Running SciTE as a different user

j'tje

On my Win XP workstation I installed AutoIT and SciTE4AutoIt3 with an administrative account. Running Scite with that account works fine. But when I run SciTE as a different user (without having administrative privileges) than SciTE does't recognize au3-files so Intellisense, Coloring etcetera does'nt work.

I already copied the abbrev.properties from the administrative account profile folder to the other users profile folder. Also I tried regmon and filemon to see if any errors occur. And I already gave the restricted user change-priviliges to the C:\Program Files\AutoIt3 folder. So far I haven't been able to find out why it is going wrong. Does anyone have a clue?

I attached a document with to printscreens showing the difference.

Greetings,

Jürgen van Veldhoven

Netherlands

Scite.doc

If you have gone through the reinstall-process with the installer (I still work with 3.2.0.1), you could give your account / the target-account admin-rights, install with that account, remove 'em and see what's happening.

At least that's what we do here if someone uses microsoft office and wanted to use some additional plugins... :) Works fine for us.

Solution: gebruik het op je administrator accountje.

Ja, dat had ik zelf ook kunnen verzinnen. Ik wilde juist weten waarom het onder een restricted account niet werkt.

De oplossing heb ik inmiddels zelf gevonden. Het was toch een rechten-probleem. Na installatie wordt inheritance uitgezet. Ik had het restricted account change-rechten gegeven op de AutoIt3-folder, maar dieper in de boom komen die rechten dus niet meer door, omdat inheritance uitstaat. Rechten opnieuw doorgekopieerd vanaf AutoIt3 en gaan met die banaan.

If you have gone through the reinstall-process with the installer (I still work with 3.2.0.1), you could give your account / the target-account admin-rights, install with that account, remove 'em and see what's happening.

At least that's what we do here if someone uses microsoft office and wanted to use some additional plugins... :) Works fine for us.

Thanks but I already found the solution. Block Inheritance is enabled on the sub-folders of the AutoIT3-folder. Therefor giving the restricted user change-rights on the AutoIT3 folder did not work. I also had to copy the rights down through the complete folder structure and then it workes.

Here's what I did:

1st: I removed Scite and AutoIt

2nd: With admin account installed AutoIt then Scite to My regular account user profile document folder

Now my normal account uses both with no problem, and don't have to change any user rights on folder.

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

• Developers

@JdeB

I also noticed this problem running SciTE as a different user. Is there some fix you can implement to correct this in the installer?

-Livewire

Don't know what it is I would need to fix.

The SciTE program will run from any place as long as the Rights are set correctly and the path to AutoIt3 in au3.properties is correct. Reading the issue j'tje had and his solution ..there's nothing wrong with the installer..

You have to be more specific about the problem you are having for me to understand what you mean...

:)

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Can you make the installer set the permissions correctly for other users (non-administrative) to be able to use SciTE? Or have an option during the installation for: "Install for current user", "Install for all users" or something.

I don't think any installer does that..(but i could be wrong.)

To my knowledge all an "install for all users" does is make sure that registry settings are done for all user hives or done in the HKLM in stead of HKCU ...

To me the installer creates subdirectories with files and other subdirs and all that should happen is to inherent the security from its root ...

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

To me the installer creates subdirectories with files and other subdirs and all that should happen is to inherent the security from its root ...

Hi Jos,

That's just what is not happening. After I installed Scite, inheritance was turned off from the AutoIt3-map downwards. So only SYSTEM, Administrators and the account with which I installed AutoIt had rights in this folder. The Users group did'nt have any rights anymore. They should have at least read/execute.

• Developers

Hi Jos,

That's just what is not happening. After I installed Scite, inheritance was turned off from the AutoIt3-map downwards. So only SYSTEM, Administrators and the account with which I installed AutoIt had rights in this folder. The Users group did'nt have any rights anymore. They should have at least read/execute.

Just checked My PC's Security settings and both AutoIt3 and AutoIt3\SciTE have exact same security inheriting it from "Program Files" subdir.

I doubt that NSIS is changing any of this ...

Did you run the installer with the users credentials or some orther "RunAS"account ?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Did you run the installer with the users credentials or some orther "RunAS"account ?

I ran it while logged in as restricted user and then right-clicking it and selecting Run as... There I entered the credentials of de administrative account.

Using a fairly standard windows installer package will give you the ability to change permissions on the folder structure and the registry, IE WISE, INSTALLSHEILD, both give you this ability, i haven't played with the free installer apps to know if they also provide this ability, but i have just in the last couple of days started playing with SETACL using Autoit and it does exactly what you want it to with both File/Folder/Registry permission's.

Maybe the writers of NSIS or the other open installer apps should look into SETACL for inclusion in their products.

P388l3s

• Developers

I ran it while logged in as restricted user and then right-clicking it and selecting Run as... There I entered the credentials of de administrative account.

ahh.. This could be reason for the changed directory security settings.

Why would you have to use an Administrator account ?

All the restricted user needs is write access to the AutoIt3 directory to Install SciTE4AutoIt3. isn't that the case ?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.