Getting Last 5 Lines of server logs

sesk

Hello, I am working on a script to handle my server console and manage logs, I got it working ok but the log part isn't functional.

I'm looking for a way to get the last 5 lines of a *.log file (5-20mb file) and store them in a common *.log file, with time and date title, like:

---12:30:21 PM - 3/20/2007 ---
Last Line -4
Last Line -3
Last Line -2
Last Line -1
Last Line

And how to make it so it doesn't procced to the next operation until the lines are read and stored, since when the server starts, it wipes the log files.

Thanks for reading.

Hello, I am working on a script to handle my server console and manage logs, I got it working ok but the log part isn't functional.

I'm looking for a way to get the last 5 lines of a *.log file (5-20mb file) and store them in a common *.log file, with time and date title, like:

---12:30:21 PM - 3/20/2007 ---
Last Line -4
Last Line -3
Last Line -2
Last Line -1
Last Line

And how to make it so it doesn't procced to the next operation until the lines are read and stored, since when the server starts, it wipes the log files.

Thanks for reading.

you could do a FileReadToArray() then save FileWriteLine() $array[$array[0]-4] through $array[$array[0]] to another file...

Wouldn't that be... a pretty damn big array ? File Size range is more like 5-200mb; 2,360,000 lines, avg 1million lines, and there would also be to consider the time of execution, isnt there a way to get the file line count, and like

GetLastLine(...)

do

FileLineRead(...,...,lastline)

lastline = lastline -1;

c = c +1

until c = 5;

?

Wouldn't that be... a pretty damn big array ? File Size range is more like 5-200mb; 2,360,000 lines, avg 1million lines, and there would also be to consider the time of execution, isnt there a way to get the file line count, and like

GetLastLine(...)

do

FileLineRead(...,...,lastline)

lastline = lastline -1;

c = c +1

until c = 5;

?

you're there and could test it for time to execute etc couldn't you? and which is it, 5 - 20 mb, or 5-200? pretty big difference...

and which is it, 5 - 20 mb, or 5-200? pretty big difference...

5-200mb , wont let me edit my original post.

Randall,

I'll try your tail thing.

EDIT: But how do you use it, i tried the ReadTail3.au3 and it only displayed the replacement time in the console :S

EDIT2: Nevermind the last line WAS " " (nothing), but now i have to figure out how to make it read the previous lines (btw nice script, real fast :whistle:)

Edited by sesk

I think the most logical way to achieve this is to do:

#include <File.au3>
Local $file = "test.txt", $data = ""
$lines = _FileCountLines($file)
For $i = $lines-4 To $lines
    If NOT FileReadLine($file, $i) = "" Then $data = $data & FileReadLine($file, $i) & @CRLF
Next
MsgBox(0,"",StringTrimRight($data,1))

Kurt

EDIT: Improved script.

Edited by _Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

$lines = _FileCountLines($file)

You still are having to read the whole file to get the "tail" end.

Find a tail binary, and use it. I have pasted below the info to help you find one.

C:\boz\bat>tail --version

tail (textutils) 2.1

Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Ian Lance Taylor, and Jim Meyering.

Copyright © 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO

warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

A wrapper around tail, and all your problems are solved. Fast access at the 'last' bit of a file.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

Hi,

[1]

tail (textutils) 2.1

A wrapper around tail

[2]

To get started you need to download it here : MS LogParser 2.2

(Don' t forget to register the LogParser DLL.)

Why bother with either of those options when you can use a simple AutoIt UDF [see my post above about TailRW], which is probably faster anyway?

Best, randall

Edited by randallc

Randallc, I am using your TailRW script, but I get AutoIt error when it runs (Memory Error)

local $c_bulk = "Location of bulk txt file"
local $c_logs = "Location of server log file (txt, can't read log files...)
local $i_line = 0;
if ... then
        $i_line = -6;
    FileWriteLine ($c_bulk, "" )
    FileWriteLine ($c_bulk, "--- "& @MDAY &"/"& @MON &"/"& @YEAR &" -- "& @HOUR &":"& @MIN &":"& @SEC &" ---")
    FileWriteLine ($c_bulk, "" )
    do
        $i_Line = $i_Line + 1
        $s_ReadLine = __FileReadLine ($c_logs, $i_Line, 1);** READS from the TAIL if Negative line number
        FileWriteLine ($c_bulk, $s_ReadLine )
    Until $i_Line = -1

Hi,

You have not named your file to read?

;ReadLine4.au3
#include "TailRW.au3"
$s_Test = FileOpenDialog("Choose File", @ScriptDir, "Files (*.exe;*.dll;*.txt)", 1); ** put your file name HERE
Local $c_bulk = "Location of bulk txt file" ;$s_Test must be a file name ******************
Local $c_logs = "Location of server log file (txt, can't read log files...)";$s_Test must be a file name ******************
Local $i_line = 6;
$s_ReadLine = __FileReadLine ($s_Test, -$i_line, 1, 1) ;;** READS from the TAIL if Negative line number [to the end if 4th parm=1]
;~  __FileReadLine($s_File, $i_LineNumber = -1, $i_Beginning = 1,$i_ToEnd=0, $i_BufferSize = 8388608)
;~ MsgBox(0, "", "$s_ReadLine=" & $s_ReadLine)
FileWrite("AnswerLines.txt",$s_ReadLine)
runwait ("notepad "&"AnswerLines.txt")
Best, Randall