again otherwise, I just don't like to see dumbasses pretend there "real" programmers (Valik).

Disclaimer: This post is aimed at and intended to make Valik look like a dumbass. There may be spelling errors or other errors of the sort, I am not a good speller and that is that.

:D

but.. its okay for valik to call people an idiot? especially someone that is new to the AutoIt forums?

No, it's completely rude.

However, there's no reason for anyone to continue to perpetuate the flame-fest.

-S

(Yet Another) ExcelCOM UDF"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly...[indent]...specialization is for insects." - R. A. Heinlein[/indent]

Wow, so much to respond to. First, I find it quite hilarious that most of you think that I'm an angry individual. You people don't make me angry, you make me laugh. You're a hilarious lot of buffoons for the most part.

st8amnd, do you want to know why I think you're an idiot? It's really quite simple. You've (now) went on multiple rants about standards. That's fine. You don't like standards, gotcha. Save it for when it matters. Nowhere, I repeat, nowhere did I say this should be converted into a GUID generator outputting the same format as what people will expect (The format Microsoft uses). So your ranting and raving about standards are pointless. Neither have I even questioned the validity or usefulness of the code in this post. What I have stated is that it has the wrong name. It does not generate GUIDs like the title/description says, it generates a guid. As I've explained before, there is a difference between an adjective and a noun. The fact that you've failed to distinguish the difference between me stating this code should conform to a standard and me actually stating the name should be changed to not be misleading convinces me you are an idiot. The other, minor part of that is you stuck your nose into a discussion that has no effect on you.

CHRIS95219, I suggest you learn to keep your word-hole shut if I'm not directly antagonizing you. I've very patiently (for me) tried to get you to see that you named your script in an extremely mis-leading way. Now you, like so many other before you, are throwing around words like "rude" and "respect". Haven't you figured out by now, those words mean nothing to me. Even worse, I wasn't berating you to begin with.

Also, to address one of your questions: Who will use a GUID but not know what it is? Lots of people. Anybody new learning COM will not understand what GUID/UUID/CLSID's are for a little while.

And to address one other comment: Is it okay for me to call people an idiot? Well, that's a subjective question. That's my opinion on the individual. I had to listen to their worthless opinion on standards, they can listen to my worthless opinion on them.

Rune Hunter, Gary did a sufficient job of making you look the fool so I won't linger on my programming experience. What I will state is that you, like st8amnd, have went on a pointless rant. Who cares about Microsoft's algorithm? Why do you feel compelled to lecture the obvious and explain what this stuff is? I never said CHRIS95219 should change his algorithm or that he should use Microsoft's. I said he should call his algorithm something else because the name he chose has a distinct definition in programming circles.

By the way, would any of you mind going on your rants about "rude" and "respect" to all the people who are calling me names? Or is it more fun to be hypocritical about it and only take offense to people being called names when those names aren't directed at the asshole you don't like?

• Moderators

I think a grave mistake was made when an assumption was made that a GUID must be a simple reproducable notion. A GUID is an important foundational mechanism that requires an adherance to standards.

If I created an AK-47 and sold it to the army, only for them to find out that it shoots jelly beans... holy shit, the hell to pay.

Lar.

[HiJack]Sad to think/know that they would have bought that AK-47 without trying it out first :D [/HiJack]

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I think a grave mistake was made when an assumption was made that a GUID must be a simple reproducable notion. A GUID is an important foundational mechanism that requires an adherance to standards.

If I created an AK-47 and sold it to the army, only for them to find out that it shoots jelly beans... holy shit, the hell to pay.

Lar.

um.. sorry to burst ur bubble, but take my algorithm, and tell me it does'nt do what i said it does. Tell me it is not globally unique within itself? thus said, that remark you said does not fit into this situation. @valik > keep my word hole shut if your not directly antagonizing me? um.., excuse me, but i defend my friends. as such, u'd probably defend your mother if i was to talk about her. (im not, im using that as an example).

---will reply to everyone elses replies later, while i was reading valiks long post the power went out, and im on a laptop with little juice. (evil valik. lmao, jk...)

Edited by CHRIS95219

Valik - "Rune Hunter, Gary did a sufficient job of making you look the fool so I won't linger on my programming experience. What I will state is that you, like st8amnd, have went on a pointless rant. Who cares about Microsoft's algorithm? Why do you feel compelled to lecture the obvious and explain what this stuff is? I never said CHRIS95219 should change his algorithm or that he should use Microsoft's. I said he should call his algorithm something else because the name he chose has a distinct definition in programming circles."

Reread my post. I explained this to you so you don't get confused again, it's my way of helping you.

Edit: I knew you wouldn't read my whole post, or at least read it carefully.

Edited by Rune Hunter

Are your friend incapable of defending themselves? If I were to defend my mother, it would be because she is unable to since she does not read this forum. If my mother were present to defend herself, then the onus would fall on her to do such. As I understand it, one or more of these individuals I am directly conversing with are the aforementioned friends being defended. Therefore, they are readily available to defend themselves. That is, unless you, too, think they are incapable of doing that and as such require your help.

I think Larry is right. There is a Jelly Bean Finder for getting Windows passwords. Perhaps rename this Topic title to Jelly Bean Generator.

I think the Army should buy AK-47 that fires jelly beans as they are cheaper but still hurt when shot.

Are your friend incapable of defending themselves? If I were to defend my mother, it would be because she is unable to since she does not read this forum. If my mother were present to defend herself, then the onus would fall on her to do such. As I understand it, one or more of these individuals I am directly conversing with are the aforementioned friends being defended. Therefore, they are readily available to defend themselves. That is, unless you, too, think they are incapable of doing that and as such require your help.

~powers back on :D

anyways,

okay, well, i dunno bout u but where and how i grew up, i've learned to stick together with my friends, and defend them when called shit... If they defend them selves too thats fine. if not, thats fine too. but, i like to defend them, either way. and i HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt if your mom was in here, and i said something about her, you WOULD NOT (not) try to defend her, regardless if she is capable.

okay... once again.. lets go over what a GUID is. Globally Unique Identifier. Don't go into detail just a yes or no answer, does my algorithm fulfill that description? My "unique string generator" does just that, regardless if it complies with microsoft's algorithms. If i wanted to use ms's i would have researched how and done that.

and like Rune Hunter said, a GUID is not patented by Microsoft. They do not have ownership but of there own algo...

:wacko:

but to get everyone to stop pms'ing on me, imma change the "Globally Unique Indentifier" to "globally unique identifier" LMAO!.... . pffft.

Edited by CHRIS95219

Okay seriusly stop changing the subject, obviusly alot of people don't like you.