Recursion level has been exceeded?

I have no idea what I did wrong, or how to fix this. Help will be appreciated :whistle:

HotKeySet("{DOWN}", "Toggle")

$toggle = 0

While 1
    If WinActive("SRO_Client") Then
        If $toggle = 1 Then
            Send("1",1)
        EndIf
    EndIf
    Sleep(2000)
WEnd

Func Toggle()
        If $toggle = 0 Then
            $toggle = 1
            ToolTip("1", 0, 0)
        Else
            $toggle = 0
            ToolTip("0", 0, 0)
        EndIf
    Else
        Send("{DOWN}")
    EndIf
EndFunc

CODE
>"C:\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /run /beta /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Scripts\Silkroad\Silkroad AutoAttack.au3" /autoit3dir "C:\AutoIt3\beta" /UserParams

+>09:52:46 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.1.9.2

>Running AU3Check (1.54.3.0) from:C:\AutoIt3\beta

+>09:52:46 AU3Check ended.rc:0

>Running:(3.1.1.133):C:\AutoIt3\beta\autoit3.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Scripts\Silkroad\Silkroad AutoAttack.au3"

C:\Documents and Settings\Rawr\My Documents\Scripts\Silkroad\Silkroad AutoAttack.au3 (24) : ==> Recursion level has been exceeded - AutoIt will quit to prevent stack overflow.:

Send("{DOWN}")

+>09:52:52 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0

+>09:52:52 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished

>Exit code: 0 Time: 6.653

It works fine up until I focus another window, and press down. It then crashes.

Edited by gamepin126

Toggle() is effectively calling itself as soon as you activate another window. You'll have to restructure your code to avoid recursion.

Edited by mikehunt114
IE Dev ToolbarMSDN: InternetExplorer ObjectMSDN: HTML/DHTML Reference Guide[quote]It is surprising what a man can do when he has to, and how little most men will do when they don't have to. - Walter Linn[/quote]--------------------[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Post a reproducer with less than 100 lines of code.[/font]

• Moderators

Else
        HotKeySet('{DOWN}')
        Send("{DOWN}")
        HotKeySet('{DOWN}', 'Toggle')
    EndIf
Just turn the hotkey off before you use Send() :whistle:

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

That works, thanks a lot. But why does it do this?

Well, you set the hotkey {down} ... then you Send {down} that means the hotkey is set again and repeats the function, obviously the condition isn't true, so it keeps doing it over and over, until you've done it 384 times and you get the recursion issue.

I usually use a _HotKeySend() function when I need to send something so I don't have to keep writing HotKeySet(Key)/Send()/HotKeySet(key,function) all the time.

Example:

Global $sToggle = 'Toggle'
HotKeySet("{DOWN}", $sToggle)

$toggle = 0

While 1
        If $toggle = 1 Then
            Send("1",1)
        EndIf
    EndIf
    Sleep(2000)
WEnd

Func Toggle()
    If WinActive("Untitled - Notepad") Then
        If $toggle = 0 Then
            $toggle = 1
            ToolTip("1", 0, 0)
        Else
            $toggle = 0
            ToolTip("0", 0, 0)
        EndIf
    Else
        _HotKeySend('{DOWN}', '{DOWN}', $sToggle)
    EndIf
EndFunc

Func _HotKeySend($sSend, $sHotKey, $sFunction)
    HotKeySet($sHotKey)
    Send($sSend)
    Return HotKeySet($sHotKey, $sFunction)
EndFunc

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Pressing "DOWN" calls the function Toggle()...which presses "DOWN"...which calls Toggle()...which presses "DOWN"....see where I'm going?

Calling a function within itself creates an infinite loop, which eats up your computer's memory. AutoIt has a recursion level limit to prevent you from consuming all your computer's memory and crashing your puter.

IE Dev ToolbarMSDN: InternetExplorer ObjectMSDN: HTML/DHTML Reference Guide[quote]It is surprising what a man can do when he has to, and how little most men will do when they don't have to. - Walter Linn[/quote]--------------------[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Post a reproducer with less than 100 lines of code.[/font]