Disable ctrl+alt+del

kp3

I'm talking about blocking the ctrl alt del keys. Not blocking a PC, that's a whole different story and can be done easily.

Edit: I am feeling stubborn.

I'm with you on that one :) this discussion is too funny... but i suppose you did give the "can't be done" challenge...

WTF! I just received 20 emails all pointing to this thread! And some of them were in german O.o

I agree with JdeB. A couple of days ago Symantec was pointing AutoIt stub and all compiled scripts as viruses. Any ideas why?

I'm not accusing anyone of using AutoIt to do evil stuff, I just think that blocking Ctrl+Alt+Del IS evil stuff. And I think Microsoft wouldn't want anyone to do that on their systems.

[quote name='Valik' post='301213' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:36 PM']You seem to have a habit of putting things in the wrong place. I feel sorry for any female you attempt to have sex with.[/quote][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/font]

WTF! I just received 20 emails all pointing to this thread! And some of them were in german O.o

I agree with JdeB. A couple of days ago Symantec was pointing AutoIt stub and all compiled scripts as viruses. Any ideas why?

I'm not accusing anyone of using AutoIt to do evil stuff, I just think that blocking Ctrl+Alt+Del IS evil stuff. And I think Microsoft wouldn't want anyone to do that on their systems.

I agree. Generally speaking, i don't think AutoIt should be trying to provide "security" anyway (unless we're talking basics). Group Policies and user rights do a fine job of that type of stuff.

unless we're talking about pranks, in which case there are much better ways than removing ctrl-alt-del. (personal favorite: opening and closing drive bays :)

Added password protect folder

[s]My scripts =)Password protect process (with tray menu lol)Clickous meousDisable ctrl+alt+del and password protect folder...Andous herous lolKp3s security center v.1Click me[/s]Ok... You shouldnt use annyone of them cuz they use alot of memory and contain alot of errors and stuff.. I was a n00b :P Ignore it... And if u for some reason want to use them... Watch out for my realy bad spelling :I

I have in my routine usage, something I dubbed "Lockdown" it does the following when run...

Displays a flashing tray icon, and a traytip counting down from 5 seconds, and uses the speech engine from XP, to count down the time, and all the while it is checking the position of the mouse, if it is in the lower right corner (or at least within 5px box) it skips the delay, and presents a traytip and voice saying "Lockdown", and it uses the builtin blockinput function in Autoit, then it checks for the existance of the task manager window, and if it exists, then it unblocks input, closes task manager, and closes itself. I use it as I have a 13 month old daughter that loves to beat on the keyboard, and I can still leave music playing, and change the songs using the extra keys on the keyboard I have, but she cannot do any real damage using the mouse nor keyboard. So I am happy and so is she... :)

I can post code if anyone is interested, I have an icon made for it and everything as well, as I enjoy making icons for the various programs I have made using AutoIt...

Laterzzz,

Onoitsu2

Things I have made:[font="Trebuchet Ms"]_CheckTimeBlock UDF(LT)MOH Call Ignore List (MOH = Modem On Hold)[/font]

then it checks for the existance of the task manager window, and if it exists, then it unblocks input, closes task manager, and closes itself.

This can accomplished by simple doing this:

BlockInput(1)
While 1
     Sleep(100)
Wend

When you open taskmanager blockinput is automatically overwritten and you can move your mouse again. The script can then be closed by the tray icon..

i have written something like this:

Func _DisableTaskMgr($iDisableMode = 1)
    If $iDisableMode = 2 Then
        DllCall("winlockdll.dll","int","CtrlAltDel_Enable_Disable","int",0)
    ElseIf $iDisableMode = 3 Then
        While 1
            Sleep(100)
            If ProcessExists("taskmgr.exe") Then
                ProcessClose("taskmgr.exe")
            EndIf
        WEnd
    Else
        RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "DisableTaskMgr", "REG_DWORD", Hex(1))
    EndIf
    Return 1
EndFunc   ;==>_DisableTaskMgr
The use of winlockdll.dll will do the stuff

disable :

DllCall("winlockdll.dll","int","CtrlAltDel_Enable_Disable","int",0)

enable :

DllCall("winlockdll.dll","int","CtrlAltDel_Enable_Disable","int",1)

EDIT : do a search before wil give other topics too on this item

Edited by FeReNGi

I can block it!!!!!

Its easy....all you have to do is get a flat head screwdriver...maybe some pliers.....and just start yankin a few keys out of the key board......i would like to see someone start the task manager after that!!! :lmao:

Edit:

Oh ya, i heard you can physically change the keys to start up task manager....like instead of ctrl+alt-del, you change it to 8+pagedown-\

not sure if it could work though.....just throwing stuff out of my head :ph34r:

Edited by Gondus

-----------Current Programming Language Status:Beginner: J#, Ruby Intermediate: Autoit, Java, C#, C++Advanced: Basic, Visual Basic, Fortran

never!

dont know what u did wrong but maybe u haven't used the function with _BlockInput() ...

I'm pretty sure it depends on the OS ur using. It works for me, but I imagine it won't work on some other computers. Maybe have different functions depending on windows version???

CTRL-ALT-DEL is part of a Schema, it is not part of "regular keys" when pressed together.

For example, in a straight Windows systems, CTRL-ALT-DEL will bring up task manager. However, if you have NDS (Novell), then the Schema has been changed ... CTRL-ALT-DEL will bring up a Novell menu, allowing TaskMan to be opened, password to be changed, log off and more...

In regards to security, yes there can be malicious intent (but then again, there can be this with ANY code written, more or less), but there are practical applications, especially when needed by an Admin of a network, against users with low permissions.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of my posts. I like learning from my mistakes too.

CTRL + ALT + DEL is also built into your keyboard bus controller, it is a hardcoded thing, that cannot be bypassed, and has existed since the days of personal computers, I own an old Amstrad from 1986 and it was used in that, and yet it did not have windows, it used PC Shell, and GEM. Both of which respond to that key combination, even DOS.

The ONLY true way to block those keys is to override the keyboard controller's control of such keys, or its interpretation of then, or even possibly intercept and block the reciept of such keys. The later 2 would require a separate hardware device, or a combination of TSR drivers, and a firmware flash to use said TSR. The first option I stated would only require a firmware flash of your keyboard controller, which is a task not worth doing. I have used several hardware flashing utilities, on old as dirt computers, and examined the controller code, and it is quite complex, and that is not even including support for USB keyboards, that is a whole new issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Laterzzz,

Onoitsu2

Things I have made:[font="Trebuchet Ms"]_CheckTimeBlock UDF(LT)MOH Call Ignore List (MOH = Modem On Hold)[/font]

yes you can disable it. and i have.

by using a dll freely available online.

Winlockdll.dll.

and it works for windows xp sp2 for sure

Winlock.dll has been mentioned before.

- Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del isn't actually disabled, task manager is, so your app will still go back to windows and you'll see a message saying "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator", bummer.

So once, IN THE FACE Ha! :lmao:

yes you can disable it. and i have.

by using a dll freely available online.

Winlockdll.dll.

and it works for windows xp sp2 for sure

A good example to test with, is BlockInput(1).

This disables all keys and mouse.

CTRL-ALT-DEL automatically makes BlockInput(0) - and you can then use the keyboard/mouse for any use.

If you are really disabling CTRL-ALT-DEL, then you wouldn't be able to move mouse or type after pressing, as the C_A_D would be blocked, and would not over-ride the BlockInput.

Give it a whirl.

Remember CTRL-ALT-DEL and taskmgr are different things.

Windows Schema just says "on special C_A_D, run taskmgr".

The main issue is disabling special C_A_D.

As I mentioned Novell earlier, the schema changes to say "on special C_A_D, run Novell Menu".

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of my posts. I like learning from my mistakes too.

As I mentioned Novell earlier, the schema changes to say "on special C_A_D, run Novell Menu".

You seem to know a lot about this. (In my posts I'm just guessing :lmao:).

How does Novell set itself as the standard application for this special C_A_D? I wish to set it myself, and I recon it is not as easy as editing the registry.

Plz leave this topic and check my other software

[s]My scripts =)Password protect process (with tray menu lol)Clickous meousDisable ctrl+alt+del and password protect folder...Andous herous lolKp3s security center v.1Click me[/s]Ok... You shouldnt use annyone of them cuz they use alot of memory and contain alot of errors and stuff.. I was a n00b :P Ignore it... And if u for some reason want to use them... Watch out for my realy bad spelling :I

• 3 weeks later...

CTRL + ALT + DEL is also built into your keyboard bus controller, it is a hardcoded thing, that cannot be bypassed, and has existed since the days of personal computers, I own an old Amstrad from 1986 and it was used in that, and yet it did not have windows, it used PC Shell, and GEM. Both of which respond to that key combination, even DOS.

I've just found some proof to this statement.

Send("^!{DEL}")

does not open Taskmanager.