Folder Monitor

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get hold of a script or get any ideas on how to make a script that will watch a folder and then display a message is the contects of that folder changes. Ie/ Watch the desktop and as soon as someone saves a file there the message displays "You should not save files to your desktop."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael

Here's what I have made tonight. Nice and basic - would like any comments if anyone has some to improve it. It works but I am not a programmer.

$InitialSize = DirGetSize(@DesktopDir)

CheckSize()

Func CheckSize()

While 1

$MonitoredSize = DirGetSize(@DesktopDir)

If $MonitoredSize > $InitialSize Then

MsgBox(0,"","You should not save files on your desktop. When you reboot they wil be erased.")

Else

;Do Nothing

EndIf

Sleep(2000)

$InitialSize = $MonitoredSize

WEnd

CheckSize()

EndFunc

Edited by ca143508

Global $PathSize = DirGetSize(@DesktopDir, 1)
HotKeySet("{ESC}", "Terminate")

AdlibEnable('_FolderMonitor')

While 1
    Sleep(50)
WEnd

Func _FolderMonitor()
    Local $iSize = DirGetSize(@DesktopDir, 1)
    If $iSize[1] <> $PathSize[1] Or $iSize[2] <> $PathSize[2] Then 
        If $iSize[1] < $PathSize[1] Then MsgBox(16,"Warning...","You should not delete files from your desktop.")
        If $iSize[2] < $PathSize[2] Then MsgBox(16,"Warning...","You should not deleting folders from your desktop.")
        If $iSize[1] > $PathSize[1] Then MsgBox(16,"Warning...","You should not save files to your desktop.") 
        If $iSize[2] > $PathSize[2] Then MsgBox(16,"Warning...","You should not save folders to your desktop.")
        $PathSize[1] = $iSize[1]
        $PathSize[2] = $iSize[2]
    EndIf
EndFunc

Func Terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc
Press ESC to exit script.

Edited by Danny35d
AutoIt Scripts:NetPrinter - Network Printer UtilityRobocopyGUI - GUI interface for M$ robocopy command line

@Danny35d

Is your script checking if a file's size is getting smaller and thus saying that message about not deleting a file (vice versa for size getting bigger)? If so wouldn't that mean that you would gradually lose the file/ damage it if you continuously try to delete that file?

If not, then what is the script doing?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]BA-LA[/font]http://ba-la.110mb.comJoin my community, CLICK HEREAlternative links to my site:http://www.ba-la.tkhttp://www.ba-la.co.nrContact me if you would like to help with some of my projects: joeythepirate@gmail.com

The original goal was to monitor the desktop folder and if it's size increases, prompt the user about the dangers of saving files to a local system that automatically restores to it's original state on reboot. It will also make a copy of any files on the desktop in a network share so that should they re-boot and ignore the error messages they were getting, we can easily restore the files or send them to the network share to edit them.

Cheers

Michael