Using objects.

James

I was just trying something, with objects.

I was sent this file:

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

$GUI = GUICreate("", 600, 500)
$RichText = ObjCreate("RICHTEXT.RichTextCtrl")
GUICtrlCreateObj($RichText, 10, 10)
GUICtrlSetPos(-1, 10, 10, 580, 480)
With $RichText
    .Text = "Bold Text Underline Text"
    .SelStart = 0
    .SelLength = 9
    .SelBold = True
    .SelStart = 10
    .SelLength = 14
    .SelUnderline = True
EndWith
GUISetState()
$RichText.SelLength = 0

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd

And then I thought I would try and set data in it using GuiCtrlSetData, but then I figured it wouldn't work because its not a GUI CTRL :). So I looked through the helpfile, but couldn't find anything that will set data in Objects. So. My question is, how do I set data within an object?

Secure

Edit: I found that using $RichText.Text = "This is some text" will work. Will it all work if I was to read the text with speech?

Edit: OK, so I found that reading does work with no problems what so ever. Speak($RichText.Text, 0, 100) works great :D

Edited by Secure_ICT

Object have "properties" that can be set using a special syntax like in your example. You are actually "setting" the value of 7 properties inside the With statement in your example.

BTW, "With" is just a shorthand function - $RichText.Text = "Bold Text Underline Text" would be the syntax for each of the 7 properties.

Each object has it's own set of properties and you must find the documentation for that object to know what they are (there are also object exploration tools you can use, but that is a more advanced topic).

Note that objects also have "methods" that cause action to be taken rather than setting attributes.

There is a pretty goo write-up by SvenP in the helpfile under Obj/COM.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble