DiskMax 2.2

KJohn

Posted Image

DiskMax is a hard disk performance tool I created. It started with a little project called DiskClean that I created to automate all my disk cleaning activities. I used it for well over a year before I thought, 'Hey, Vista's coming out soon, my XP installation is all pepped up with Vista features but here I have my trusty old DiskClean with a Win9x-esque interface' (saying it was ugly is being very kind).

So I started work on DiskMax. DiskMax comes with no installer/uninstaller (its a standalone!). It really doesn't matter where you run it from! All this contributes to it being just 288KB!

It's got a very Vista-like interface as you can see from the screenshot above. As each section of your system is tuned up, that portion of the tasklist lights up (in the figure only HDD and UserAccounts are lit up; Windows, DeepScan and Defrag are yet to come). You won't realise how fast your computer can be until you've run DiskMax at least once!

In order to see how many people run this software, it is necessary that DiskMax is allowed to register itself on the internet the first time its run. Kindly show your support by leaving comments!

Download: http://koshyjohnuk.googlepages.com/DiskMax.exe

Description: http://koshyjohnuk.spaces.live.com/blog/cn...!1265.entry

Source: #398223

IMPORTANT NOTE: The core of this program is over 3 years old. It has been tested by over 700 people safely.

Related: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40627

Downloads till 04sept07: 1795

Downloads till 11july07: 798

Important notes: I has created this software with the end-user's best interests at heart but I have understood that experienced users will find the lack of control over some functions of the program a little disconcerting. For such users, the following information might be useful in deciding whether to run the program:

- Empties recycle bin (user can decide this on the first run) and deletes (*.xml,*.txt,*.sqm) from the root of every volume.

- Clears user's history, temporary files, temp internet files, cookies (on request), MRU list.

- Removes Microsoft windows updates' uninstall files (so make sure all your recent updates are going well before you run this)

- Clears some standard MRU locations.

- Under Windows Vista, it will clear out all your event logs (no useful for 99% of users; just lists things like what happened in Windows and when).

- All files with the following extensions (that are not in use) are deleted: LOG, OLD, PRV, CHK, SWP, BAK, GID, WBK, TMP.

- Defragments your volumes using Windows' built in defragmenter.

The above files are not directly recoverable. The behavior of the latest version of the program (a couple of months old) has never operated out specifications. But some experienced users on the forum have found my default specifications (now listed above for perusal in that light) not to their liking (read more about that in the subsequent posts).

The program can be stopped at any time during its run by pressing the 'Esc' key on your keyboard.

Edited by Koshy John

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you make the / "spining"

thats simple

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "quit")

GUICreate("SPIN!", 100, 100)
$text = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 2,2,30,30)
GUISetState()

While 1
    GUICtrlSetData($text, "\")
    Sleep(200)
    ;optional just another look
    ;GUICtrlSetData($text, "-")
    ;sleep(200)
    GUICtrlSetData($text, "/")
    sleep(200)
    GUICtrlSetData($text, "-")
    sleep(200)
WEnd

Func quit()
    Exit
EndFunc
Edited by smstroble

MUHAHAHAHAHA

Hi,

Nice app.. and it works great..

I do have question...

How did you make the / "spining" and the ' moving while it defrags? Maybe you are willing to provide the source for just that.

Regards

Martin

smstroble has already given u an idea... but here's the original code I used (please insert into correct places in your own code):

;declare this right at the beginning of your script
    Global $twist[8],$tn = 0
    $twist[0] = '|'
    $twist[1] = '/'
    $twist[2] = '-'
    $twist[3] = '\'
    $twist[4] = '|'
    $twist[5] = '/'
    $twist[6] = '-'
    $twist[7] = '\'
;end of declaration

;call this function to return different states
Func hg()
;hourglass
    $tn = $tn + 1
    If $tn = 8 Then $tn = 0
    Return $twist[$tn]
EndFunc
;end of function call

Here's an example of usage:

For $i=0 To 100

$text = "Deleting inbox.... "&" "&hg()

;insert something to display the text here like GUICtrlSetData

Next

Hi,

Works great on 1 machine; not sure if it makes any difference, though! How can I tell?

On laptop, gets stuck spinning in "delete temp internet files" on 3rd user account - I have manually deleted them [so access ok], and still the same!Best, Randall

EDIT; sorry, still problem, but "delete temp files" too be more accurate.... and it is the current user account, so perhaps trying to delete windows temp files?

EDIT2; got it working by dos manual delete of temp files... then OK.

Edited by randallc

Hi,

Works great on 1 machine; not sure if it makes any difference, though! How can I tell?

On laptop, gets stuck spinning in "delete temp internet files" on 3rd user account - I have manually deleted them [so access ok], and still the same!Best, Randall

EDIT; sorry, still problem, but "delete temp files" too be more accurate.... and it is the current user account, so perhaps trying to delete windows temp files?

Randall, I'm going to add a diagnostic mode to the program that'll tell you where its getting stuck... just hold on a bit.. k?

are you sure its getting stuck? try waiting long enough... this happens sometimes when it tries to delete files in use... Windows may take a little time to report that back to the program...

i'll hav it ready by valentine's day... sorry for the delay but i'm in the middle of my university exams... finishes on feb 13..

It would be nice to see the scritp here... its to risky to donwload with out seeing the script...

Sorry but i would like to see the script first!

If you would not like to show the whoile world the scrite u can message me or email me:my email

Edited by SalazarCheats

Ok im 14 with a spelling age of a 9 year old... that explanes all my spelling mistakes

It would be nice to see the scritp here... its to risky to donwload with out seeing the script...

Sorry but i would like to see the script first!

If you would not like to show the whoile world the scrite u can message me or email me:my email

Your caution is commendable... But this is not a rogue script... The internal workings of the script hasn't changed significantly for over 2 years... The only major changes that came about are with the GUI... Over 215 people have installed the latest version itself and none have ever reported any problems on their systems to me...

I have done thorough research before I set about working on this program and I use it EVERY single day without ANY problems whatsoever.

If that isn't good enough for you, don't install the program. Its not like you are the first person in this forum to consider using it. A number of people have used it and have left their comments above. I'll let the comments speak for themselves.

@randallc

The changes to the code that I promised you by Valentine's has been made early.

DiskMax v2.0 released. New features:

- Shadow logging. Log displayed on next run after premature exit by user.

- Higher quality visuals with nearly no artifacts.

- Rewritten directory recursion.

- Monthly check for updates.

- Non administrative defrag not a high-flagged error; graceful exit.

- Uses AutoIt v3.2.2.0 core

The logging feature can be used to solve your problem as follows:

- Start the program.

- When the program seems to take too long to remove a certain section, press 'Esc'.

- Restart the program... the log file will be displayed.

- Look at the last entry in the log...

If you can't figure out why it seems to be slowing down at that point, try the following before you send me a copy of the log:

- Run chkdsk on all your fixed drives (with the /f parameter)

- Try running the program from within an Administrative account

- Try manually deleting the file from within Windows Explorer and see what happens

For best results, close all programs other than your Antivirus, AntiSpyware and Firewall software before you run DiskMax.

Tell me if it helps.. k?

This just screwed up my desktop and I need to try and save it if possible.

I ran it once about a week or 2 ago with no problems.

I ran it again today and the first thing it did was completely wipe out every single shortcut and file I had on my desktop. It even cleared the recycle bin. I have looked in the different desktop folders and no files exists. What has this program done?

I also used a restoration program and I do not see them listed there so either they are still on my PC somewhere or they are completely destroyed.

It is not the end of the world and most of it I did have backups of but why in the world would you create something that deletes the desktop files?

Please help me recover this or delete your program forever.

Kohr

More strange things. I am restoring files to the desktop and I am getting the message that file X already exists. I do not visually see the file anywhere on the desktop (running dual monitors). I have looked in every path that is C:\Documents and Settings\EVERY NAME LISTED\Desktop and I do not see any of the files.

Kohr

More strange things. I am restoring files to the desktop and I am getting the message that file X already exists. I do not visually see the file anywhere on the desktop (running dual monitors). I have looked in every path that is C:\Documents and Settings\EVERY NAME LISTED\Desktop and I do not see any of the files.

Kohr

sounds like your files are hidden.. go to folder options and show hidden files and they should come up, I bet a process has just hidden them and not deleted them I had this problem with a similar application .. but this app is great.

great work..

Acideax

You only need two tools in life: WD40 and Duct Tape.If it moves and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape.If it should move but doesnt, use WD40.

sounds like your files are hidden.. go to folder options and show hidden files and they should come up, I bet a process has just hidden them and not deleted them I had this problem with a similar application .. but this app is great.

great work..

Acideax

This app is great? Wow that is amazing that I report a issue with this, you tell me basically what might have occurred (even though I figured it out) and you call the app great. Are you a fanboy or what?

Kohr

This app is great? Wow that is amazing that I report a issue with this, you tell me basically what might have occurred (even though I figured it out) and you call the app great. Are you a fanboy or what?

Kohr

I just looked at the source code for the script and I don't see how this script could be at fault. First, it doesn't do anything to the Desktop. I searched the source for the string "Desktop" and found nothing. Second, the script only calls FileSetAttrib() twice and it doesn't even come close to touching the Desktop with it. I don't know what caused your issue but I say that it's highly unlikely that it was the version of this script that I see posted.

Hi,

My long note got wiped; abbreviated;

1. Can we have an option to keep cookies?

2. One computer will not run the prog a second time after an interruption and looking at the log; how do I get it to work again? [yes, I know it should just run againas usual, but produces a brief hour glass, no GUI, and stops, never runs] [interruption was in Defrag, and log reported everything correctly; still does!]

3. it has done a good job on about 7 computers for me now; including VMWare virtual.

Best, randall

Edited by randallc

hi i am new.

I though this would be a nice little script to have on hand to run on my pc.

It turns out I was wrong and I should of read the whole thread before moving on.

This little script has hidden all my desktop items and cleaned my recycling bin with out warning

which made me angry. I have searched high and about for my files but still no were to be found

can someone please help me retrive them.

I really wish a mod could lock this thread and take down his download link.

hi i am new.

I though this would be a nice little script to have on hand to run on my pc.

It turns out I was wrong and I should of read the whole thread before moving on.

This little script has hidden all my desktop items and cleaned my recycling bin with out warning

which made me angry. I have searched high and about for my files but still no were to be found

can someone please help me retrive them.

I really wish a mod could lock this thread and take down his download link.

This is weird. Totally. I can't figure out why people are reporting things that this script clearly cannot be responsible for (EVEN AFTER VALIK INSPECTED THE CODE). I will accept that the recycle bin is cleared. Here's the reasoning based on which I included it:

- People who inhabit these forums are generally not newbies. And most experienced people I know don't use the recycle bin at all.

- People who are inexperienced usually don't know enough to empty their recycle bins; I just do it for them.

- About 90% of the people who come across this program fall into either of the above 2 categories. I designed the program with that in mind. The majority.

Please note that I DO NOT gain anything by making malicious code. I've been on these forums for a while and I've never been involved in anything as unethical as dirty code. I wouldn't expose myself so much if I wrote the code intending to do damage.

I respect constructive criticism and will do my best to act on it.

@RANDALL

1. Yes, an option to exclude cookies can be built in. The option in itself is easy but creating a good looking GUI to go with the main interface is not. I WILL definitely work on it.

2. I'll include more diagnostics to get to the root of such irritants. Until then, restarting your computer should do the trick.

3. Thanks for the inspiration! I will strive to make it even better.

@testingtest (again)

- No mod is going to lock this thread unless it aims at delibrately dissipating malicious code. And Valik has decided the current version does not. So dream on.

- How is having a download link hurting you? Nobody forced you to click on it. Grow up.

368 people have downloaded this program. And only 3 have mentioned the slightest of problems with it (including you). I think that is pretty good. A 99.184% complete success rate.

Edited by Koshy John