'Sound' question: How to detect when Text-To-Speech engine is "playing"

This may not be possible, or it may just be way too complicated for an amateur like me.

I looked at the sound-related functions in the Help file. As far as I understand them they can be used (only) in relation to actual sound files. My problem is I have a need to detect if the sound being played by the computer is generated by the text-to-speech function of Windows.

A little bit of background: This is related to my freeware application which controls a third-party GPS navigation program. A user requested a feature which would mute his music (CD, MP3, etc) for the duration of the voice direction prompts given by the GPS navigation program (e.g. "Turn right in 1 mile"). Perhaps I could figure out how to mute the music, but I have no idea how to detect when the Windows Text-To-Speech engine (e.g. Microsoft Anna) is talking.

Any feedback/help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much for trying to help, but looking at your code I realized I should have been clearer about the fact that the voice direction prompts are coming from the 3rd party GPS navigation software (not from my application). So I need to detect when Text-To-Speech is "talking".