_GUICtrlTreeView_SetChecked not working?

Klaatu

Trying to interact with the treeview control on Explorer's Tools/Options... dialog:

#include <GuiTreeView.au3>

$hWnd = ControlGetHandle('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]')
$c = _GUICtrlTreeView_GetCount($hWnd)
$d = _GUICtrlTreeView_FindItem($hWnd, 'Hide extensions for known file types', False, 0)
If $d Then
   $e = _GUICtrlTreeView_GetText($hWnd, $d)
   $f = _GUICtrlTreeView_SetChecked($hWnd, $d, True)
EndIf

Here's the output of my DebugIt program:

0001: #include <GuiTreeView.au3>
0003: $hWnd = ControlGetHandle('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]')
    : ... $hWnd = 0x002A0AB2
0004: $c = _GUICtrlTreeView_GetCount($hWnd)
    : ... $c = 24
0005: $d = _GUICtrlTreeView_FindItem($hWnd, 'Hide extensions for known file types', False, 0)
    : ... $d = 0x02AE7CF8
0006: If $d Then
    : ... $d = 0x02AE7CF8
0007:   $e = _GUICtrlTreeView_GetText($hWnd, $d)
    :   ... $e = 'Hide extensions for known file types'
    :   ... $hWnd = 0x002A0AB2
    :   ... $d = 0x02AE7CF8
0008:   $f = _GUICtrlTreeView_SetChecked($hWnd, $d, True)
    :   ... $f = True
    :   ... $hWnd = 0x002A0AB2
    :   ... $d = 0x02AE7CF8
0009: EndIf

So, the function in question is returning true, indicating success, yet when I look at the dialog still up on my screen, the item does not show a checkmark in it like I would expect.

Is it broken, or, more likely, what am I doing wrong?

My Projects:DebugIt - Debug your AutoIt scripts with DebugIt!

Well, it looks like it's probably not _GUICtrlTreeView_SetChecked, and on a positive note it looks like it's probably not me either! I just noticed that 3.2.10.0 has a ControlTreeView command that it didn't before, so I tried using that instead:

$hWnd = ControlGetHandle('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]')
$c = ControlTreeView('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]','GetItemCount', '#0')
$d = ControlTreeView('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]','IsChecked','#0|Hide extensions for known file types')

And again the debug output:

0001: $hWnd = ControlGetHandle('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]')
    : ... $hWnd = 0x002A0DE6
0002: $c = ControlTreeView('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]','GetItemCount', '#0')
    : ... $c = 18
0003: $d = ControlTreeView('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]','IsChecked','#0|Hide extensions for known file types')
    : ... $d = -1

So, 'IsChecked' is returning -1, indicating that this item is not a checkbox, even though we can clearly see in the dialog box a series of checkboxes for the different items. So I would assume that _GUICtrlTreeView_SetChecked is finding the same thing. It must be a Microsoft trick!

Still, the problem exists of how to interact with these checkboxes, but it doesn't appear that _GUICtrlTreeView_SetChecked is the culprit in this instance.

Well, it looks like it's probably not _GUICtrlTreeView_SetChecked, and on a positive note it looks like it's probably not me either! I just noticed that 3.2.10.0 has a ControlTreeView command that it didn't before, so I tried using that instead:

$c = ControlTreeView('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]','GetItemCount', '#0')
$d = ControlTreeView('Folder Options','','[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]','IsChecked','#0|Hide extensions for known file types')oÝ÷ Ø Ýj¢Ø^uæî­¦ë¡×´ÓMyóMúiÝ

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

Sometimes what looks like and behaves like a checkbox in treeviews is not what it seems

Apparently so! Hey, thanks Bowmore, that certainly did it! How did you find out those commands would interact with what Microsoft tries to make look like a checkbox but really isn't?

Well, looks like I spoke too soon. While the above code does appear to check the item in question, it doesn't actually change the option to match. I can see that by clicking OK to dismiss the dialog, then displaying it again. The option has not actually changed to match the visual state of the "checkbox". I can also see now that I pay attention that the "Apply" button never changes to enabled to indicate that any item in the treeview has changed state, like would normally occur if I checked the box manually. Hope this makes sense.

So, while visually the above code does put a checkmark in the box, it's not doing the same thing as would normally happen when someone clicks on that option.

Oh well, thanks anyway, but as for what I need the code to accomplish, it's back to the drawing board...

• 1 year later...