Reg key exists not reg value

Guys I wrote a script a while back, but I'm having a brain fart right now. What I did before:

for $k = 1 To $aRecords[0]
    Ping($new[$k],250)
        if @error Then; Could not even ping. Don't even waste time
            FileWriteLine("c:\results.txt", $new[$k] & "," & "could not ping")
            $noping = $noping + 1
        Else
            $checkval1 = RegRead("\\" & $new[$k] & "\" & $key, "")
            if @error Then; Could not connect to registry. Must not have admin rights
                FileWriteLine("c:\results.txt", $new[$k] & "," & "Registry failure")
                $norights = $norights + 1
            Else
                if $checkval == $regval Then; Remote Registry key matches required patched registry value
                    FileWriteLine("c:\results.txt", $new[$k] & "," & "Completed")
                    $patched = $patched + 1
                Else
                    FileWriteLine("c:\results.txt", $new[$k] & "," & "Not Patched")
                    $notpatched = $notpatched + 1
                EndIf
            EndIf
        EndIf
Next

This time I just want to find if a reg key exists and not a reg value. From what I can take you need to check for the default value of the key I'm looking for. Is that correct? I still want to keep the format where I ping the machine and if no reply than move onto the next. If I can ping I want to see if I have admin rights on the machine to even read the key. If I have admin rights I want to see if the key exists and if not than mark it as not existing so when I run the scan again later I can just scan the machines that still need a patch. Thanks.

Oh yea, the thing that is making this more difficult for me is that I knew the key existed above, built in key for all Windows machine, but this key I don't know if it exists or not and this is what I'm checking for. If key does not exist than I need to patch the machine.

Edited by notta

You just want to loop RegEnumKey():

$ParentKey = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mozilla"
$SearchKey = "Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4"
$k = 1
While 1
    If $SearchKey = RegEnumKey($ParentKey, $k) Then ExitLoop
    If @error Then
        $k = 0
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
WEnd

If $k Then
    MsgBox(64, "Found Key", "Found reg key: " & $ParentKey & "\" & $SearchKey)
Else
    MsgBox(16, "Key Not Found", "Did not find key: " & $ParentKey & "\" & $SearchKey)
EndIf

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Thanks for the help. I edited your code and changed the value of the $searchkey to equal my version of Firefox which is 2.0.0.3, but it failed. It would just sit there. My Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 key is the 4th sub key in the Mozilla main key. I changed $k to 4 and it worked great. Is there anyway to search for the just the main key? Example HKLM\SOFTWARE\SOME PROGRAM. Thanks for the help Psalty.

I may just have to search for a regvalue that is similiar in all installs of this software and than use regread. Funny thing is that I was testing regread:

if RegRead ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3", "") Then; key exists on my system
    MsgBox(0, "Test", "Exists")

Else
        MsgBox(0, "Test", "Does not exist")
EndIf

This comes back as does not exist, so I guess regread is not meant to be used for this purpose even though the docs for regread states that if you want the default value than just use "". Thanks again Psalty.

Thanks for the help. I edited your code and changed the value of the $searchkey to equal my version of Firefox which is 2.0.0.3, but it failed. It would just sit there. My Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 key is the 4th sub key in the Mozilla main key. I changed $k to 4 and it worked great.

Doh! :)

I forgot to increment $k. Put that just before the WEnd in the While loop and it will work without having to know which key it is:

$k = 1
While 1
    If $SearchKey = RegEnumKey($ParentKey, $k) Then ExitLoop
    If @error Then
        $k = 0
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
    $k += 1
WEnd

Is there anyway to search for the just the main key? Example HKLM\SOFTWARE\SOME PROGRAM. Thanks for the help Psalty.

Just change the $ParentKey to "HKLM\SOFTWARE" and the $SearchKey to "Mozilla", or "Adobe", or whatever.

I may just have to search for a regvalue that is similiar in all installs of this software and than use regread. Funny thing is that

You may be interested in a recursive registry search function posted by a certain devilishly good looking flightless waterfowl. :)

I was testing regread:

if RegRead ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3", "") Then; key exists on my system
    MsgBox(0, "Test", "Exists")

Else
        MsgBox(0, "Test", "Does not exist")
EndIf

This comes back as does not exist, so I guess regread is not meant to be used for this purpose even though the docs for regread states that if you want the default value than just use "". Thanks again Psalty.

RegRead() only reads 'Values', not 'Keys'. If the value name is "" then you are reading the 'Default' value.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law