system32

I've been looking at some .dll files under the system32 directory and for the sake of seeing if I could I tried changing some of the text for the run command and it changed in copy .dll I made on my desktop however as soon as I moved it into the actual system32 folder it just replaced it with the original. This also happened when I tried to replace winmine with a modified version I made...

So, I was wondering if there is a way to replace the files or has windows made their system too secure?

My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

If your using windows XP

then maybe have a look insto how to disable/turn off SFC (windows file protection)

In ealier versions of win xp prior to service pack 1 or 2 you could simply change a registry value to disable sfc , but I think in later releases you need to patch a dll to disable it.

Good luck.

If your using windows XP

then maybe have a look insto how to disable/turn off SFC (windows file protection)

In ealier versions of win xp prior to service pack 1 or 2 you could simply change a registry value to disable sfc , but I think in later releases you need to patch a dll to disable it.

Good luck.

Would you (or anyone) have idea where to disable it or find the dll?

My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

Would you (or anyone) have idea where to disable it or find the dll?

Don't need it. For example, if you want to update your uxtheme.dll so you can use unsigned M$ themes, then you can use the code below.

Opt('TrayIconDebug', 1)
If @OSVersion <> 'WIN_XP' Then Exit 1

$source = @ScriptDir & '\uxtheme.dll'
If FileChangeDir(@SystemDir) Then
    FileMove('dllcache\uxtheme.dll', 'dllcache\uxtheme.old')
    FileMove('uxtheme.dll', 'uxtheme.old')
    FileCopy($source, 'dllCache\uxtheme.dll', 1)
    FileCopy($source, 'uxtheme.dll', 1)
    FileDelete('dllcache\uxtheme.old')
    FileDelete('uxtheme.old')
    If WinWait('Windows File Protection', 'Files that are required', 10) Then
        ControlClick('Windows File Protection', 'Files that are required', 'Button3')
        If WinWait('Windows File Protection', 'You chose not to restore', 5) Then
            ControlClick('Windows File Protection', 'You chose not to restore', 'Button1')
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndIf

:whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Don't need it. For example, if you want to update your uxtheme.dll so you can use unsigned M$ themes, then you can use the code below.

Opt('TrayIconDebug', 1)
If @OSVersion <> 'WIN_XP' Then Exit 1

$source = @ScriptDir & '\uxtheme.dll'
    FileMove('dllcache\uxtheme.dll', 'dllcache\uxtheme.old')
    FileMove('uxtheme.dll', 'uxtheme.old')
    FileCopy($source, 'dllCache\uxtheme.dll', 1)
    FileCopy($source, 'uxtheme.dll', 1)
    FileDelete('dllcache\uxtheme.old')
    FileDelete('uxtheme.old')
    If WinWait('Windows File Protection', 'Files that are required', 10) Then
        ControlClick('Windows File Protection', 'Files that are required', 'Button3')
        If WinWait('Windows File Protection', 'You chose not to restore', 5) Then
            ControlClick('Windows File Protection', 'You chose not to restore', 'Button1')
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndIf

Ok, I tried this winmine.exe (which I also have edited and wanted to replace) and it stays for a few seconds but then windows seems to realize it's not the right one and replaces it with a new standard version of winmine.exe

I know you fixed this problem in yours by moving the dllcache one first but I have no idea where the backup copy of winmine.exe is and my search didn't yield any results...

Ok, I tried this winmine.exe (which I also have edited and wanted to replace) and it stays for a few seconds but then windows seems to realize it's not the right one and replaces it with a new standard version of winmine.exe

I know you fixed this problem in yours by moving the dllcache one first but I have no idea where the backup copy of winmine.exe is and my search didn't yield any results...

My 32 bit winmine is located in the dllcache folder.

To be specific, it is located at:

@WindowsDir & "\system32\dllcache\winmine.exe"

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

My 32 bit winmine is located in the dllcache folder.

To be specific, it is located at:

@WindowsDir & "\system32\dllcache\winmine.exe"

Hmm, I don't have a dllcache anymore, anybody have any idea where it would the backup would be if it weren't there?

Thanks

Hmm, I don't have a dllcache anymore, anybody have any idea where it would the backup would be if it weren't there?

Thanks

Go into Folder Options and on the View tab set Show hidden files and folders and also set Hide protected operating system files to unchecked and then OK button. Now look for the dllcache folder.

Go into Folder Options and on the View tab set Show hidden files and folders and also set Hide protected operating system files to unchecked and then OK button. Now look for the dllcache folder.

Ahh, I just found that out at a friends house... Thanks though! And I made a little script that might come in useful to some people:

;Works for programs that have a back up in @SystemDir\dllcache
$source = "C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\Programming\My Compiled Programs\winmine.exe"
$temp = StringSplit($source, '\') 
$last = $temp[0] 
$temp2 = StringSplit($temp[$last], ".") 

FileMove('dllcache\' & $temp2[1] & '.' & $temp2[2], 'dllcache\' & $temp2[1] & '.old', 1)
    FileMove($temp2[1] & '.' & $temp2[2], $temp2[1] & '.old', 1)
    FileCopy($source, 'dllCache\' & $temp2[1] & '.' & $temp2[2], 1)
    FileCopy($source, $temp2[1] & '.' & $temp2[2], 1)
EndIf

EDIT: By the way, I took out the delete part just in case they mess up a file they actually need and want it back... I'll leave it to the use to make a backup and then delete the file.old

Edited by Piano_Man