Sign in to follow this  
Der_Andi

Find the Listening-Socket automatically?

Hi all,

normally, you have to specify the server's ip adress and the port number, if you want to TCPConnect it.

Is there a way, to make the client find this ip adress automatically?

If it's a server on your local LAN, you could simply run through the available IP's (your subnet) and attempt to connect to them. If it's not local, I don't know.

It would be easier if the server was broadcasting its address somehow, but you didn't mention whether you were also writing the server part.

;o)

(or

nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool..

If it's a server on your local LAN, you could simply run through the available IP's (your subnet) and attempt to connect to them. If it's not local, I don't know.

It would be easier if the server was broadcasting its address somehow, but you didn't mention whether you were also writing the server part.

Yes, i wrote the server, too, and i already had the idea of broadcasting the IP. But i don't know how to realize that at all.

This script could/would run at my university's LAN. There i get the ip address via DHCP, so it would be very comfortable, if i don't had to inform all the other participants of my current address.

It would probably be a lot easier to just setup a proper host name for the server. Then whatever supplies DNS locally could handle all the tricky stuff. That's the way it's done world-wide, aka. "the internet". The clients then simply point themselves at "the-server", or whatever you decide to call it. Check here.

;o)

(or

nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool..

Sure, the hostname! Should work with an uncommon hostname.

But i just found a way, how to send and receive the broadcast.

First, run the following script. It runs, until you close it via standard tray icon.

UDPStartup()
$socket = UDPBind(@IPAddress1, 65000)
If @error <> 0 then Exit

While 1
    $data = UDPRecv($socket, 50)
    If $data <> "" Then
        MsgBox(0, "", $data, 1)
    EndIf
    Sleep(1000)
WEnd

Change the IP addresses, if necessary.

Edited by Der_Andi