Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tAKTelapis

Check if remote computer is on

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Can anyone think of a way other than a ping test to see if a remote computer is actually on, that is nice and quick?

i could just use the example from the help file, and integrate the ping check to my script, but before i do that i wouldnt mind knowing:

How big are the packets sent?

How many packets does it check with? (the standard 4? if so, can i change this?)

Im working on a program for managing certain aspects of a computer remotely (internet control namely) and it relies on being able to remotely access a computer, if that computer isnt on, it tends to hang for a good 30 seconds before continuing, this essentially slows up the entire process.

I just need it to check that the computer ($LabNameStart&$x&$LabNameEnd) is actually on (name is formated like this as we have naming convetions for rooms, IE: XXX-Room1-01#

I realise there is a lot of code missing, but all i really need to do is check that the machine is on as quick as possible, and save its name to an array, to be displayed during the final message box so that the user knows which machines were missed (most likely as there were not switched on)

Case $msg = $InternetOn
            $z = 0
            _GetRoom()
                ProgressOn("Internet On", "Turning Internet on in "&GUICtrlRead($room), "0 Percent", (@DesktopWidth / 2)-150, (@DesktopHeight / 2), 18)
            For $x = 1 to $LabNumMachines
                ProgressSet( $z, $z & " percent")
                    $z = $z + $ProgressIncrement
            If StringLen($x) = 1 Then $x = String("0"&$x)
            $command = String('c:\windows\system32\ipseccmd.exe ')&String('\\'&$LabNameStart&$x&$LabNameEnd)&String(' import ')&String('"c:\program files\NetControl\ei\WWWcontrol.ipsec"')&String(' >>c:\Logs\ErrorLog_ON_net.txt')
            _RunDOS($command)
;           MsgBox(0, "Test", $command)
            Next
    RegWrite("\\"&$LabNameStart&"01"&$LabNameEnd&"\HKLM\Software\NetControl\", "RoomStatus", "REG_SZ", "0")
                ProgressSet(100 , "Done", "Complete")
                ProgressOff()
            MsgBOx(0, "Internet On", "Internet should now be on in "&GUICtrlRead($room))

Perhaps try this UDF (created by WhiteTiger I believe)

func checkinet()
$f_con = DllCall("wininet.dll","Dword","InternetAttemptConnect")
if $f_con <> 0 then 
    DllCall("wininet.dll","dword","InternetAttemptConnect")
    $f_con = DllCall("wininet.dll","Dword","InternetAttemptConnect")
if $f_con <> 0 then 
    Return -1
EndIf
EndIf
$f_open = DllCall("wininet.dll","dword","InternetOpen","Dword","dwAccesType")
if not $f_open = 0 then Return $f_open
EndFunc

Hope that helps!

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

If you know the name of the computer then what I do is I simply say

If FileExists('\\' & $Name & '\C\.') Then $on = true

Edited by martin

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Cheers, looks like an interesting UDF, i will have to have a look into it, though the IPSec policies are working wonders at the moment, i was just hoping i could cut down network traffic a little by not having to ping every computer in the room.