Disable Shutdown

sir

I have write the program that turn the monitor off/on. While the monitor is off, I want to disable the shutdown button. Can any one help me?

Hi,

okay you can switch the monitor off, and then? Which shutdown button? The cold reset button? :P:nuke::)

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

HI,

I don't think that this is possible. If you hold the reset buttona few seconds, the pc will automatically shutdown.

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Yes. but I just want to disable in the case that push with no holding. That means to disable shutdown function of Windows.

Take the case off and unplug the button, but then to turn on/off you computer with it, you have to get in your case

my freind did this with his because his button didn't need to be held down, so it would get bumped accedentally and the cpu would shut off so he unpluged it and had to plug it in again to turn it on/of

EDIT:

You can't disable the shutdown itself, thats not part of windows, its part of your PC if you want to prevent shutdown, just unplug the button

Edited by Paulie

It may be possible but you'd be basialy doing the equivalent of stoping a shutdown if you went Start>Shutdown...

Some applications hook the 'endproccess' command that windows sends to all applications when it shuts down and reroutes it to keep the system alive or do some other purpose.

Like try opening a MSword document and typing somthing but not saving it, then shuting down windows...it will sort of pause the shutdown of windows until you answer words closing question about if you want to save the file or not. evetually it will say 'process not respoding" for word and close it anyways but thats about 5-10 seconds you could have code running to try and prevent the shutdown.

This is all just theotical of course, i'd have an idea how to get started writing somthign like this in C# (probly not finish it though^^) but i don't know how i would do this in auto it...

Edited by evilertoaster

I think it is possible because, in XP, Control Panel>Power Option>Advanced Tab>combobox when I press....

Here I can set it to "Do Nothing"

Yes this prevents the fact that a simple push on the button will shutdown, but holding it for 10 seconds will always work

Yes this prevents the fact that a simple push on the button will shutdown, but holding it for 10 seconds will always work

Yes! Just disable simple push (no hold) is just the one i need.

Yes! Just disable simple push (no hold) is just the one i need.

Are you trying to fake a shutdown?

moniter goes off, and all

and when someone tries to turn it back on with the button, it does nothing

:P