error handling with Fileread function

Hi

here is my pb, I have to read some files. My script works well but when files are big (generally over 150 Mb, it depends of the computer/state of memory...) I got a message error : "Error allocating memory." and the script end

I'd like to know if its possible to prevent this message box and simply handle error in my script so I could skip this file.

$Result = Test("c:\mybigfile")
ConsoleWrite($Result & @CR)

Func Test($sFilePath)
    $hFile = FileOpen($sFilePath,16)
    If $hFile = -1 Then
        SetError(1)
        Return 0
    EndIf
    $s_Line=FileRead($hFile,FileGetSize($sFilePath))
; here is my error message "Error allocating memory."
; the scripts ends and console is AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:1
    If @error = -1 Then
        ConsoleWrite("error detected" & @CR)
        FileClose($hFile)
        Return "error detected"
    EndIf
    FileClose($hFile)
    Return $s_Line
EndFunc  ;==>Test
Edited by baghenamoth

Hi

here is my pb, I have to read some files. My script works well but when files are big (generally over 150 Mb, it depends of the computer/state of memory...) I got a message error : "Error allocating memory." and the script end

I'd like to know if its possible to prevent this message box and simply handle error in my script so I could skip this file.

$Result = Test("c:\mybigfile")
ConsoleWrite($Result & @CR)

Func Test($sFilePath)
    $hFile = FileOpen($sFilePath,16)
    If $hFile = -1 Then
        SetError(1)
        Return 0
    EndIf
    $s_Line=FileRead($hFile,FileGetSize($sFilePath))
; here is my error message "Error allocating memory."
; the scripts ends and console is AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:1
    If @error = -1 Then
        ConsoleWrite("error detected" & @CR)
        FileClose($hFile)
        Return "error detected"
    EndIf
    FileClose($hFile)
    Return $s_Line
EndFunc  ;==>Test
FileGetSize?

Hello baghenamoth,

I believe what Bert is implying ( Bert: please correct me if I am wrong ) is that you should test the size of the file prior to opening it. If the file size is problematic for your environment, then do not open it.

What I believe you are asking is if there is any structured error handling ( like "try...catch" blocks ) that can by employed in AutoIt scripts. I don't believe that functionality exists. Perhaps some industrious individuals on this forum have invented a way, but I have yet to see it.

Have you been able to re-create this error on any other machines using the same files?

Zach...

Hello baghenamoth,

I believe what Bert is implying ( Bert: please correct me if I am wrong ) is that you should test the size of the file prior to opening it. If the file size is problematic for your environment, then do not open it.

yes i could do this but the size depends of the machine (cpu/memory...) and I need to open read and modify those files.

What I believe you are asking is if there is any structured error handling ( like "try...catch" blocks ) that can by employed in AutoIt scripts. I don't believe that functionality exists. Perhaps some industrious individuals on this forum have invented a way, but I have yet to see it.

this is exactly what I'me looking for..

Have you been able to re-create this error on any other machines using the same files?

Zach...

oh yes, many many time ;-)

anyway I found a solution :

calling a first exe waiting for error message

for each file (generally less than 100) calling a second exe which is going to open it, doing some stuff and returns ok if everithing is ok

when this second exe doesn't return ok I try an alternative : opening and reading the file line by line instead of opening it in one way

yes it's a little bit "tiré par les cheveux" as we say in french, but it works

anyway, thx for your answers