Metadata on dvr-ms files

I'm in need of some help. I've searched a while on this one and cannot figure it out or find an easy solution. I use Windows XP Media center edition to record / DVR TV shows. I'm trying to write a script in AutoIT that will query the metadata of the dvr-ms files so I can rename the files to:

'TVShowTitle'_'EpisodeName' or

'TVShowTitle'_'Description' or

'TVShowTitle'_'CurrentDate_Time'

In that order.

Shows don't always have a Episode Name or Description. I've used a binary in the past that will rename files for me called DvrmsToolsSetup_v1.0.0.msi but it's limited and I want to use the power of AutoIT. The solution doesn't have to be in AutoIt either. If there is a VBS script any anything that can query these file types and output the metadata to an array or flat file, I can use that also.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mat

I'm in need of some help. I've searched a while on this one and cannot figure it out or find an easy solution. I use Windows XP Media center edition to record / DVR TV shows. I'm trying to write a script in AutoIT that will query the metadata of the dvr-ms files so I can rename the files to:

'TVShowTitle'_'EpisodeName' or

'TVShowTitle'_'Description' or

'TVShowTitle'_'CurrentDate_Time'

In that order.

Shows don't always have a Episode Name or Description. I've used a binary in the past that will rename files for me called DvrmsToolsSetup_v1.0.0.msi but it's limited and I want to use the power of AutoIT. The solution doesn't have to be in AutoIt either. If there is a VBS script any anything that can query these file types and output the metadata to an array or flat file, I can use that also.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mat

Is there COM objects assoiated with Win XP Media Center edition??? If so, you can most likely use that :)

Use the WMP COM obj to get the tags??

Edit: Im a fool :) DW what i said....

Edited by Bert

Meta Date from what file?

If you can give us a copy of the Meta data and the code you have tired, then we should be able to help.

The files end in an extention of *.dvr-ms. The files are too large to upload a sample unfortunately and the only code I've written so far is just to copy files from one location to another and not rename them as I was relying on the binary I mentioned in my first post.

Meta Date from what file?

If you can give us a copy of the Meta data and the code you have tired, then we should be able to help.

I'll check that out Brett. Thanks for the tip and I'll let you know what I find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on this little project of mine. The DvrmsToolsSetup_v1.0.0 application has a binary built into it that will parse *.dvr-ms files and export an xml file of the same name that will contain all of the metadata you'd ever want about dvr-ms files. Now, I just have to figure out how to read those files and extract the simple tags into variables. Attached is a sample file of the export. I'll figure it out even if it takes me a while.