Script sometimes halts on "IF" statement

Hey everyone,

Im a newbie to AutoIt, but its been a very useful tool so far. I've created a script that basically launches one of our applications and does data entry into the appropriate fields, based on windows that pop-up. Essentially, there are about 9000 profiles to be updated, and we don't have access to the backend DB, so this was the best alternative.

Overall the script is quite simple, with one while loop, and some nested "if" statements. The script will run successfully for the first little bit, running all of the commands and code smoothly, however, at some point, the script decides to just halt before performing an "if" statement in the code (which it successfully ran earlier).

Any idea why this would be? Does AutoIt have some sort of time buffer that halts it from going forward?

This is the code that i find it gets stuck on:

If WinExists("MIS Database","Warning") == 1 Then

;ControlFocus("MIS Database", "Warning", "MagicWindow1")

;WinWaitActive("MIS Database","Warning")

ControlClick("MIS Database", "&OK", 1)

Send("{F12}")

EndIf

I have tried with the WinWaitActives and ControlFocus to hopefully get the script to see it better, but i don't see it helping. I have also attempted to do WinWaits on it, which didn't help.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Edited by willw_magic

Thanks MHz,

The error seems to no longer happen on that "IF" statement (after testing a couple runs). However, it now halts on a different "IF" statement. Here is a more detailed section of the code:

;If user already has the Notify mail link created, exit the script and go to the next user login ID.
If WinExists("MIS Database","Warning") Then
    WinWaitClose("MIS Database","Warning")
    Send("{F12}")

;If there exists another warning window, then an error has been thrown from entering the users NOTIFY
;link.  Hence, record that users name in a file, and continue processing the rest of the list.

Send("{BS}")

$ErrorFile = FileOpen("error.txt", 1)

If $ErrorFile = -1 Then
                MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
                Exit
                                    EndIf

FileWriteLine($ErrorFile, $line)

Send("{F12}")
            Send("{ENTER}")
;Run the following, if there does not exist an error thrown.  The following confirms the link has been entered
;into the user profile.
ElseIf WinExists("MIS Database","Confirmation") Then
    ControlClick("MIS Database", "&Yes", 1)
    WinWaitClose("MIS Database","Confirmation")

EndIf

Now the script halts when trying to process the last "ElseIF" statement.

Edited by willw_magic

Tidy is created by JdeB. It is normally found in Scite4AutoIt3, but is available for any other editor. It will tidy your malformed code indenting into indenting that does follow the common syntax indenting.

Look here for tidy...

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/downloads.php

Hmm, hoping a missing EndIf was an easy cure :whistle: to your problem. I'm not sure now.

After more testing, it seems to be halting here:

WinWaitActive("MIS Database","Warning")
    Send("{F12}")
oÝ÷ ØZ½é¨v'âyØ­o'hx-çèZ0xºÚ"µÍÜ
    ][ÝÕÚ[ØZ][^I][ÝË
L
BYÚ[^ÝÊ  ][ÝÓRTÈ]XÙI][ÝË   ][ÝÕØ[É][ÝÊH[UÚ[ØZ]XÝ]J    ][ÝÓRTÈ]XÙI][ÝË   ][ÝÕØ[É][ÝÊBPÛÛÛÛXÚÊ    ][ÝÓRTÈ]XÙI][ÝË   ][ÝÉ[ÓÒÉ][ÝËJBÚ[ØZ]ÛÜÙJ ][ÝÓRTÈ]XÙI][ÝË   ][ÝÕØ[É][ÝÊBTÙ[
    ][ÝÞÑLI][ÝÊB

Essentially, it will process the code fine at the beginning, but other times when it should check for the existence of the "Warning" window, it doesn't actually check it. I know it doesn't check it because the rest of the code within that IF statement is never executed. I have attempted a "Winwait" before it to hopefully slow it down, with no luck.

Would there be a reason why the code would just halt at that IF statement, if it wasn't doing it in beginning? Anyway I could force it to check that Warning window aside from the WinExists? Can I somehow activate it another way?

On winwaitactive, you can put in a timeout. That may also solve the problem. Winwaitclose also can use a timeout.

Hey Vollyman, Thanks for the suggestion. However, what will this timeout do?

If i use:

WinWaitActive("MIS Database","Warning", 6)

What happens after 6 seconds? It will stop waiting for the active, and then do what?

I think the problem could lie in the "WinExists" portion, seeing that the script simply stops and halts at that "Warning" window. To me, it sounds like it doesn't check to see that it exists. Think thats possible?

I think the problem could lie in the "WinExists" portion, seeing that the script simply stops and halts at that "Warning" window. To me, it sounds like it doesn't check to see that it exists. Think thats possible

Test the code with TimerInit() and TimerDiff() Like:

$Timer = TimerInit()
MsgBox(0,"","It took " & Round(TimerDiff($Timer),0) & " miliseconds")

Hallman

Edited by Hallman

I'm pretty new too, but it seems like adding the "= 1" portion is necessary, I don't know. Also, if the window exists, why would you wait for it to be active?

If WinExists("MIS Database","Warning") = 1 Then
    WinActivate("MIS Database","Warning")
    Send("{F12}")
Edited by crzftx

Also, if the window exists, why would you wait for it to be active?

If there is more than one window on the screen, they both exist, but only one has focus.

Making it active ensures that it first has focus before proceeding.

It's a good bit of code to have in when working with windows.

Edited by MrBeatnik

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of my posts. I like learning from my mistakes too.