Drive Lock

erifash

I feel that locking on restart is rather dangerous... I think ther neeeds to bee a password on restart or something... I mean, you could potentially be locked out of your computer forever.

well there is always safemode. :P

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any security-conscious computer owner has passwords on all their accounts, including Administrator. Wouldn't that be the same as locking on restart?

Edited by erifash

Sorry for the double post. I have updated the program with a gui that will recieve input if any input even manages to get in. Check the first post.

Any security-conscious computer owner has passwords on all their accounts, including Administrator. Wouldn't that be the same as locking on restart?

yes. indubitably. however, if the password is known, the computer would lock anyway.

EDIT: I like the input edit to the original script. Classy.

Edited by orange

so if i am correct, then all you do is compile it and store it on something that is removeable such as a usb? so if you safe the compiled script in your mp3 player folder and run it and pull it out of the computer its locked.....? :P

[s]Autoit[/s]

so if i am correct, then all you do is compile it and store it on something that is removeable such as a usb? so if you safe the compiled script in your mp3 player folder and run it and pull it out of the computer its locked.....? :P

Yuppers. :nuke:

Actually, you don't even need to compile it.

Copy -> Run -> Remove

EDIT: Small update. Only one line.

Edited by erifash

:P if you think this way, then does how this program differ from screensaver+password or normal Windows lock then?!!

:P if you think this way, then does how this program differ from screensaver+password or normal Windows lock then?!!

because this is a "drive lock" as the title says. This means that when a drive is removed the computer locks.

There is no such feature built into windows, and, thus, an autoit program fills the void.

It is a level of security, not a solution. If you want complete computer security then you should turn off the comptuer. there is no unhackable security for windows besides that. period.

and here is an idea to improve that. add the line:

if _ispressed(....whatever key you want....) then send("{Lwin} + {L}")

right before the locking while loop. that would allow you to lock the computer with the windows locking when you hold down a key AND eject.

That would take care of a lot of problems people have with this concept. One more step to foolproof security.

UPDATE ON MY PROGRESS: besides disabling the keyboard and mouse I am working on disabling Remote Desktop access, disabling network adapters, disabling the cdtray, minimizing all windows, and pausing any media that is playing.

Will update, but for the mean time I am in the prcess of moving back to Ohio, so I dont really have time much to do this.

It is a level of security, not a solution. If you want complete computer security then you should turn off the comptuer. there is no unhackable security for windows besides that. period.

I beg to differ with this one... You could always hibernate, or standby, and it's just as hack proof. Then there's unplugging your router or modem :P.

- Dan [Website]

@orange: If you lock the computer right before the lock loop doesn't windows pause all your programs?

@dandymcgee: I would use this at school if I am working on a project and I don't want my friends to screw around with my computer while still being logged on. There is a way to get past the "locked workstation" screen on those computers. I know that people could use this at work for the same purpose. Walk away to grab some coffee while still synching your email. :nuke:

Coffee sounds good right about now. :P

Edited by erifash

@orange: If you lock the computer right before the lock loop doesn't windows pause all your programs?

yeah. I suppose you are right. I dont have time to test that theory right now, so I am going to take it on faith that it would work if the line was put Just after the locking loop, meaning that just before the computer was unlocked it would use the windows locking mechanism. But by all means I am not going to put it there, it is a pain in the ass for me to log in and log out every time I want to keep someone from seeing or messing with what I am doing.

Frankly I could care less about this perception that this program needs to be unhackable or unbreakeable. I am just using this so that the guys in my frat house dont put unwanted files/backgrounds on my computer.

And let me tell you, the guys and girls that I am keeping from my computer are not of the computer savvy variety.

Suitable computer security against this demographic would be a sheet over the moniter, but I dont have a sheet, so this program will have to do.

@erifash: Personally, I didn't know there was a "work around" to the locked station screen, so sorry about that one :nuke:. Anyways I do understand why this computer lock program is useful, and if i get myself one of those usb things i'll definately use it instead of screensaver lock. Then again, I like my Math Magic screen saver :P Either way this program is nice!

- Dan [Website]

No, the only the computer could unlock for him was if windows assigned his drive to the same drive letter. Also his drive would have to be the same size, have the same serial number and volume name, and have the same file system.

Take a look at the _DriveInfo() function. That is what it checks for.

EDIT: I have updated the code. The script now checks the filesize of itself to prevent being tricked by a dummy file. See the first post.

Sweet, very nicely done. Ok, one last request. Is there anyway to hide the autoit icon in the bottom right corner of the screen (by the clock). I relieze you would need to open the task manager to close the program but it would be nice to hide this icon so there is no warning it is running.

I keep it in the tray because I want to know if it is running and I can easily exit when it's unlocked. You can add a #NoTrayIcon at the top if you want though.

this is a very nice tool, but how to run it on your computer and checks if a device is connected or not instead of putting the script on the device so i could check for example if my usb-mouse is connected :P?

EDIT

hmms my second monitor starts flickering (on-off) if i hold any key on my keyboard. the only thing i can say is that i know that my secondary monitor loads faster then my primary monitor... lol

becouse of loop i think and pressing a key activates the monitor?. on off on off on off..... untill i release the key

there most be a way to disable the keyboard?

BlockInput(1) not working for me?

(i use windows media center)

Edited by Dellairion

I had hoped to have solved that problem by constantly turning off the monitor. The monitor will turn on if you press a key regardless of if you use BlockInput(1). Coupled with the fast power-on of your monitors this will cause flickering. Try removing the sleep in the lock loop (at the expense of your cpu). The monitors on both my PCs switch on slow.