Please explain DIM

Dirk98

Can any kind sole explain what is DIM, variable, constant and array to me? I don't understand the short explanation and examples in the Help. Or do you know a resource where I can get myself some education in these concepts? But since I'm not going to plunge too deep, I would very much appreciate if you give your everyday understanding of them. Many thanks!

Dirk. :)

• Moderators

Dirk, I'd suggest using Google... To be honest, it would take a lot of work to try and explain each of those to your understanding.

Thank goodness for you that there have people on the forum that have taken their valuable time to make it easier on those that don't understand as much as they could or should.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...c=19434&hl=

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21048

Take a look at these, one is a "newb so to speak" tutorial, the other is an interactive one.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Can any kind sole explain what is DIM, variable, constant and array to me? I don't understand the short explanation and examples in the Help. Or do you know a resource where I can get myself some education in these concepts? But since I'm not going to plunge too deep, I would very much appreciate if you give your everyday understanding of them. Many thanks!

Dirk. :)

Though the Helpfile and the tutorials smoke gave you should help, I'll try explaining.

There are 3 main ways to define a variable.

• Global
  • Local
  • Dim
Global - A variable defined as "global" can be referenced from anywhere in the script. It can be changed or re-defined at any time.

Local - Variable defined as "local" only exist in functions that they are created in. If they are created outside of any function, they are treated as global.

Dim - Dim basically is just a combination of Global and Local. It will declare a variable as local, unless it already exists as a global variable.

Now I will give you some examples.

Global -

;Globals can be referenced anywhere.
Global $foo = "Green"

Msgbox(0,"Outside of the function",$foo)
test()

Func Test()
Msgbox(0,"Inside of the function",$foo)
EndFuncoÝ÷ Ù²èq©m«­¢+ÙÑÍÐ ¤()Õ¹QÍÐ ¤)1½°ÀÌØí½¼ôÅÕ½ÐíɸÅÕ½Ðì)5ͽà À°ÅÕ½Ðí%¹Í¥½Ñ¡Õ¹Ñ¥½¸ÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØí½¼¤)¹Õ¹()5ͽà À°ÅÕ½Ðí=ÕÑÍ¥½Ñ¡Õ¹Ñ¥½¸ÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØí½¼¤

Perhaps that will clear some things up?

something else to know about Dim

if you have your script checked for warnings for example put the following at the top of your script:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_au3check_parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6oÝ÷ Û*.Â)eëmçèZ0xºÚ"µÍÐTSÎ ÌÎNÑ[IÌÎNÈXØ]YÈXÛ][ÛYÈÙHØØ[ÜÛØ[

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.